tyre help newbie

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarryd

Reaction score
hey guys , so i have had my 2010 d40 st navara for a few months and have just started to throw some stuff on it , i was looking forward to new rims and tyres ive been around to a few places and people just laugh at me take my details and never get back to me....

so i have started doing some research and investigating myself , basically all i want is a blacked out steel / alloy rim 17inch with an aggressive AT rim like the BFgoodridge ones

all im asking is if you guys could give me some leads or tips as to find some or someone that wont laugh at me ...

btw im in the brisbane

thanks jarryd.

Welcome to the Forum
you can get the stock steelies and paint them and go a 265/75/R16 or even after market 16" steelies.
Wheels for the D40/R51 are scarce as far as different options.Our stud pattern is somewhat unique in Aus with only one model of the Dodge Durango in the US with the same stud pattern.
If you have a look on US web sites they have options for D40 Frontiers which is essentially the same truck as our D40

you wont find 17" steel rims not for the D40
there pricks to find wheels for.
theres a set of 5 black sunraysias on ebay at the moment 16x7s
you can get dynamic wheels 16x8s bout $120ish a piece.
just look for 6114.3mm on the wheel sizing 6 stands for how many stud holes and the 114.3 is the spacing between each hole.

I run 16x7 black sunraysias with 265/75r16 mudd tyres. so its not laughable actually its the opposite hurts a lot of peoples necks when i drive past!!

you can get 265/75r16 tyres on no problems 32" in old skool sizes
if you keep stock wheels you can squeese 287/75r6 33" in old skool on without modifying the inner guards. And without a lift personally id lift it first. the offset on the sunraysias pushes the tyre out slightly and requires minor innerguard mod. (heat gun and massage the plastic back a bit.)
Oh and welcome to the site remember no stupid questions just stoopid people.

thanks alot guys , to mad d40 i love you setup thats exactly what i want , my question is how do those mud tyres go on the road ? and also where did u source your wheels from ? and would that setup you have now fit on a stock st navara with no lift ?

i am abit worried about the lift for a few reasons warranty and also parking haha

thanks jarryd

the springs would have no hope in hell coping with all my bolted on gear it weighs someting like 2.5 tonne tare weight.
but I got my wheels on ebay just right timing and I run bighorns there great on the road just keep them at about 38-40 psi and rotate them as when you lift a navara the camber goes somewhere and cant be found again. there a little loud but Im not one to give a shit about that I just crank the tunes up!!

im looking at selling my wheels and tyres tho in the near future. I want the 16x8s and 285/75s need some clearance.
My oldies live in Brissy so I make random trips up there sometimes if you wernt in a hurry to get them.....

oh forgot to mention if you install a lift it does not affect warranty on the car just if your suspension shits itself Nissan will not fix it but manufacture warranty of who evers suspension may cover it. chances of that are next to none.
and as for parking lifting wont change the turning circle of the truck. Extending the chassis will tho.

265's no lift no worries. I been running them for years and no issues

Correct me if Im wrong but an ST is a Thai build so good chance he has camber adjustment

Just curious why you would think lifting your truck would impact parking ability?
I noticed zero difference as far as parking goes after I added 50mm of lift all round

Hi Jarryd
I also have a ST - I asked my local nissan dealer about warranty after a lift. There response was no problem because there is no nissan suspension left - so there is nothing for them to cover. The warranty is taken over for the suspension by the new gear.

As for height - it did go up along way - 110mm rear 80mm front. I have not hit anything yet - and i do not to expect to.

Brett

265's no lift no worries. I been running them for years and no issues

Correct me if Im wrong but an ST is a Thai build so good chance he has camber adjustment

Just curious why you would think lifting your truck would impact parking ability?
I noticed zero difference as far as parking goes after I added 50mm of lift all round

I assumed he was referring to the setup as in barwork winch and all that not just the tyres :big_smile:

And unless the suspension has changed since mine was built. The origional suspension on mine was sagged at the front and the rear leaves inverted from new. how that setup will tow 3 tonnes is beyond me.
A 50mm lift actually lifted my truck 100mm and I no longer ride on the bumpstops best mod I have done yet even tho I think my commodore has more ground clearance sometimes.:devil:

yeah im more worried about the height in car parks and garage , maybe a 2inch lift would be okay ? im not to sure .... maybe i might just paint the stock rims black and go with some aggressive tyres ? any suggestions

oh height clearance :sarcastic:
we all thought you were talking about turning in the park.
Its like driving the titanic when ya in Kmart :cheers!::cheers!:
yeah I have 2 inch lift and 32s and my rollbar is above the roof a couple inches and I can fit in 1.9 mt clearance no worries.

I use my radio aerial for a guide if it clips im fine if it hits I hit reverse.

And just another point, the ST D40 has differant offset to the Spanish built ST/X D40, so the rims will stick out further, so that leaves our rim choice even more limited than our ST/X brothers

is it thai or spain build that has the narrow track width??
I have a Thai does that mean if i put spain wheels on ill get wider track width???

Yep if you put the ST/X rims on they,ll be level with the outer guard,, for memory our ST rims are +45 offset and the ST/X are +25

mine is a thai

Its like driving the titanic when ya in Kmart -- hahahah i know

so how much would i be looking at for a 2inch lift ?

whats the best way should i paint these rims or get them powder coated....

well if you paint then get them done in 2pac do you have alloys or steelys?
in saying that it will cost bout 60 bucks a corner to pain may as well buy black sunraysias for an extra 40 bucks they come black put whatever tyres you want and if you need you can go back to your stockies.

as for 2 inch lift theses many many options I have a dobinsons kit I find the ride really good.
Bit rough in the rear but but there constand load springs but still nice to go on long drives.
Mine set me back about $1200 from memory and I fitted it myself in a day.
But Im thinking of going some air canister shocks or failing that Radflo coilover setup. but there $$$BIG$$$

Standard lift kit is fine in most situations just tell the supplier what you intend on putting on the truck so they can get the right spring rate to suit your rig. so it wont sag or be too stiff.

another thing I have been told is big bore shocks are good for corrigated roads but are really stiff for everyday driving so theres another consideration to take on.

hmm yeah i really dont want to paint the stockies , thats not a bad price ill see whats around in brisbane and go from there , thanks so much for all this information i really appreciate it all

Powder Coat is meant to be a tougher finish

Lift can start with ebay special lift spacers and blocks
I went with Radflo's and PRG UCA
Some may say its way over the top
HOWEVER
I now have fully rebuildable and adjustable arms and shocks .Cost wise when I bought mine is was $600 for shocks and springs here from the likes of OME etc or $690 for Radflos.
I plan ok keeping the truck for a while so I went with the rebuildable deal so in the long run I will end up better off.
The new UCA was so I could get camber adjustment.
in the end it all comes down to what you want to do with the truck and how long you want to keep it.
Stock rear springs are crap and there are heaps of options there starting round the $500 mark.
Lift blocks will work short term but your going to eventually want real springs in rear.

hey guys so this arvo on the way home from work i stopped in at a bob jane store and finally i found some helpful people who didnt laugh in my face , and i walked out with some new rim and rubber ! hooray!

jarrydandclaire002.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back