VNOG - High country trip this weekend (Oct 29-31)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Hey guys, with the track closures being lifted on Thursday, a high country trip is on the cards. I'm keen to head up to Buller on Fri after work, camp Fri night and then hit Corn Hill road, up Howqua Gap to the summit of Stirling, down to Craigs Hut, then across to King Basin Road, up to Lake Cobbler and then over to Bright to camp Sat night. Sunday I wanna hit the Blue Rag Range track and then back to Melbourne. Anyone keen???????? Depending on how wet the tracks are i'd say the difficulty would be med/hard, only recommended mods would be a snorkel (could prolly get away with a water blind) and good AT's or muddies. Throwing in the fishing gear to hit a few trout streams along the way too. Anyone keen?

Check the tracks with DSE/Parks - I understand they aren't going to open up everything due to the poor condition of some tracks as a result of the wet weather.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Copied from Mud Rhino Forum.

http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/upload/track info/2010_10_21 PV DSE Forest road and track open.pdf

Storm and flood damage keeps some forest tracks closed.

Some roads and tracks in Victoria’s forests and parks that were temporarily closed for winter will remainclosed for repairs to damage caused by the recent storms and flooding.

The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) and Parks Victoria run a program of seasonalroad closures to provide safe conditions and protect our forest roads from damage during the wetter
months.

Acting DSE Manager – Statewide Roading & Bridges Program, Wayne Beaton said: “We are progressing well with assessing the extent of the damage across Victoria and we are working to repair roads and
stream crossings that have sustained minor damage but it’s clear that some won’t re-open on October 28 as we had originally planned.”

“There is evidence of significant land slips and bridge failures on some popular tourist routes that will require detailed engineering assessment and design before they can be repaired. These roads will be closed until the risks to the public can be addressed.”

“For up to date information on the roads and tracks still needing repairs go to: Parks Victoria: Parkweb.vic.gov.au .”

Parks Victoria spokesperson Ross Williamson said: “Under the seasonal road closure program bush roads and tracks were temporarily closed from June 17th and would normally re-open on October 28th.

“Some significant roads and tracks in our forests and parks that were temporarily closed on June 17 won’t re-open as usual because of the damage to the road surface or important crossings in September’s severe
wet weather,” Mr Williamson said.

“This is particularly the case in the Alpine National Park north of the Great Divide, the Howqua Hills Historic Area, and the parks along the Murray upstream from Barmah.”

“Some of the significant roads and tracks that won’t re-open on October 28th include;
• King Basin Road (Alpine National Park)
• Howqua Hills Track (Alpine National Park)
• Mt Pinnabar Track (Alpine National Park)
• Circuit Road, from Howqua Gap to King Saddle (North East)
• Clear Hills from Circuit Road to Craigs Hut (North East)
• Upper Dargo Road (East Gippsland)
• Main Mt Cole Road (South West)
• Waterace Road (South West)
• Macalister River Track (Alpine National Park)
• Bluff Link Road (Alpine National Park)
• 16 Mile Jeep Track (Alpine National Park)
• Little Cobbler Track (Alpine National Park)
• Speculation Road (Alpine National Park)
• Burnt Hut Creek Track (Grampians National Park) …./2
• Lynches Crossing Track (Grampians National Park)
• Briggs Track (Grampians National Park)
• Moora Track (Grampians National Park) and
• Mair Track (Grampians National Park)“

Any roads that were temporarily closed but haven’t been damaged will re-open as normal on October 28.”

"While the wet weather has shut some tracks it has also given the environment a new lease of life. Spring is a great time to get out and see the impact of the recent rains and there are hundreds of great tracks and
trails through our parks and forests that are open and accessible.

“We ask anyone who is affected by an extension to the temporary closure of a road or track to be patient and continue to obey the closure until repairs are completed.”

“The best advice is to check local conditions on the website."

For more information about road closures contact the DSE Customer Service Centre on 136 186 or Parks Victoria on 13 1963 or go to Parks Victoria: Parkweb.vic.gov.au
Media contacts – DSE (Nick Talbot) 0408 473 278 or Parks Victoria (Steve Gartland) 0458 376 834

Cheers for the info. Surely some of the expected re-opening dates have to be typos! Taken straight from the Vic Parks/DSE extended road closures:

Circuit Rd Part from Howqua Gap to King Saddle
Part
Before Melb Cub - 28th Oct 2011
Clear Hills from Circuit Rd to Craigs Hut
Part
Corn Hill Logging Tk
All
Corn Hill Tk
All
Evans Ck Tk
All
Goldsworthys Tk
All
Mine Cr Tk
All
King Basin Rd
All
Monument Tk
All
No 3 Rd
All
Pinnacle Tk
All
Stony Ck Tk
All
Three Chain Tk
All
Spectualation Rd
All
Steiners Rd
All
Weston Tk
All

This would mean they are not going to open any of the tracks around Buller until next Summer!

what time suits you.9ish I would think.You can meet at my place or at the bp in healesville if you like.
Woody is coming out with me saturday if that is better for you but doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back