Contaminated Fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

Reaction score
Hi Guys
My contaminated fuel story.
Vehicle: 2006 Navara D40 ST-X 6 Speed Diesel
- Had its 110,000km service about 4 weeks ago. Mechanic found traces of diesel algae. Warned of danger to fuel system and suggested I try and kill it with large doses (250ml per tank) of Fuel Doctor www.fueldoctors.com.au
- I did about 1,000km (about 2 tanks) and Navara went into limp mode. I pulled over, turned off engine, waited a few seconds and started it again. No probs! I have a Scanguage and it showed error code P0089.
- When I got home, I looked up P0089 and suggest a fuel pump issue. Search the forum and tried a ECU reset.
- I drop the Navara into Nissan for rim recall and mentioned the issue. Nissan told me fuel pump issue and new fuel pump costing around $6k plus fitting.
- Navara continued to go into limp mode on each trip. Try loosening the fuel cap as per some advice on the forum with no success.
- Took Navara back to my mechanic and he again report diesel algae and rust in the fuel system.
- Quoted $8,500 to flush tank & fuel lines to pump, replace pump, fuel lines to common rail, common rail, fuel lines to injector and injectors. SHIT!
- He suggest I talk to my insurer and ask whether I was covered for contaminated fuel. After a nervous call to my insurer, I found out I was covered.
- Claim now approved, excess paid and now waiting on Navara to be repaired.

I will provide an up-date when I get the Navara back.

Ian

Ime with nrma and they assured me dirty fuel damage is covered as its an accident/damage that you did not wilfully cause yourself

I am with Vero however I understand other do offer cover for contaminated fuel.

The purpose of my blog was twofold:

1. To warn people of the damage contaminated fuel can do and
2. Make sure you check with your insurer that you are covered.

Ian

Not that anyone would contaminate their fuel intentionally, however it will be nice to get the Navara back with basically a new fuel system. I wonder if I will notice any difference.

I will also be using Fuel Doctor religiously in future to try and reduce this happening again!

i think u just a bad batch...iv got 2006 yd25 200,000ks no signs of fuel issues/limp mode *touch wood*

however that diesel algae does develop over time tho...

If you get a bad tank full, and notice quick enough, put in a claim through the supplier. I got a bad tank from BP, they paid for my repairs. Luckily it only needed the tank/lines flushed out and no damage to the pump.

Pay on credit if you can also, that way you always have proof of when and were you filled up.

Pete

ianf

i have only recently started using the Fuel Doctor you describe. it certainly gives you piece of mind with lubrication and killing all algae and water in your tank. i have used probably 500mls in the nav and also 100ml in my wifes fiesta. Fiesta had an idling issue and it misfired after using the Fuel Doctor the misfire wasnt as frequent but still needed a spark plug regapping and it is running perfect now. The Nav runs smoother and feels like it can pull alot harder, smoother responses to the peddle.

I will be ringing RACQ tomoz asking if im covered for Contaminated Fuel. if not BYE BYE RACQ

thanks mate

ill reiterate that pay with plastic and also some insurers will only pay with a sample of the fuel so keep some if the unfortunate happens to you

When i was ship's 'tanky' in the Navy, we were always testing for water contamination to reduce chance of growing algae (cladiosporum resinae) in the fuel tanks. Always issues with condensation etc in tropics and general marine environment. We were always told, once 'clad' gets into the fuel storage and supply system, the ship is alongside for a very long time getting everything cleaned out. Big job when you consider we carried 197 000 US gallons of diesel. Doesn't pay to have that stuff floating into a gas turbine either.

Contacted RACV today & I was advised if the wrong fuel was put into the vehicle it would be considered accidental damage & is covered.

If the right fuel was put in but it was contaminated, it would be considered willful damage?? & would need to be investigated. When questioned further it was indicated that they would need to confirm that the damage was due to contaminated fuel but if it was confirmed, it would be covered.

Contacted RACV today & I was advised if the wrong fuel was put into the vehicle it would be considered accidental damage & is covered.

If the right fuel was put in but it was contaminated, it would be considered willful damage?? & would need to be investigated. When questioned further it was indicated that they would need to confirm that the damage was due to contaminated fuel but if it was confirmed, it would be covered.

thats good to know,

I received the same response but in a heap longer detail. If I put the fuel in and it was contaminated it would be investigated and assessed for damage etc and may be covered. The girl on phone wasn't very helpful. Obviously in that we would be paying the excess before the touched it

Yeah Dave,
But it's not like the fuel station has a sign up saying contaminated fuel - use at your own risk... is it.
None of us would buy dodgy fuel for fun. Apparently, the first sign is the symptoms described above. Other than the "gut feeling" of a dodgy servo there is no other way of even suspecting if a servo has "bad fuel" on sale.
Just saying it is all.

Latest posts

Back