Tough Dog lift kit - Great

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalcat

Reaction score
Hey all. Well just got my 2" Tough dog lift kit and am very happy. both front and back have gone up 100mm. just wanted to know if this is normal and how much roughly will it drop over the next few weeks?

thanks

Why are you happy? Sounds like you got some serious problems to sort out, quality springs should only sag 10-15mm

Coil bucket contact, CV angles, brake lines, wheel alignment, shocker damage.

I would be making some phone calls to the supplier. 2" shocks aren't going to work with 4" of spring lift.

really? shit. so this 2" lift kit i got, why did it bring my car up so much? i have already had the wheel alignment done. i will take it back and see if theres going to be any potential probs. they told me there wouldnt be though..

thanks kingcab

really? shit. so this 2" lift kit i got, why did it bring my car up so much? i have already had the wheel alignment done. i will take it back and see if theres going to be any potential probs. they told me there wouldnt be though..

thanks kingcab

Sounds like you have fitted a super duper extra extra heavy duty set of springs.

You could safely get away with 65-75mm on the front, CV angles aren't too bad, limits downward travel a bit, because the upper control arm hits the coil bucket, your's must almost be hard against it!

Definitely need longer rear brake lines for 50mm+ and you need to pull the ABS lines out of the rubber grommets otherwise they will get stretched/broken. very $$ repair.

Ask you wheel aligner what the camber was. it should be set as near to 0 as possible. I have 65mm of lift with no adjustment left. Some guys fit longer top ball joints, or offset bushes to try and correct the geometry.

Running longer brake lines is not necessary, I'm running a 3" suspension lift with stock brake lines, just unclip them and you should be fine.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I live in Greece (my bad). By saying that longer brake lines are not necessary I mean that stock ones will work fine as long as you allow them some slack by uncliping them. I can post a pic of mine if you like.

However, you mean that in Australia you are not allowed to unclip your brake-lines or that you can't run a 3" suspension (I think the latter)?

Bloody hell don't strike fear into him Kingcab, it may not be an issue. dpalcat I have Heavy duty Lovells coils that brought the front up 75mm with my steel bar, I am continually told I will have problems etc, my wheel alignment is fine and I havent had coil bucket contact, havent broken a CV (touch wood) and to my knowledge havent done any shocker damage. The only problem I have had and I will be putting slightly softer coils in because of it is they are quite harsh. It handles superbly with little body roll on the streets but is too hard for off road. Yours sounds a little more extreme at 100mm, so definately keep an eye on it and see how it is after the springs settle (if they even do).

I am guessing you got heavy duty coils but havent got a bullbar? I think you will find they are just too stiff mate, same mistake I made. While it is new you may be able to argue to whoever fitted them and see if they will swap them with a softer one saying that they are lifting the car too high.

As for the rear, again mine came up 100mm, has probably settled to 90 or so now that I have got fridge, canopy, battery etc. Some Navara's do run short with the brake lines, mine definately do not, I have checked it at full stretch many times and they are still fine, so check your own before you panic about it.

PM a guy on here called Zordo, what he doesnt know about suspension isn't worth knowing. I'm not sure where you are but he is in brisbane and is a good bloke. Might be good for a second opinion.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I live in Greece (my bad). By saying that longer brake lines are not necessary I mean that stock ones will work fine as long as you allow them some slack by uncliping them. I can post a pic of mine if you like.

However, you mean that in Australia you are not allowed to unclip your brake-lines or that you can't run a 3" suspension (I think the latter)?

Well actually both mods unclipping and a 3" lift are both considered un-roadworthy. Of course that doesn't mean people don't do it.

New longer brakes hoses should only cost around $80 not a lot to do the job properly.

New longer brakes hoses should only cost around $80 not a lot to do the job properly.

Yeah, cost is not much and I've been told that after-market brake lines like these PRG Products

offer better braking over stock ones, this is due to the fact that stock ones are elastic and don't pressurize brake fluid as much leading to the spongy feel our brakes have. I haven't done this one yet so don't take my word for granted.

I put Tough Dog in my D40 front and rear and got 30mm lift to front and 65mm to rear. No extensions to brake lines etc just bent the brackets so when the car is on a hoist and the wheels drop to there fullest there is no problem. This was with a alloy tray and 450kg OME leaf springs.

Having the diff hanging down on a hoist does not show full suspension travel, probably only 2/3rds in fact, you need to have the car flat on the ground, then jack up one wheel only to fully twist the diff housing.(pushing one wheel up forces the other further down) Once you've done that you'll see just how much your brake lines are getting stretched!

Having the diff hanging down on a hoist does not show full suspension travel, probably only 2/3rds in fact, you need to have the car flat on the ground, then jack up one wheel only to fully twist the diff housing.(pushing one wheel up forces the other further down) Once you've done that you'll see just how much your brake lines are getting stretched!

Thanks for clearing that up mate. This is just what I was told from the guys that put the suspension in for me. I was none the wiser about any of this so I just took his word. Will look into if i need to extend lines.

you need to have the car flat on the ground, then jack up one wheel only to fully twist the diff housing.(pushing one wheel up forces the other further down) Once you've done that you'll see just how much your brake lines are getting stretched!

Just want to reinforce Kingcab's word of caution. I have a 50mm lift and was told extended rear brakes were not needed. It was until I I jacked up one side to work on my rear bash plate I saw the problem; the rear brake lines were limiting the suspension travel!

ok well i took my car back and all is fine, the front has dropped and is now around the 70mm mark but the back is still 100mm.. they guys triple checked it and there are no probs.. so relief there. they have told me bring it back for a couple more check ups so every 500kms they will be looking at it..its slowly dropping.

will be posting a pic soon just been a lil slack.

thanks Matt76 for your help also

Tough dog 2" lift = 35mm F, 65mm R

I put Tough Dog in my D40 front and rear and got 30mm lift to front and 65mm to rear. No extensions to brake lines etc just bent the brackets so when the car is on a hoist and the wheels drop to there fullest there is no problem. This was with a alloy tray and 450kg OME leaf springs.

I also have just put in a Tough Dog 2" Lift and only got 35mm lift in the front with a Factory steel bar and 65mm in the back. What have people down to level this out?

Spacers. Small ones (15mm is good) will level it out. Wouldn't go much bigger than 15mm though, or when you put a load in the tray, the nose will sit higher than the rear.

sorry to hijack but has any1 fitted spacers to the toughdogs front coils? I got the HD coils as i have steel bar and when the full TD kit got installed front only raised by 35mm and has sagged back down since adding the winch so wanting to install spacers...any1 done this to toughdog front struts? I called toughdog and they couldnt help/supply anything. might email Zordo aswell

Latest posts

Back