Carpenters rocks to Robe

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieD22

Reaction score
Carpenters rocks to Robe
8th- 11th march

The Melbourne crew came to my house on the Thursday night, They arrived at roughly 9pm. Chicken was already pissed. After they set up and we had few beers we hit the sack ready for a 7.30 start. About 1.30am my wife wakes me saying that there was a loud thud on the side of the house, So I got up slowly to have a look and she was already looking out the window. She saw Chicken doing his best impression of a turtle in the kids sand pit NAKED. She is still not over it.
7.30 came around pretty quick so maccas it was then hit the road to carpenters rocks.
It was an uneventful 4hr drive, With a couple of stops for supplies fuel ect.

We drove onto the beach at carpenters rocks and had some lunch.
We aired down then headed to the light house where the trip really begun.
image.jpg

We took some shots of the 4bies and the light house then headed up the beach to find somewhere to camp the night. We only travelled about 5 mins and 3 cars where stuck, It was very soft so I took the first exit after the call came over the radio. The boys got the shovells out and dig dig dig, Then put some Trax under the wheels and they popped right out. I will be investing in some of these. We decided to stick to the inland track for a while, then found a beach hard enough to drive on and drove till we found a good looking fishing spot. This would end up being our camp for the night.
I set up the rod for my young fella Josh ( who was on his first boys trip ). That lasted about 10 mins then he and the other boys where in for a swim. They had a ball.
image-1.jpg

We backed our cars right up the beach and said she’ll be right and had a few cans for the night Before hitting the swags by 9.30 S.A time.
We woke in the morning too find the tide had touched Bobs front wheels. We had a good laugh and chalked it up to experience. (we had looked at the tide and it was to be at 1am and 1m high and as said she’ll be right).

After some Breaky and the kids swim we headed off again.
We stuck mainly to the inland tracks but dropped onto the beach now and then.
It was easy driving but slow as we werent sure where we where going.
We drove up the dune to have a look over lake Bonnie and the wind farm. It was a good fun morning but again slow.
image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

We then headed off again looking for another place to fish. We followed the track and evetually drove down a sand hill onto the beach with a fantastic gutter for fishing deep, long and not to far out the tide was right so in went the rods.
There was only a couple of small salmon caught.
We had lunch and drove towards Beachport. Again pretty easy driving.
Once out of the canunda n.p we aired up and drove into Beachport missing the southend lake Frome area. We had a late lunch across from the Beachport pier.
We decided to stay in the caravan park for the night and relaxed with a few beers for the rest of the arvo.
That evening we took the kids over to the pier for a fish. Shaun got a slimey mackeral and through it back. His son Conner got a really good hit but when he wound the line in it was VERY obvious that Shauns knot had came undone.
With no luck we headed back to camp and had a few more drinks before heading off to bed. I had to tell Bob very poliltely too SHUT THE F%$*K up at the top of my voice as he was snoring so loud he would of woken the whole park up.
The next part of our journey was to be my favourite

After a feed we headed out to the salmon hole for a look. Boy what a nice beach and piece of water that is. We then headed for the Dunes and drove till we got to some big dunes and decided to have a play. There was a Jeep club in the area and there must have been a couple of hundred Jeeps around.
After a couple of snatchs and driving up a few dunes and droping down a few we headed off again making our way towards Nora creina.
We came to a rather steep dune so up I went no probs. I then watched the next car fail a couple of times. I decided to drive along the top to see where we had to go. I then thought I will just drop over that steep section there next to me so turned away from it to circle back and hit it front on but the harder I tried the deeper I sank myself and ended up on a peculiar angle side on to the dune (still don’t know how I managed it).
Josh then looked at me and said “Can I get out now” Which I replied “very carefully”
Then he was gone like a flash J
Stu was bogged just above me by this time so we hooked his winch to my towbar and took up some slack as Brian directed me forward then back qiut a few times until we could get the front facing straight down the dune. Thanks Guys I appreciate it.
Everybody made it over eventually and down the other side with dropping pressures further and giving it heaps.
There was a couple of really good beach runs after this section as well as some inland tracks.
There was heaps of seaweed on the beach and in the water so we didn’t fish in this area. Once we got to Nora Creina we decided to air up and drive into Robe as it was getting late in the arvo.
We had a couple of beers in the pub and then tried to get into a park but all where full so we drove up long beach for a fish and ended up staying their the night. This time we where well above high tide level. We enjoyed a few more bevridges had heaps of laughs and just enjoyed the area.
The next morning we decided not to drive Robe to Nora Creina as some of the guys had a 6-7 hr drive home. So we said our goodbyes and Bob, Shaun, Pete and myself took the kids to the Robe Marina for a fish but again our luck was out.
We then headed to Mt Gambier for some lunch then headed home.
It was a fantastic weekend with great mates. The Kids enjoyed all of it infact Josh wants too move over their.
I was really impressed with the way my pretty stock navara handled the trip.
All the utes went well and there where no breakages.
Next time we will set up a base camp and go out from there as I wouldn’t bother with the Canunda again as I have done it twice now.(worth the drive if you havent seen it yet as it’s a beautiful area).
Will definitely go back again.

Last edited:
I drove my Forestor on the beaches in Robe, nice place around there, one day I'll get back there.

I did this trip (from Carpenters to Southend) just before xmas last year. I was on my own so stuck to the inland track as I didn't fancy getting stuck alone on the beach.

Met up with someone who was also in a Nav to do the beach section just before Southend. Great drive and some great dunes down that way!

Just noticed my Avatar is taken on the top of that big dune overlooking the lake....

Latest posts

Back