Adelaide to Melbourne via the Mount

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titanium man

Reaction score
Hi All,
We (Wife, three kids, Navara and the Jayco off road Expanda) are heading over to Adelaide for a family do two weeks before Easter (4 days in Adelaide). On the way back we have planned to stay in the Coorong on the first night, Naracoorte the second Mount Gambier the third and fourth and then 4 nights in the Grampians.

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share or suggestions on places to visit, Sights to see or Tracks to follow?

Your comments would be appreciated

The fish and chip shop in Kingston does a good feed, About 20 km before Kingston is the granites its just a couple of rocks on the beach but it only 1 or 2 km off the highway and very easy access to the beach, And a big carpark area there where people camped there the day i went there dont know if thats legal. There is other access to the coorong further back to Adelaide, Not that difficult but no room to turn around with a trailer, Unless you drive onto the beach and turn around "but" the places i have been to have a lot of soft sand at the entry/ exit points. With a bit of right foot you get up but the trailer could be different issue enjoy your trip and if driving at night along the coorong on the highway watch out for wombats, roos and bambi

Did this as a part of my return from Perth in 05, had a ball in Robe driving on the beaches (in a Forrestor), fished at Robe as well and caught some decent fish, got some local Storm Boy history around the Coorong, saw the blue lake in Mt Gambier (I think). Stayed at Portland and did some fishing while the women did the "touristy" things like the train, then stayed with family in Warnambool and ran into a few business associates. It's not a bad run, we didn't do the Great Ocean Road but there is plenty to see even without that.

The Coorong is fantastic - and as a bonus the Nth Lagoon is getting fill from the floods up-river. I grew up in Mt Gambier, so I'd say give it a wide bearth - but I may still be traumatized (still, after 20y), some folks say its pretty, but meh!

The Coorong is fantastic - and as a bonus the Nth Lagoon is getting fill from the floods up-river. I grew up in Mt Gambier, so I'd say give it a wide bearth - but I may still be traumatized (still, after 20y), some folks say its pretty, but meh!

Yer, the Lake at Mt Gambier is one of those things to see, but other than a quick visit to the YMCA, we just kept on driving.

A few years since we've been to the Coorong. Lovely place. Would be nice to get back.

Latest posts

Back