Navara regrets?! :-(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post and it does not sound too happy.
I just picked up my new str today. All happy, until i had a look at log books. Is this a mistake ? 1000km, 5000km, 10000km, 15000k etc service, whats going on ?.
I have never owned a diesel before, but I plan to do a few km. The service will kill me, I have read in these forums that nissan charges like a wounded bull for the most basic of service.
Now I keep thinking of the Triton salesman whom kept mentioning "every 15000km service, not like the others"
Anyway, like i said, i have never had a diesel before and it is common knowledge that diesels have more frequent service intervals, please excuse my rant.

The first 1000k is free, 5000k services are usually If you live in a dusty environment. 10000ks is the norm, Your salesman should have explained the servincing schedules on delivery???
My 10000k service cost $220 at Nissan

Last edited:
mojo, if you don't or can't service it yourself find a local 4x4 mob that can be recommended to you by someone else if possible. I serviced mine from day 1 and i took it back to nissan a couple of times for warranty issues and there was no mention of me doing my own servicing. You can either put on original filters or go ryco filters, i go ryco except for the air filter. I do mine every 5000kms, everyone to there own. Most do theres at 10000kms.

cheers,

Lance

You can do the servicing every 10,000km's and keep your warrenty.

I do mine every 5000km's though, clean oil is always better.

Dave.

I did my 1st 5,000km service through Nissan as was too busy.....was only $95 Oil, Filters & Check Up. Nearly due for the 10,000km one now and was quoted $195 from Nissan for a standard service.

I don't mind doing oil change, but i was afraid of warranty issues. So only 10000 service is compulsory ? I have always done my own oil change on previous cars. I feel a bit better... :)

looking at my log book now, how come at the 10,000km service it says

Replace engine oil (except for 2wd d22 models with yd engine) ticked
Replace engine oil (for 2wd d22 models with yd engine) not ticked?

it says the oil filter should be replaced, but not the engine oil? odd.

I think you may find most new cars have an intermediate service which is recommended but not compulsory. Probably a great way for the dealers to increase their sales. I get mine serviced every 10k (or 15k for my mitsubishi) and change the oil in between myself.

Well, not sure what to think of it, I had a choice between the mitsubishi and navara. The Mitsubishi had a 10 year engine warranty!! and it has a 15000 km interval the nissan 5000km. Somehow i smell greed on nissan's part.
Anyway, I am not unhappy, the truck is very nice :)

I think you may find most new cars have an intermediate service which is recommended but not compulsory. Probably a great way for the dealers to increase their sales. I get mine serviced every 10k (or 15k for my mitsubishi) and change the oil in between myself.

Yeah i bought a 2wd Triton ute for that very reason. It has 60 odd thousand kms now and the longer service intervals are brilliant. Mitsubishi certainly has better warranties periods thats for sure. Just change your oil yourself at 5 if you intend keeping the car for a long time, and get it serviced every 10. The 2 cars I was deciding between were the GLX-R triton and the Nav, but the quality of the nav won it for me. and the fact that there were loads and loads of Tritons for sale that wee only 12 months or so old. That didnt look like a good sign to me.

I was amazed at resale value of Navara's. It was cheaper to get a new model at drive away prices then some of the second hand!! Anyway, in the end, wife preferred Navara over triton. No contest in looks department, triton is plain fugly....

Yeah i bought a 2wd Triton ute for that very reason. It has 60 odd thousand kms now and the longer service intervals are brilliant. Mitsubishi certainly has better warranties periods thats for sure. Just change your oil yourself at 5 if you intend keeping the car for a long time, and get it serviced every 10. The 2 cars I was deciding between were the GLX-R triton and the Nav, but the quality of the nav won it for me. and the fact that there were loads and loads of Tritons for sale that wee only 12 months or so old. That didnt look like a good sign to me.

story from a mate of mine whos a mechanic at RAC...

his dad has a mitsubishi pajero since early 90's and every service it was taken to mitsu for services. recently my mate decided to do a full over check and service as the car was running like shit.

he told me how it was nearly impossible to open the diff plugs, sump plugs, etc because they were so stuck from never being opened. once opened the oil was a dark thick black and it was clear they had never been changed. the oil and air filters were changed (of course) but it was clear that no other fluids had been replaced in the whole time it was serviced by mitsu.

pajero still goes hard though!

I doubt anyone would replace the oil filter without first dropping the oil.

If the engine oil hadn't been replaced since the early 90's I doubt it would still go hard.

Diffs, gearbox ect I could believe.

i meant the oil, as in oil, and the air filters had been replaced. also the oil filters.

my bad, thats how i meant it.

pretty bad though that they never changed the gearbox oil, etc.

i get mine serviced every 5 religiously...and still have dramas. But i rekn its better to be safe then sorry.

The service book is a generic Nissan one with the models added in so the dealer can tell you whatever they like and get more money out of you if youre not on the ball.

Some dealers will tell you 10k servicing some tell you 15k, doesnt really matter as long as you do the 5k oil dumps in between yourself.

i do my oil and filter every 5000 cause i tow a large trailer all day every day
and a service every 10 000. just turned 60 000. and alls well.

Latest posts

Back