7/8 day trip newcastle to broken hill - ideas/suggestions please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
I am going to be changing jobs next month and have ten days off between so the wife and I (plus two kids and a dog) are planning to drive out to Broken Hill from Newcastle to have a look and see what's out there (we are pomes looking to see a bit more of this great land)

We want the trip to last 7 or 8 days (leaving time when we get back to clean up etc) and were after some advice on routes and things to see etc. We will be travelling solo so don't want anything too extreme but at the same time would rather something a little more interesting than just sitting on the Barrier Highway for two days each way. So far I am thinking:

Day 1: newcastle to Narramine and camp over night
Day 2: Narramine to bourke and then out along the Darling River track and camp somewhere along the river
Day 3: darling river down to Wilcannia and on to White cliff. Overnight in White cliff
Day 4: look around White cliff and on to Broken hill over night in BH
Day 5: look around BH over night in BH
DAY 6: Silverton and then back to BH and on to Lake menindee camp somewhere there
Day 7/8: home via Ivanhoe and cobra followed by Barrier Highway home

What would people think to this? Doable? Trying to do too much?

Are there any places to avoid or places worth visiting instead of those listed? Is the Darling River track worth the detour up to Bourke or should we just take the highway through to Wilcannia and up to White Cliff on Day 2 to make more time later?

Also we will be travelling with the dog so any recommendations of places to camp/stay were we can have the dog with us and ideally a camp fire very much appreciated.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated

Cheers

Steven

Newcastle to Narromine is a decent drive but easily achievable. There's a caravan next to the airfield and there's a museum there too, not sure there's a lot that's worth to see inside it.

Dubbo's a different story (about 40km before Narromine). The Western Plains Zoo is a little expensive but well worth the visit. Self-drive around it. Food in the cafeteria is just reasonable. It's shame you don't have a little more time - going north from Dubbo you can pass through Coonabarabran and visit Siding Springs Observatory (if that's your thing). The planetarium is interesting (again, horses for courses) and relatively inexpensive. Souvenir shirts are fairly good quality. From there you could head west to Coonamble, then up to Walgett, through Brewarrina and on to Bourke.

From Bourke you could head along the Bourke-Hawkers road and get to White Cliffs but I'd probably take a couple of jerry cans of fuel.

If you head in to Wilcannia, the Shell on the main highway has been sold and is now Liberty or Metro or something like that. The BP is still there down a side street, and if I had to buy fuel in Wilcannia that's where I'd get it. Word on the vine is that Wilcannia is best NOT stayed in overnight.

On your way to Silverton you may pass Eldee Station - it's a little pricey for a stay but it's supposed to have some awesome 4WD tracks and scenery - unfortunately NO dogs. Don't bother with the Daydream Mine, they'll take a LOT of money off you for a very short walk to look at some rocks. We weren't impressed at all. When you get to Silverton, say hello to the local donkey and look out for the camel farm on the south side of town.

Broken Hill is special. There's the railway/nursing/migrant museum in the middle of town with some spectacular old steam locos in there and they don't charge much at all. There are 3 caravan parks, we thought Lakeview was the best (pet friendly). North of the town you'll find the Living Sculptures - nice view of BH about 12km away from the summit. It's an easy walk around. There's a fee to visit, but when we were there it was an honour system.

You might try visiting Jack Absolom too, his house is on the eastern side of BH but he's not always there. He has a gallery (presumably of his own works). There's also an abundance of silver/jewelery stores/museums around the town and the pub that featured in Priscilla Queen Of The Desert is there in case you need to get your frock on.

You could also head out to Menindee (110km southwest from BH). It's actually a bit boring, the grape vines were dormant when we went past and some asshole had drained the lakes!

You could also head home via Parkes (radio telescope), Wellington (fantastic caves) and Mudgee (great wines, particularly Pieter van Gent on the north east side).

Tony, cheers for the advice, I had heard the same about Wincannia but didn't like to ask too directly. Plan is certainly to avoid it other than for fuel.

We are purposely avoiding Warrenbungles and siding springs because we have friends with a farm out that way and will be visiting there later in the year as a separate trip.

Parkes will get a visit depending on time coming home but again Mudgee is being avoided as we are intending to make a trip there for the country show the year.

Cheers again

Priscilla pub burnt down years ago didn't it?
Ride a camel out at Silverton. A pommy set up a mad max museum out there too, and he has the interceptor they took to England to promote the film, plus a couple of others.
No dogs in the National Park at Menindee but there are plenty of free camp spots outside the park. There's a camel or two kicking around down there too.
Menindee to Ivanhoe is a good drive in the dry, a bitch in the wet.

Latest posts

Back