thoughs on intercooler location

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendan

Reaction score
well i got an intercooler, its much much bigger then i though!

540mm smallest end and 640 biggest end including outlet/inlet whatever you want it to be.

got 2 options on mounting..

vertical- may be a problem running the piping, may hang down a little but not past the bar work, i would make up a bash plate at the bottom to protect the intercooler from any damage that may occur. will this effect any air flow?

horizontal- may have to driller a hole in the bullbar for pipe work, but may be able to get 1 pipe in a hole already there. problem mounting this way i see is getting airflow to the intercooler without effecting the radiator much, i was thinking of mounting it so it doesnt get in the way of the airflow where the plastic grill is.

just after opinions on mounting it ect. i can make bash plate to protect piping ect

24092010290.jpg

24092010287.jpg

24092010289.jpg

24092010288.jpg

Mine is mounted on the passenger side behind the grill but mine is smaller then that.

Even behind the bullbar they still make a decent difference.

On a 40C day the ZD30's are pigs, intercool it and it will go as well in the day time as night time.

Dave.

Mine is mounted on the passenger side behind the grill but mine is smaller then that.

Even behind the bullbar they still make a decent difference.

On a 40C day the ZD30's are pigs, intercool it and it will go as well in the day time as night time.

Dave.

yeah come to think of it they arnt intercooler standard and assuming nissan where not tight asses they would have done test in extream heat/conditions so it should be ok in any possition.

Dont expect neck snapping perfornce enhancement, makes them go a bit better on a cold night but without adding extra fuel there isn't huge gains.

Still a worth while mod though.

Dave.

yeha i know its not going to be much of a different. the real reason i sort of rushed out and order was reading about turbo issues, intercooler ccheap insurance.

ive been thinking again, what would be your thoughs on mounting it infront of the plastic grill, doing this is going to cut flow to the radiator, but so would spot lights mouted there (which i plan on doing)

I have 2 big spotties on the front of mine and the temp gauge has never moved, 1 thing Nissan did well with the ZD30 by far is put a overkill cooling system on them.

Even the GU ZD30's run bigger radiators then the TD42Ti.

If it was me Id try and keep it behind the grill.

Dave.

thats good to know. i will say that it is my daily driver, i dont cary any loads and if i do its a one off.

so your saying it should be ok if i mount it behind the plastic grill (where the nissan badge is)

also too what is that radiator sort o thing mounted on the right in the last pic? and what does the thermo fan there do? aircon? i was thinking of moving them in closer to the radiator to give me more room.

does anyone know where i can get a universal piping kit in stainless?

Last edited:
That little radiator with the pipe is the power steering cooler.

It will be fine behind the grill, the fan is for the condensor. (air con radiator) Leave it on.

Look on ebay for universal pipes.

Dave.

the real reason i sort of rushed out and order was reading about turbo issues, intercooler ccheap insurance.

I was thinking of doing it for the same reason, but then I thought if the turbo lets go isn't it the hot/exhaust side that's gonna fail normally and how will the inter-cooler help then ??? Never seen a blown turbo so i'm only asking the question.

why dont u just tac mig it to the front of ur nudge bar...wouldnt get any cooler than than plus it would put all the ricers and theyre cut front bumber front mounts to shame mate ;-)

I was thinking of doing it for the same reason, but then I thought if the turbo lets go isn't it the hot/exhaust side that's gonna fail normally and how will the inter-cooler help then ??? Never seen a blown turbo so i'm only asking the question.

dosn't matter if the exhaust lets go as it will just go down the exhaust.

why dont u just tac mig it to the front of ur nudge bar...wouldnt get any cooler than than plus it would put all the ricers and theyre cut front bumber front mounts to shame mate ;-)

sorry mate, but your an idiot and half the reason you can never find usful info when searching.

also, intercooler aluminium, bullbar steel. you work it out

Last edited:
I'll get a couple photo's of mine up.. Exactly the same cooler and fits perfect with the steel bullbar... I've just converted to an alloy bullbar and it just hangs a little lower but gets alot better airflow onto it without chop and cuts...

yeah mate that would be awesome for some pics, give me an idea where to run pipe, mounting ect

Got the pics on my phone... If you send me a txt 0421683501 i'll send through some pics... Let me know if you need any info...

When i first installed it i did it with the big steely winch bar on...

I now have the alloy bullbar on and gets much better airflow.. Much much lighter and looks better IMO...

Send me a text..

is it to suit a r32 skyline or ford xr6?, mine looks similar and i mounted it on top of the engine, massive difference but it was a squish.

cheers mark.

Latest posts

Back