Big Desert

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieD22

Reaction score
Big Desert now with pics

* * * * Big Desert Sept 14-17 *2012
Got to horsham at about 11am fueled up and then had a pot or 2 while I waited for the other guys to show up.
Once they got there we had some lunch did some shopping then headed of to Nhill.
The other guys fueled up. Then we headed into Wyperfeild national park via Netherby as we took a wrong turn but that was fine just an adventure. We then hit Chinaman well track then we headed up Milmed rock track and stopped for the first night at round swamp.
There was some interesting finds along the way, such as bores, windmills, gearboxes ECT.
The tracks where Easley driven in 4H, 2wd would of got us there.
The campground was very good with decent long drops and a small water tank and good fire rings. This was the case at all campgrounds we visited.
We set up had a few beers and that was the end of my first day as I was in bed very early (read drunk and had to go to bed). The next morn we changed our mine on doing the full loop of Milmed rock track so after breaky we headed off back the way we came and made our way to lake albacutya, It was dry of course but one lot had bought some fishing rods so some gentle ribbing took place.
We then made our way around the northern end of the lake and in the process saw heaps of wild life such as roos emus lizards hawks ECT and eventually made our way to Wyperfeild main entrance and into Wonga park for lunch. Very good camp ground with heaps of space to camp (fees apply). After lunch we headed out along the Scenic loop to Duttuck track then north south track along here one car needed snatching up a couple of hills as it had lost its 4wd ealier when heading into wonga. The tracks where easy in 4L. We then ended up on eagle track and made our way to moonah track then onto the nine mile track onto red hill track then up to snowdrift and camped the night there. This took all day but we were not hurrying at all. The sand dune there was very soft and tall (all fenced off). It took quite an effort to climb I was huffing and puffing by the top.
I was in bed early again lol.
The next morn we headed out to underbool to fix the 4wd prob, which ended up being easy. But they pulled the front seat out before they found the easy fix so again some light ribbing. The Internet was came up with the answer in the end after a lot of reading.
From Underbool we headed to pinnaroo as there was no fuel available any where between Ouyen and pinneroo as it was Sunday(I’m not sure whats available on Saturdays). We Fueled up then went east again and headed into the start of the border track. Took some photos ect then we turned left into the big desert and started our way to big dune. Along Firebreak track then through cactus bore along this section (I think) was where we got our first taste of big dunes there was some very good hills to try and took some doing to get up. You can get around them if you like but we opted the harder route. After a play around the area climbing a few dunes ECT. (all current tracks). * We headed east again trying to find big dune along the way we found another dune and spent the rest of the arvo trying to climb it. No one made it but we decided to stay there the night. I managed to stay up later than 8 o’clock and got a cheer for doing so. I think I went to bed around ten and had to listen to their music and drunken banter for a fair while its lucky I am a good sleeper.
In the morn we headed for the border track via the murrayville track then turned left and headed along some gravel roads till we hit the border track. We where glad to see the track but I also new we had a long day a head of us.
Along the first section it was pretty rough I chose L2 to drive in along most as it was rutted or corrugated might be a better word. The track wound its way down along the fence it was tight and hilly not to bad but kept you interested. We stopped at Hensley Trigg lookout, which was good to see how far we had come and how far to go. Then we hit the large Dune area, which was fun and challenging. We had a little play around a couple of spots further on as well.
It then turned into a bit of a boring section after the gate and centre trk.
Eventually we hit the famous bog hole area and had a look at a couple of them.
Serious 4wds only here so we made our way around them (it was my first trip in my D22). The amount of rabbits in here was unbelievable. *We then finished the track aired up and headed home. I got home around 9.30 pm and jumped into my first shower for the weekend. Great weekend with a great bunch of blokes and a great place to have a look at. *My Stock D22 went very well and I am very impressed with it. I got 12.09 ltrs per 100 from it over the whole trip of 1475 kms
Cheers Willie

Last edited:
Some pics of the weekend. Only from my phone.

The rigs
BigDesert025_zps337fb62c.jpg

The camp
BigDesert001_zps4a9e5942.jpg

the Nav
BigDesert007_zps5d95d5fd.jpg

BigDesert006_zps16e9c626.jpg

BigDesert019_zps6fdf1544.jpg

BigDesert017_zps615f12ee.jpg

BigDesert027_zps0865f2ee.jpg

Where we had come from
BigDesert029_zps93d8a453.jpg

Where we had to go was just as far Pic wouldnt load.

Cheers Willie

Last edited:
Thanks mate, heading up there in November

No worries. In the eastern part of the park there is heaps of firewood to collect. We where told we could collect it by parks. In the big desert itself the wood is very small and thin so cut a bit before you get in there.
Here is another pick, This is the south end of the border track.

Ruts_zps67f8cd61.jpg

There are heaps of these type of ruts, This guy is probably 6' 1" :rock:
Cheers Willie

Latest posts

Back