VNOG Otway day trip, Sat 9th April

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Anyone keen to hit the Otways on the 9/4? I've driven a few of the tracks down there now, so am starting to get a feel for what's good and what's not. Also, I still haven't managed to get through Kennett-Wye Jeep Track yet, checked out the first section of track on Sunday last week and there's a long boggy section with very soft mud near the start of the track. I didn't attempt it, as I had a mate with a stock pathfinder following me. Am really keen to try and get through this track though, it's got one of the harder reputations in the Otways!

Mate I would jump at it but I've got the father-in-laws 80th that arvo and I am 'expected' to be there.

I would love to hit up some tracks in the Otways, but I am not sure a Navara is the best vehicle for the job. I am sure there are some easier tracks but the ones that I have seen look sik as hell but not Navara friendly. Plus unfortunately I will be working that weekend. You may run into some mates from the MudRhino forum, they are planning a trip down there that weekend with min 35"s and a high mount winch. I think most trucks will be twin locked GQ's and Cruisers.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9pHdj7OAck[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiotdzYnH2s[/YT]

I would love to hit up some tracks in the Otways, but I am not sure a Navara is the best vehicle for the job. I am sure there are some easier tracks but the ones that I have seen look sik as hell but not Navara friendly. Plus unfortunately I will be working that weekend. You may run into some mates from the MudRhino forum, they are planning a trip down there that weekend with min 35"s and a high mount winch. I think most trucks will be twin locked GQ's and Cruisers.

Yeah mate they would probably be heading to the tracks more towards Beech Forrest, like Oregon Track..... The ones around Kennett and Wye River are still challenging, but with muddies you won't have a problem in a Nav in most places...

Ill be keen to come with ya matty, not too far for me just have to make sure my locker is working properly. Been wanting to get out there for a while

Lookin forward to comin out for a play with u one day docp but sounds like this might be a bit over my head!
Anyway, planning a karaoke party that night for my birthday can't miss that!!
Cheers, Marcus

Just realised this is the same date as the gold finding trip jase has organised. Any chance of making it the weekend after or even do this trip then head out to camp with others at marysville for the sat night

Just realised this is the same date as the gold finding trip jase has organised. Any chance of making it the weekend after or even do this trip then head out to camp with others at marysville for the sat night

Ah damn didn't realize that trip was the same weekend, thought it was last weekend for some reason... I can't camp that weekend as I fly out to Hobart for a conference the next day. Weekend of 16/17 is free at the moment but was thinking about heading up to do Blue Rag Range Track that weekend if the weather is good. Leave Fri arvo, camp near Bright Fri night, camp at the bottom of Blue Rag on Sat might n head home on Sun. You interested in that? If the weather is shithouse we can do the Otways instead.... I'll throw it up as a VNOG event to see if there are any other takers....

yea sounds good to me, either way im happy to go otways on the 9th still and head over to maryborough afterwards to camp and a few drinks

yea sounds good to me, either way im happy to go otways on the 9th still and head over to maryborough afterwards to camp and a few drinks

Sweet as. Let's lock in the Otways on the 9th then. We can discuss Blue Rag then. Keen to see what else is on that Kennett-Wye Jeep Track!

yea sounds interesting. definatly looking forward to it now. see if anyone else wants to come along aswell. just a note that its probly a better idea that anyone that comes on this trip has some better tyres than standard and possibly a lift aswell but remember that we wont be leaving anyone behind and if we have to we can snatch or winch if needed

Awesome trip today down in the Otways, cheers to Kyle, Rik and co for making it down. Here's a couple of pics:

DSCF3647.jpg

Rik deciding he'd try and get through a bog in 2wd

DSCF3649.jpg

The bloody slippery descent at the end of Godfrey Track that Kyle and I made it down at the end of the day (pic doesn't do it justice!).

definatly was wet and slippery towards the end. great day out. some really good tracks out there and im sure theres heaps more out there to play on. that second pic definatly doesnt do that justice. we couldnt even walk on that it was that steep and slippery. thanks again matty.

Yeah cheers guys was a good day if that rain had hit earlier would have made those first couple tracks intreresting for sure.
I desperately need a rear locker tho.
Be good to get out again and with winter on the way plenty of rain will slop up the tracks.

Sounds like a great day lads.

Look forward to when the next one is lads..........really want to have a look down that way.

Definatly great country out there. Let us know when you wanna go out there again rick. Ill pm you my number. Rwd challenges are soo much more fun in the wet ey

Thats it mate love 2wding so much more fun, 4wd is for when your stuck from trying it in 2wd first as photo above shows lol.... just need a locker so I can get it really sydwys.
That hill with the hole in it half way up was nuts getting up there, and down was a different story especially backwards

Just reading this post a year on.....some local boys took us out to test the mods on our Nav on Good Friday this year....we ended up on Depperts Track at Beech Forest, bloody mean, the bogs were untenable without a winch but we all got thru except for the hilux which did a universal & had to be towed some of the way by the patrol....took us about 6hrs to navigate, 3hrs afterwards to clean the car & 2 days to wash the crap out of the winch rope.

Attachments

• 20130329_133004.jpg
    20130329_133004.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20130329_162350.jpg
    20130329_162350.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20130329_135916.jpg
    20130329_135916.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back