D40 oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonD40

Reaction score
HI,

I own a 09 D40 auto th book said to use 5W-30, BUT, can i run 15W-40 low ash oil??

Also is anyone running a Chipit DPF delete pipe on a standard D40 with no chip, if so any issues ishould know about before i get one?

Regards Simon

Go for it.

15W40 is acceptable for diesel engines from about -15C upwards. 10W40 is suitable for use in -20C and upwards, 5W30 is used for more than 30 degrees C below freezing.

In Australia, you just aren't going to find a place that cold unless you work really, really hard at it.

If your not worried about warranty and or DPF you can use any oil you like...

As far as I'm aware (according to the Nissan User Manual) you can ONLY use a 5w-30 oil if your vehicle is fitted with a DPF. The use of other grades of oil based on ambient temp is only for the manual trans vehicles.

In saying that, Nissan recently issued advice from their engineers that the use of 15w-40 was no longer allowed in these turbo diesel motors as they believe it is causing adverse wear on timming chain and their tensioners as well as excessive wear on the top end components. Whether they are right, or whether you agree with them, if you care about your warranty I'd be sticking with the recommended 10w-40 grade as a maximum for the manual trans vehicles and the full synthetic 5w-30 for vehicles fitted with a DPF.

As far as I'm aware (according to the Nissan User Manual) you can ONLY use a 5w-30 oil if your vehicle is fitted with a DPF. The use of other grades of oil based on ambient temp is only for the manual trans vehicles.

In saying that, Nissan recently issued advice from their engineers that the use of 15w-40 was no longer allowed in these turbo diesel motors as they believe it is causing adverse wear on timming chain and their tensioners as well as excessive wear on the top end components. Whether they are right, or whether you agree with them, if you care about your warranty I'd be sticking with the recommended 10w-40 grade as a maximum for the manual trans vehicles and the full synthetic 5w-30 for vehicles fitted with a DPF.

Agreed.....

Nissan recently issued advice from their engineers that the use of 15w-40 was no longer allowed in these turbo diesel motors as they believe it is causing adverse wear on timming chain and their tensioners as well as excessive wear on the top end components.

Where was this advice issued, I wouldn't mind reading it for myself.

Howdy, I was told by the Motors service people here that you must use a fully synthetic oil with 5w-30w specs as any other oil tends to block up the DPF filter. As i used to use plain diesel oil and when i started with the synthetic i did notice better fuel figures.

cheers
Worm.

The advice was given to me by the Customer Service people. I spoke with a couple of guys there and both had the info in front of them however I never asked them to forward it to me in an email. They were very stern with the warning and kept saying to me that it was only just released.

I just realised it doesn't effect me because I don't use that stuff anyway so they can give out all the warnings they like.

Yeah i did give the penrite a go but then changed the the 15-50. My mileage has gone down the gurgler and i wondered if the oil had caused it. Like 14l/100kms around town but thats for another thread.

Yeah i did give the penrite a go but then changed the the 15-50. My mileage has gone down the gurgler and i wondered if the oil had caused it. Like 14l/100kms around town but thats for another thread.

probably.......

15W-50 is heavy....what engine have you and mileage?

So what is the STD engine oil used in a 2010 d40 auto STX....I'd like to carry some spare with me. Just need to know what to buy.
Cheers

Back