d 40 fuel fillter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how much you want to pay, I think I remember someone on here suggesting that the genuine filter was about $170, although there is after market options for less. Doesn't the book say every 20K?

most cars fuel filters are 40K service intervals which works for me, If you buy fuel from same the garage everytime and it has a big turnover you could get way longer out of a filter without a change, opposite if you travel around using small out of the way servos that have fuel sitting for long times.

Woznme makes a good point.

Fuel from small-turnover outlets is likely to have a higher concentration of waxing, debris and water in the fuel. High turnover outlets - like truck stops - you'd expect the fuel to be fresher, so there's less chance of it having much wax, and you'd also have to imagine that debris and water amounts would be less.

When we were being handed the keys to our Navara, the dealer told us to try and stick, as much as possible, to truck ports, as the higher turnover means fresher fuel.

So far, so good. And no, the manual says nothing about the frequency of replacing the filter.

hmmm i do mine every 5000k same as air filter/oil etc...prob over kill but heard the yd25 cr struggles bad if water is found with fuel.

further tip about high turnover stations is not to get fuel if the fuel trucks are refueling the station..the reason being is it stirs the water vapour (ceiling) in the tank and the fuel itslef then contains more water.

i have a fairly new fuel station near me which the trucks refuel every thursday. so at least i know the tank underground is cleaner and i refuel tuesday/wednesday

im prob bit paranoid but i cant fork out $5000 and not going to wait 6 months for nissan to import a new cryd25

Thanks for that guys i think i might change it soon. I ask this question only because just did the oil and oil fillter and got a k & n air filtter.cheers. guys

The service specification (according to the service schedule in the manual in your glove box) says 40K for the fuel filter.

I tried one of the after-market fuel filters when I performed my 40K service recently. Leaked like a sieve out the bottom of the filter when I reinstalled the water sensor. Immediately replaced with a factory item... I won't be using aftermarket fuel filters again.

Out of interest, I changed my fuel filter the first time at 20K - half what the "factory" recommends.

Similarly, I change my oil at 5,000km. Air filters as needed... But fairly frequently.

Internal combustion engines need basically 3 things to run well for a long and healthy life:

-Clean air
-Clean oil
-Clean fuel

People are happy to change their air filters frequently, engine oil and engine oil filters frequently, however I believe that fuel filters are often overlooked. And unfortunate as it is, bad fuel (or badly filtered fuel) can grenade your engine.

Anthony: was the filter you tried that leaked a Sakura like you suggested you'd buy in another thread?

There is a mob in Bendigo (or Ballarat maybe) advertising several Sakura filters, one of which is the fuel filter which they say can be used with the water sensor, their prices are reasonable for a fleabay store and they claim Sakura are OEM for Nissan (as well as many others).

Gotta get off my arse and organise the bits for my 20K service soon

Hi Krafty,

Yes, it was branded as a Sakura (in the box) and it leaked when I inserted the original water sensor. It is the after-market filter which I said I was going to try in a previous thread.

Perhaps it was me or a technique problem - although I am generally quite competent with such things. Am happy to admit fault where fault is apparent though.

So now that I have tried an after market filter.....I'll be sticking with genuine.....albeit, still replacing the filter at half the interval the factory recommends....

The filter did look very similar to the OEM filter, however was by no means the same - was quite different in a number of ways. It's in the rubbish now and has been for a number of weeks so I can't refer to it for detailed description.

While Sakura MAY provide Nissan with OEM filters for OTHER things, it did not appear to me that they provide Nissan with the same filter as is boxed for Nissan and provided over the counter as the spares counter.

The Thai build King cab is every 60K, and it's different to Spain build. I wonder what type the ST has?

Spare parts for these trucks is going to be a nightmare, We better start trying to memorize the build date and VIN.

As much as cost is usually somewhat of an issue for everything we do and paying double the price for something just because it's got Nissan written on it does suck, $170 (I think that's what was suggested as the genuine price) really isn't that bad for the amount of times you buy these things, would be different if you were replacing them every 3 weeks.

Are you aware that Repco have a replacement part for $50 !!!

The question I have is which filter is it....

Is it the "spin on" filter that is used on the early build D40's, or is it the style with the 4 outlets in the top, as used on the 2008 onwards Spanish build?

That is the question...

The spin on ones are cheap...even Ryco have them

Latest posts

Back