Replacing shackles - DIY advice please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgie

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Got some new greaseable shackles (not extended) and I am seeking advice and any tips, things to be careful of - actually any info at all - so I can do this myself.

I ain't the smartest tool in the shed when it comes to this stuff - can handle some basics - so please be kind!

:hmmmm:

hey ridgie,
mate i am a chippy by trade and in the same boat, just fitted greasable shackles the othe day wat i did was jack up the chasis rail till it started to take the weight off the leaf springs and undid the nuts took off the plate on the side and tapped the other side out gently with a hammer. i think it would be best to just try one side at a time.
Hope this helps
Luke

Last edited:
Thanks Luke. Helpful and makes sense.

So I gather don't lift the wheel off the ground - just take up the weight with the jack?

Grease pins on the insdie or outside?

take the weight of the car on jack stands then put floor jack under diff to tak the weight of th diff drop the 4 17 mm nuts off the rear shackle take the plate off then you should beable to take the shackle of by hand with out a hammer if there is enuff weight on the jack and not on the shackle then just put the new ones on and done

grab your can of your fav brew and stand back and admire your work

and dont forgt to put grease in them and new front and rear shackl bushes

Raises (pardon the pun) the question of suitable grease.
What is used? GP high pressure grease? Or is there specific grease that suits the bushes and available in cartridge form?

take the weight of the car on jack stands then put floor jack under diff to tak the weight of th diff drop the 4 17 mm nuts off the rear shackle take the plate off then you should beable to take the shackle of by hand with out a hammer if there is enuff weight on the jack and not on the shackle then just put the new ones on and done

grab your can of your fav brew and stand back and admire your work

and dont forgt to put grease in them and new front and rear shackl bushes

Cheers bloodviper.

Had new bushes recently so I don't think I need to change them.

I've got stands so I will be able to follow your advice.

Appreciate the brew tip..............I would never have thought of that! :cheers!:

Aido - good point! I'll await an answer before I fill'em full of grease.

No dramas doing these at all.

Once the correct amount of weight taken off the diff as bloodviper suggested the old ones slid out.

I dropped the spare wheel so I could get easier access to loosen the 3" exhaust so I could get that shackle out.

Apart from some issues with the grease gun (which I will sort tomorrow) everything was peachey. I did manage to get grease into them.

Been for a drive and all seems good.

Now for that beer to make the job complete........

Attachments

• DSCF7623.jpg
    DSCF7623.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF7630.jpg
    DSCF7630.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF7626.jpg
    DSCF7626.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF7624.jpg
    DSCF7624.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
looks good yeah mate i have removed every navaras leaf springs i have owned to repack them so i can get the nav sitting as low as possible i might get sum of these shackels for the new one looks like i might have found the new body shell i wanted i really wanted a d22 duel cab shell but cant find one cheap

Latest posts

Back