32" Tyre's illegal under a Nav?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
hey guys, what's the legallality of putting 265/75/r16's on a nav?
the tyre placard in the glove box says 265/70/r16, and the only bit of online information i could find was a document from TOYO that ran through all the allowable variance's from the tyre placard wheel size...and it seems as though 265/75/r16's are, infact, ILLEGAL on a navara.

This has been brought to my attention by the good people down at a local tyre place, when i was inquiring about some prices for new boots.

can someone point me to the answer? (a legal answer, something i can print and put in the glove-box should some cop ask...)

that's what i thought, my understanding is that so long as the tyre don't sit outside your mudguards, and they're with in a tyre size of OEM, you're right, with 265/75/r16's would be...however, the blokes down at the tyre place, basically outright told me that it's illegal to put that size under the Nav and that there'd be issues with getting them to fit it.

so...what are the regulations on running oversized tyres?

Man, I've been talking to heaps of tyre places the last couple of days and not many of them like putting the 32's on the nav but they don't give much reason
other than, it's not really worth it or they wont fit... Well ok... but everyone with 32's on a navara says it's definitely worth it and they do fit. Weird. Should have mine on next week!

I got them because that was the only size available in that make of tyre.
No difference at all in terms of height or contact with the body / guard.

ok, i've just heard it from the Queensland Department of transport Vehicle standards place myself, (and his information comes out of the Tyre and Rims Association of Australia Specification)

32" tyres are ILLEGAL under a Nav. the rule is that the rolling diameter is not allowed to be more than 15mm over all greater than the tyre placard size.

and moving from a 265/70/r16 (OEM) to a 265/75/r16 is an increase of 30mm, therefore, illegal.

damn.

I've read this somewhere before, maybe on here, I think that might be a Queensland thing... which is obviously a problem for you!

yeah, thats what i'm thinking the only problem is going to come in the event of an accident (voiding your policy). or if you ever get pulled in for an inspection.

the document i found online specified that the 15mm variance in rolling diameter was a country wide thing, so it might pay to double check in your state.

oh she's already wearing 265/75/r16 bighorns.

just when i go to get me some new rubber for the cross country trip i was looking at what i'm likely to pay to get a full new set on some steel rims.

might be worth selling off the bighorns, to make some monies for the purchase. they're in good nick, stacks of tread left on them too!

Just doin some research now, there's a thread on here called "vehicle regulations" it says it's 15mm for normal cars but up to 50mm for off road vehicles. I'll keep looking...

i just realised that i might be able to get a new set of tires out of the place that sold me the car., i got them to write into the contract verifying that the tyres are road legal, now having found out that they aren't...

hehehe *insert scheme*

i'll make another call to the department of transport on monday to see if there's an exception to this rule for 4wd off-road passenger vehicles, or 4wd offroad utilities even... and everything i've found says this rule is country-wide...which means the bighorns are (legally) useless to you.

Latest posts

Back