PDA

View Full Version : oil light flashing

thrlskr
30-04-2011, 07:32 AM
can someone please tell me why my oil pressure light is flashing, just changed oil and filter penrite oil 0w40 enviro with a ryco oil filter guessing its got something to do with the filter, plently of oil in it.:cheers!:

Leprechaun
30-04-2011, 08:20 AM
oil pump failure......... kabooooooom!

Probably just a sensor fault. Not sure how to test the oil pressure, but I'm sure one of the smarts on here will help you out.

Bosshog
30-04-2011, 08:26 AM
It happened to me shortly after a service (like within 10ks) apparently the oil level must be exact or it triggers the sender.

Old.Tony
30-04-2011, 11:40 AM
+1. Recheck the oil level exactly as described in the manual. If it's overfull, it will cause trouble - and you'll probably wear most of it inside your intercooler unless you have a catch can fitted.

thrlskr
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
you guys wont believe it, it was a rather stupid fix lol, after u change oil & filter and start the car up to let the oil flow through the filter etc and re-check you must have the drivers door open whilst doing it, cant be expalined as to why it did it but mate at nissan has seen it a few times on navara d40's really wierd doesnt happen to all navaras though.

Bosshog
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
you guys wont believe it, it was a rather stupid fix lol, after u change oil & filter and start the car up to let the oil flow through the filter etc and re-check you must have the drivers door open whilst doing it, cant be expalined as to why it did it but mate at nissan has seen it a few times on navara d40's really wierd doesnt happen to all navaras though.

Correct I do not believe it.

Old.Tony
02-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Consider yourself lucky. At least you don't have to have a blonde patting your tail lights to make the wipers work like in mine.

Wait, I've gotta run. I just saw a yeti.

KraftyPg
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Actually Nissan could be onto something, the two times my lo oil warning has come on the dash my doors were shut, usually I drive around with them open but on those two occasions they were definitely shut. Thanks Mr Nissan!

the_bluester
03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
To debunk that one, I have had it come on with a change done with the door open in my R51 Pathfinder. Usually seems to be just a temporary bubble on the sensor, or if you turn the ignition on while the level is low when filling it with oil it trips and latches the alarm even if you then top it up to the right level. Dropping the battery off for a few seconds has been the fix for me (As I lack a scangauge or similar to reset it that way)

KraftyPg
03-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Of course it doesn't work in a Pathy, it's the fuel lid that operates the switch in the expensive model.

Dave
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

WTF.

Do Nissan put Gremlins in D40's when there being built ?

KraftyPg
03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
No the gremlins are farmed out to the dealerships and come up with the hair brained ideas on how to fix things.

thrlskr
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM

believe it i did it myself!

thrlskr
04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
these so called cars are a piece of crud would never buy one again, i had a t/d prado and never encounted any problems had it for several years absolutly no problems, thought id upgrade to a new navara always liked the look of them boy what a mistake, this thing i rubbish will be selling it very soon

Old.Tony
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I think you'll find that any vehicle - like many other items - could have issues. That your vehicle has had a small problem with the oil light doesn't mean that Navaras across the board are bad vehicles.

The driver's door can't be related to the solution - that will be coincidence. The driver's door switch is a normally-closed (ie when the door is open, the switch is ON) ground-feed to pin 15 of the car's BCM (Body Control Module) which is located inside the dash. Refer p21 of BL.PDF (the D40 manual). The BCM does NOT report this activity back to the ECU - it does report it to the instrument panel (p27/192 of LAN.pdf).

Thus Bosshog's skepticism is well-grounded. I call it coincidence, because there's no relationship between the engine control module (ECM) in the engine bay and the body control module (inside the cabin) apart from they're getting power from the same battery and ultimately reporting certain things to the ECU (the master computer). The BCM and ECM units are independent of each other and for this reason, your door switch and oil lamp are unrelated.

Personally I'd never own a Toyota. Their recent recall issues don't do a lot for their reputation, and chewing through more fuel than a Navara uses isn't a good look either - especially since they have less power. If you had one of those Toyotas you'd be saying differently about them - and possibly looking in THIS direction.

It does come down - a lot of the time - to personal taste.

KraftyPg
05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
What really scares me is if the oil light comes on while I'm driving down the highway, opening the door could be dangerous. I have to agree atleast Toyota's don't have such stupid methods of clearing and reporting errors, mind you that Playdo's go a lot of places with their doors open when you want them too.

As Tony says any vehicle can have problems and most do from time to time (expect of course those super D22's) and saying all of them are crap is like saying all guys who ride motorbikes are crap because of the idiot you saw doing burnouts last week. I'm not Toyota bias, I drive a Playdo and Hilux quite often around the farms and the Playdo is great for limo farm rides, recalls aren't a major issue, fuel is like anything treat it right and it treats you right and they are bloody tough. But that doesn't mean a Nav (even a D40) can't do the same thing.

