2012 spanish oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norton79

Reaction score
Hi all. Love the forum. I haven't posted for a while but thought I'd ask a oil question. I've got a 2012 d40 spanish build with around 220,000km. I've been offered some oil from a mate he gets from work. It's Fuchs 15w-40 titan truck plus. Doesn't say anything about mineral or synthetic. Would you use this in your rig? I know it's heavier than the recommended oil I'm running at the moment.
Thanks for your replies

Hi all. Love the forum. I haven't posted for a while but thought I'd ask a oil question. I've got a 2012 d40 spanish build with around 220,000km. I've been offered some oil from a mate he gets from work. It's Fuchs 15w-40 titan truck plus. Doesn't say anything about mineral or synthetic. Would you use this in your rig? I know it's heavier than the recommended oil I'm running at the moment.
Thanks for your replies
the 15 seems a bit too high in all honesty.

Yes it's an older engine with more K's but remember all the galleries and ports were engineered for 5 rating.

I have 260k on mine and still use 5-30 religiously at 10k intervals.

Fuchs is a good oil, the Titan range is more for commercial use like Trucks.

the oil itself is great. i much prefer truck oils, they always run better.
however viscosity is a bit thick, but thats really only a major issue in winter. if you do a lot of hot driving, ie open road then its going to be great over summer.
however frosty winter days not so much, you would have to let it warm up a bit to get oil flowing.
the book does say you can use it, in a certain temp range.

keep in mind the 5w or 15w is the winter rating (hence the w), the 40 is the summer rating.

the oil itself is great. i much prefer truck oils, they always run better.
however viscosity is a bit thick, but thats really only a major issue in winter. if you do a lot of hot driving, ie open road then its going to be great over summer.
however frosty winter days not so much, you would have to let it warm up a bit to get oil flowing.
the book does say you can use it, in a certain temp range.

keep in mind the 5w or 15w is the winter rating (hence the w), the 40 is the summer rating.

I remember reading a handful of articles and one was from an engineer I think from Toyota? (could have just been a Toyota tech) - it was along the lines of de-bunking the whole "old engines need thicker oils".. it made sense when he called out that the engine was engineered to run that specific viscosity oil and varying it by too much could have other issues introduced.

Didn't really talk about what level of variance, but it made sense to me and I've stuck by it.

In saying that, if I was burning oil from an old tired engine, you betchya it'll get 20-50 in there.

I remember reading a handful of articles and one was from an engineer I think from Toyota? (could have just been a Toyota tech) - it was along the lines of de-bunking the whole "old engines need thicker oils".. it made sense when he called out that the engine was engineered to run that specific viscosity oil and varying it by too much could have other issues introduced.

Didn't really talk about what level of variance, but it made sense to me and I've stuck by it.

In saying that, if I was burning oil from an old tired engine, you betchya it'll get 20-50 in there.
in this case the only variance is in cold conditions. if you don't have cold conditions then its not much of a problem.
but keep in mind the viscosity curve, a 15w40 is still going to be a tad thicker than 0w-40 at operating temps.

I decided to use a 10W40 Motul in mine. I've had a very good experience with Motul and got to be my favourite brand. The reason was to have a bit more protection with low revs, when you have lots of pressure over surfaces with not that much of an oil pressure and slow movements with higher force grinds more the surface. Is just a bit more thicker but also you have close to the longest range of temperatures of protection.

Please, if someone disagree with these ideas I'll be glad to read other's opinions, as I have not close people to talk about these things who knows for real what the heck they're talking about.

Thanks for your replies
That viscosity is fine if you are in very very hot dry environments but not recommended if your engine is still tite and not using oil.
Best oil is Amsoil Signature series diesel oil which is the first and only 100 true synthetic. The wear package is the absolute best in the industry.
These engines are very near old technology with very high metal to metal wear ratio parts which a ultra
quality anti wear package oil is advantageous. Amsoil will outperform all others by literally miles and 25.000 mile oil changes intervals. In the non roller cam shafts the Nissan runs you really need this oil no matter what others say.

