Reset BCM

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

I know I'm being lazy here by not looking this up in the manual myself but reading all that electrical stuff just doesn't seem to appealing right now, besides someone else might benefit from this one day.

Does anyone know where the fuse to reset the BCM is or if there is a procedure like the ECU reset for the BCM. Pulling the battery leads and resetting the entire system is no doubt one way but I was hoping I could find a way that didn't involve code resetting, trip meter resetting and scangauge resetting.

I'm not sure I'd want to do that. The manual states:

*When replacing BCM, you must perform WRITE CONFIGURATION with CONSULT-II.
* Complete the procedure of WRITE CONFIGURATION in order.
* If you set incorrect WRITE CONFIGURATION, incidents will occur.
* Configuration is different for each vehicle model. Confirm configuration of each vehicle model.

I think its configuration is stored in NVRAM, which makes it non-resettable. You can edit settings with a CONSULT-II device, but it doesn't say a lot about performing a reset of the BCM.

Thats interesting, I thought I read somewhere that it like the ECU has some sort of volatile memory and will loose power the same way the ECU does if the battery is disconnected therefore making a reset entirely possible.

Bloody thing is in a good spot for access, gotta make you wonder why they put something they don't want you to play with in such a good spot and stuff the things you may want to play with in holes.

Maybe because if you stuff the BCM, it costs $$ to get it reprogrammed, so they put it in a place where you're likely to do just that?

Maybe they're thinking "moneyspinner" when they were bolting it into place.

Yeah that could be it. I was doing a little tracing before and there is quite a few fuses that come and go from the BCM you have to wonder if one of those going to the BCM ever blows (and lets face it any fuse is likely to blow no matter where it is installed) whether it's a simple replace the fuse and the BCM is happy or if it's back to Nissan for an expensive fuse replacement under the guise of BCM reprogramming.

The wiring diagram shows 4 fuses directly linked to 4 pins of the BCM. Almost seems like a redneck solution. "Dagnammit, we need more lektrissty, ah'll git anudda feeyooz and see how ya'll like that."

I'm fairly sure one of those fuses is a 50Amp fuse too (if i read it properly before). They expect some decent lektrissty going down that path for a 50A fuse.

What the hell kind of computer uses 600W these days? Even with a SCSI drive, NVidia graphics blah blah blah you can get away with 400W.

Maybe it's because the BCM also feeds power to the door locks and lights.

The door locks aren't that much of a drain. I measured between 10 and 12 volts across the terminals for a fraction of a second and the current must be fairly low when you consider the cable they use would be flat out having half a dozen strands in it.

The windows use a thicker cable but ti;s still not that thick and none of the wires going to the BCM are like fencing wire so it's got me buggered what they need 50Amp for. I guess it could be a case of using all possible things at once even if it;s only for a fraction of a second but even so it;s still a big fuse.

I wonder if we should be worried about needing a 50amp fuse so close to our feet. Next time you feel a vibration at your feet it might be more than just the rough road.

What the hell kind of computer uses 600W these days? Even with a SCSI drive, NVidia graphics blah blah blah you can get away with 400W.

Maybe it's because the BCM also feeds power to the door locks and lights.
There are actually heaps out there these days that run big power supplies. Fujitsu makes a workstation with a 240V 5Amp supply and the thing runs like a small furnace.
I know of servers from HP that run dual 1000w power suppies

The BCM controls all the lights power windows etc so will have a fair bit of current running thru it .

People keep referring to this flux capacitor and 88mph as a bad thing but I seem to remember Marty having a ball each time he hit 88mph. I'm not sure my tyres would withstand the fire trails that Delorian left (they are just standard Continentals after all) but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Get over yourself Aussie you had to change the mood of the thread from light banter to "I've seen bigger" then someone comes along and does the same to you and you go all defensive. The topic wasn't even about who's seen or got the biggest computer it was silly conversation about a 600watt 12v computer used to move a window up and down. If you want to take my throw away comments as a personal attack them I'm really sorry for you.

well how bout I was actually saying that large power supplies arent uncommon these days and that the control modules in the vehicles do carry large currents .
The BCM is not a learning unit it is just a firmware based switching box that can be reprogrammed but doesnt learn anything.The BCM is basically a PLC or programmable logic controller.

well how bout I was actually saying that large power supplies arent uncommon these days and that the control modules in the vehicles do carry large currents .
The BCM is not a learning unit it is just a firmware based switching box that can be reprogrammed but doesnt learn anything.The BCM is basically a PLC or programmable logic controller.

See, I didn't know that, and I haven't converted my Sports Bar into a Drinking Bar yet either.

Actually, the manual does sort of imply that there are no user-modifiable settings for it. Seems that all the programming that is available in it is for devices that are attached to the vehicle, so if you take it back to Nissan to have central locking fitted (just as an example), they can hook that into the BCM for you.

My concern was that a "factory default" would be for a car without any extras, and suddenly Krafty would be stuck without being able to open doors etc. If it's just NVRAM and not resettable, there's no drama.

Latest posts

Back