D40 Vibration

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie

Reaction score
I have a d40 auto 07 on a recent trip to Melbourne towing a 2.2 tonne van at about 90 kmh i put it into overdrive for about 10mins on the flat and noticed a bad vibration i thought it was the road and it went away after a few mins i then put it back out of overdrive and carried on for a while then i tried it again in overdrive and the vibration came back while it was vibrating i locked it back out of overdrive and it stopped as soon as i hit the button does anyone know what could cause this.

Ozzie

It's probably the torque converter clutch. You should experience it loaded or unloaded.

It's been problematic for others and Nissan have replaced the torque converter. If you got the extended warranty you are in luck, but otherwise you'll have to get a new torque converter.

Check it first, try this out: unloaded in 'D' with overdrive ON, on flat ground, get the vehicle to 70km/h indicated then gently start taking the car higher. As you reach 75km/h the RPM should drop to about 1500-1600. Continue accelerating lightly until about 85km/h. If you let off the throttle, the revs should NOT drop. Continue accelerating LIGHTLY again to 95km/h.

Now, if that all happened smoothly then your torque converter is probably okay. If you notice the vibration, the TCC is unable to complete its locking cycle.

d40 Vibration

Thanks Tony i will give it a try tomorrow might have to go for a wholsale autos torque convertor conversion

Ozzie

Do you think this will eventually fail i only have about 70k on the clock and are thinking about travelling up north?

as well as the usual city driving, i have driven from brisbane to adelaide, to sydney and to canberra many times without any concerns. only gets annoying when towing, otherwise you just get used to adjusting your throttle/gears to get either side of the shudder spot

D40 vibration

Thanks Ericcs i will be doing a lot of towing as i have recently purchased a new van i will worry about it when it gets annoying as it sounds like a pricy thing to fix.

Ozzie

if i'm coming to a hill and i know it's going to happen, i either accelerate to get a run up and hold it above the kickdown point or just back off and let it kick back before it happens, or just unlock the overdrive until the roads flat again. no big deal, you just get used to it.
i haven't priced a new one myself, but others on this forum have quoted around the 2k mark

Errics on that note i feel better i will keep driving doesnot seem to be a major problem and 2k would be better spent on a diesel gas system.

Ozzie

Latest posts

Back