That viscosity is fine if you are in very very hot dry environments but not recommended if your engine is still tite and not using oil.
Best oil is Amsoil Signature series diesel oil which is the first and only 100 true synthetic. The wear package is the absolute best in the industry.
These engines are very near old technology with very high metal to metal wear ratio parts which a ultra
quality anti wear package oil is advantageous. Amsoil will outperform all others by literally miles and 25.000 mile oil changes intervals. In the non roller cam shafts the Nissan runs you really need this oil no matter what others say.
we see and hear a lot about Amsoil here in Aus via US youtube channels.. Amsoil doesn't exist here.

In saying that, oils like Nulon here in Aus are great. I've even been using Gulf Western oil and it's been great. Sick of paying for Castrol brand markup

we see and hear a lot about Amsoil here in Aus via US youtube channels.. Amsoil doesn't exist here.

In saying that, oils like Nulon here in Aus are great. I've even been using Gulf Western oil and it's been great. Sick of paying for Castrol brand markup

Hi.
Amsoil Signature series diesel engine oil will literally out perform all those brands and others you mentioned.

If u want you can ask Amsoil to help U set up in Australia.

Ask Wayne Hill here at Synthetic oil New Zealand too.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:AP:b9a2e543-0720-4491-acbf-bfa39002f131

Hi.
Amsoil Signature series diesel engine oil will literally out perform all those brands and others you mentioned.

If u want you can ask Amsoil to help U set up in Australia.

Ask Wayne Hill here at Synthetic oil New Zealand too.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:AP:b9a2e543-0720-4491-acbf-bfa39002f131
thanks mate, in all honesty - I never run oil longer than 8000k's in my cars, always change oil filter and do fuel filters at 20k.

Out of Penrite / Valvoline / Mobil and even Castrol, when they've got my oil at 50% off for a sale I usually load up. They've all be decent for how I use the cars

thanks mate, in all honesty - I never run oil longer than 8000k's in my cars, always change oil filter and do fuel filters at 20k.

Out of Penrite / Valvoline / Mobil and even Castrol, when they've got my oil at 50% off for a sale I usually load up. They've all be decent for how I use the cars
Amsoil is a totally different makeup which also has a large additive package which it's around 6 times more protection than other brands.
Its the first ever synthetic hydrocarbon ever developed based on synthetic jet turbine oil used in 1960's North America. The founder of Amsoil took that then worked very hard to introduce the grade for road going vehicles. Their P.A.O structure is used which most makes claim they have but still not 100%. Penrite ain't bad and close to Amsoil (I love them same as Amsoil as being family run companies) but still a wee way to go
Amsoil after my 40 years of use it's still ahead of others, they always kept ahead of technology.

On the 25.000 miles Amsoil no other filter manufacturers has a filter to cover that but Amsoil EA filters cover that which Ryco tried to copy but can't make it yet.

Amsoil is a totally different makeup which also has a large additive package which it's around 6 times more protection than other brands.
Its the first ever synthetic hydrocarbon ever developed based on synthetic jet turbine oil used in 1960's North America. The founder of Amsoil took that then worked very hard to introduce the grade for road going vehicles. Their P.A.O structure is used which most makes claim they have but still not 100%. Penrite ain't bad and close to Amsoil (I love them same as Amsoil as being family run companies) but still a wee way to go
Amsoil after my 40 years of use it's still ahead of others, they always kept ahead of technology.

On the 25.000 miles Amsoil no other filter manufacturers has a filter to cover that but Amsoil EA filters cover that which Ryco tried to copy but can't make it yet.
@hotshot 5691 - you sure you're not a covert Amsoil rep hiding in the Navara forums? hehe :)

No, I'm only a user. I do use
@hotshot 5691 - you sure you're not a covert Amsoil rep hiding in the Navara forums? hehe :)
Penrite when I'm really desperate.
I started using Amsoil in very early 1980's after being using it for a while then became one of the first to use Mobil 1 then later Delvac 1. This was Mobils attempt to take on Amsoil which they then claim it's guaranteed to be used up to 100.000 k.m. After a year or so Mobil then state no can do and advise to change at engine makers recommended intervals only which remains to this day so I just went back to Amsoil. The biggest reason is frequent changes in tractors, small engines which leads to waste oils lying everywhere so I prefer the long drain cycles which eliminates this problem.

Also it can handle heat, cold extremes way better than others.

Latest posts

Back