I understand you're p'd but really are you p'd totally over the car or are you just a wee bit p'd that you have believed a story like holding the door open removes problems?

thrlskr
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
i realise that opening a door seems silly but im serious did it myself, i even googled it and would you believe its on there, been a mechanic for a very long time never come across any such a problem in my time.

Really not liking the problems im having with this car, stuip cracking noise's from steering that come and go, squeeky bushes, high fuel consumption, the length of it as far as parking it goes-everything is a three point turn, dusty brakes, rattles from engine its only done 45k serviced every 5k extremely well maintained. in the time i had a prado no problems apart from your normal servicing when i traded it in it had clocked just over 386k cant see this thing getting that far, people reporting t/chain failure as low as 40k, as for the power agreed this has more but its also 7 years newer than my prado was but the prado never let me down once! like i said will be selling it very soon!

thrlskr
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
also anything warranty nissan dont want to know about it or make some bull shit excuse as to why they wont cover it bunch of useless cocks!

thrlskr
05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
can someone explain why the light wouldnt go out? and then can someone can explain as to why the light went straight out after i opened the door?

KraftyPg
06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Time frame, both times I've see the oil light and lo Oil words on the dash they only lasted 30 seconds or so.

But hey if you want to believe the door is connected to the oil light then that's entirely up to you, there is just as silly if not sillier rumours floating around the net that have gained a huge following by having one person convinced there right and starting a forum.

thrlskr
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
did oil change oil pressure light was flashing turned it off checked my work all sweet started it again light still flashing, turned it off let the the car sit 2 hours checked oil level spot on, started vehicle still on reved car to get some oil flow still on? never said anything about low oil level.

doesnt matter i like the car, i like the space, i like the way it drives just dont like everything im rading as far as problems go and nissan ****ed attitude towards warranty.

Old.Tony
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I wonder if the oil pressure sensor is faulty, blocked or there's simply a loose connector on it?

The workshop manual describes a process of removing the oil pressure switch and connecting a gauge (part number ST25051001) via a hose with connector (part number ST25052000) and monitoring the oil pressure, referring to the following chart:

Idle Speed - more than 120KPa
2,000rpm - more than 250KPa

when the engine oil is at 80C. It has a specific warning that "When engine oil temperature is low, engine oil pressure becomes high". It states that if the difference is extreme, check [the] oil passage and oil pump for leaks.

stuartcarr2002
17-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Pathy series 4. Re the door open and oil light. No coincidence. If i start the car on a down hill slope and start it with the door open, the low oil light will come on. If i start it with the door shut, it doesnt come on. My parents have the same car but a Ti and does the same. The reset procedure involves the use of the door... It is on the pathy forum how to reset.

Hope this helps

KraftyPg
18-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Still find it hard to believe the door switch (or is it wireless from the door hinge?) is connected to the oil light. I often start my ute on a slope with and without the door open because my driveway has a 27 degree slope on it and the farms are mountain goat country and I've only ever seen the low oil light twice and one of those times was on flat ground.

However I also find it hard to believe putting oil in diesel has benefits, or putting hydrogen in tyres has benefits so my disbelief shouldn't effect what others think. Maybe if someone was able to produce a schematic showing the two items electrically connected somewhere in the cars system it might be a little more believable though.

thrlskr
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Well guys after the doubt from u turns out its not unusual and I have proof, there is a bulletin about it I'll be sure to scan it and post it up for u.

Cobez
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
im surprised you came back to carry on after nearly 2 years lol

thrlskr
12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
im surprised you came back to carry on after nearly 2 years lol

Carry on? Never left been on here the whole time! I had a little rant is there a problem with cracking a sad? Does your car not have problems?

Cobez
12-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Haha nah mate i wasnt having a dig, i was just surprised you remembered this thread from nearly two years ago. I cant even remember threads i posted two weeks ago lol. And nah, 147xxx kms and mine only needs a pinion seal in the diff. Best car i have owned out of five.

kwilko
25-04-2016, 12:56 AM
after being parked on a slope for 6 or 7 hours in full sun, my oil light flashed on start up for about 20 seconds - I haven't been able to repeat this starting from cold...the oil level appears to be OK - the vehicle is a couple of hundred KM overdue for an oil change.
any ideas?

Old.Tony
25-04-2016, 06:14 AM
The lower section of the oil pan isn't very large and if your oil level was normal, it should have been full so physically you might have been fine.

However the oil level sensor sits towards the rear on the right hand side of the engine. A significant nose-down or left-side-low attitude could uncover the sensor.