Vinyl Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04SilverSTR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought i would post up about my New vinyl canopy and what i did to make it work.

First off i got given 2 set of late model sports bars, so one for the back and one for the front. I measured and worked out where i wanted the back one to go and traced around the black base the remove it and center punched and drilled the holes, had to remove the tail light to get in the cavity behind them.

I get the curved sides and center peak made up at a local fab place, they only cost $42.50, i actually made my own curved side out of some thin zinc sheet i had here, but i wasn't going to be strong enough. better to do things right the first time.

2684542700100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

the read bar on and one side curve.

2784113360100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

The left side

2500402760100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

All 3 now on

2482741110100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

The right side, i have only screwed these on for the moment, will see how they go, i might have to rivet them later.

cheers
bryan

Last edited:
2879882640100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

2389784460100490923S500x500Q85.jpg

The finished product. this was done by Custom Canvas here in maryborough, i will get some more pics of in side soon, but he has out dust flaps on each opening flap, vents to let air in the front to pressurize it and slow the dust down. it uses all the orriginal hooks and sale track form the genuine torno cover. Cost $490.

cheers
bryan
Forward Message

WHERES MINE O I THINK YOU SHOULD GIVE CODY A HAMR NEXT TIMEHE HELPS YOU LMDO

dibs

This is what I wanted to do until I realized I'd prefer it to be lockable.. No good if the fridge and everything is packed away and some sneaky bugger just opens it and takes off.. And I didt want to get a canvas made only to need another one later on down the track when I built s
Lockable cage.

You can still make it lockable just mesh the roof then make up gates for the inside that are on gas struts with drop t handles and your away. if your really interested let me know i can draw you a pic to explain and also point out all the little things that will pop up and make it not work properly. ie. if you make the door to high it will put pressure on the zip when you open it etc. there are a few small traps like that.
Less than $500 is good going id be $600 just to do the cover but with that said it wouldnt have all those wrinkles and pull lines in it :p

still looks good but ive been gonna do the same thing with the roll bars got one lined up for $30 from a local tray supplier but didnt know if it would look any good so thanks for the pic. I think ill definatly go that way now instead of making a whole new frame :)

Top idea, the roll bars follow the line of the ute too, instead of buying aftermarket vinyl canopy. Got a mate thats a motor trimmer, might have to get him to do the same for me :)

shouldn't need to weld them mate even to fit lockable cages ;) just need to be inventive
just drill holes into roll bar and make gate with pins that push into those holes then put a padlock or weld to lock into place. you have to leave enough gap between the cage and the bar so the cage will clear the zips also.

Hmm I'm not sure how well it will work. I will put a few ideas together and see how it goes.. I may do a solid top so I'm able to put things on top.. Eventually fit a rack on top..
I really want mine setup exactly like case built his... If only I had the moola when he sold up...

Search canvus canopy. It's honestly absolute perfection in a canvas canopy

You can still make it lockable just mesh the roof then make up gates for the inside that are on gas struts with drop t handles and your away. if your really interested let me know i can draw you a pic to explain and also point out all the little things that will pop up and make it not work properly. ie. if you make the door to high it will put pressure on the zip when you open it etc. there are a few small traps like that.
Less than $500 is good going id be $600 just to do the cover but with that said it wouldnt have all those wrinkles and pull lines in it :p

still looks good but ive been gonna do the same thing with the roll bars got one lined up for $30 from a local tray supplier but didnt know if it would look any good so thanks for the pic. I think ill definatly go that way now instead of making a whole new frame :)

I can see exactly what you are thinking of in my head too. if the day ever comes i may look at doing something like that.

mind you i do chain the fridge in while its in there, but when traveling you are never really that far away from the car.

at the end of the day i went this way because A. it was cheaper B. there is way more accesses to the tube than a glass canopy and C. didnt want the weight of a glass canopy either.

bryan

$490 for the canvas, that seems a good price. i got a price in ballarat for the same thing and they wanted a $1000.00

That's vinyl Dave.
Yeah the cost is the only thing temping me to stay with this style setup.
Buy it will be difficult to make it safely lockable ...! The side shouldnt be so hard. More the rear I think.. An mounting the doors nice and tight.. To not have a ridiculous amount of rattling

Latest posts

Back