Intercooler for 2003 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
I got a Nav 3 litre turbo diesel motor which appears to have been originally built without an intercooler and if there is one somewhere in the engine bay I'm buggered if I can see it. It all looks original to me.
Now I'm still learning about the nav's so, my question is, if the vehicle wasn't made with an intercooler, is there a reason why I should have one fitted now.

You are correct, they never had one from the factory.

Benefits of fitting one are slightly lower exhaust gas temps, slightly more power and torque due to cooler intake charge temps and it will catch any bits of turbo, if it happens to let go, before they go into the engine...

As above. Main reason I fitted the inter cooler to my 04 model 3L was for highway towing to keep temps exhaust temps lower and if the turbo ever goes pop it isnt going through the top end. As a plus the bonnet scoop looks good too.

And before you drop any coin on one, have a look at the forefront intercooler - they seem to be the ducks nuts & are a great price.

turbo diesels love intercooling.
the patrol/terrnao ZD30 comes with intercooler. with the navara nissan cheaped out.
and no the patrol one won't easily fit and its prone to cracking anyway.

I've been looking at the forefront winch version intercooler but I'm not sure how much butchery I'd have to do to fit it. I don't have a winch so does it just bolt on without any cutting.
I also don't know how old the turbo is so been thinking of the forefront replacement.
All ya tips would be welcome.

Yep, they have designed them to bolt straight in with no mods required. Same with the turbo...

I've got both a big front mount kit and a billet turbo from FFI fitted to my 03 ZD30.
Highly recommend both from an ease of fitting point of view.

If the forefront kit was available back when I got my top mount I/c. I would have got the forefront kit instead of the top mount. Top mount is good but it is a pain for servicing and with a dual battery kit you have to shift the fuel filter

Here's my DIY top mount on a '05 D22 which I just finished yesterday. It's a micro intercooler off ebay. It was fairly tight for space but it fitted ok in the end & I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm planning to add a bonnet scoop just to get a bit more cooling benefit, but at least I now have the peace of mind knowing the motor's protected if the turbo goes.
I reckon it cost me less than $300 all up.

Attachments

• DSC_0368.jpg
    DSC_0368.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0370.jpg
    DSC_0370.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0371.jpg
    DSC_0371.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 216
interesting setup there. same intercooler as some of us have used but in a different orientation.
you've done well to fit everything in.

Here's my DIY top mount on a '05 D22 which I just finished yesterday. It's a micro intercooler off ebay. It was fairly tight for space but it fitted ok in the end & I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm planning to add a bonnet scoop just to get a bit more cooling benefit, but at least I now have the peace of mind knowing the motor's protected if the turbo goes.
I reckon it cost me less than $300 all up.

interesting setup there. same intercooler as some of us have used but in a different orientation.
you've done well to fit everything in.

Thanks mate,

I did know a few other guys on here have used this same "micro" intercooler. It looks like reasonable quality, but I'm pretty sure they are a chinese import. For that price they would have to be! So I'm interested in hearing any reports from those who have had them in their vehicles for a while- how have they lasted? any cracking, splitting, or leaks etc?

mines fine.
they're pretty strong little buggers.
only thing wrong with them is theyre a bit small, but any bigger and it makes them too hard to fit.

mines fine.
they're pretty strong little buggers.
only thing wrong with them is theyre a bit small, but any bigger and it makes them too hard to fit.

Glad to hear yours is still going well! Yep- they're a great size for convenient fitting, but not so much for really effective cooling. Have you fitted a bonnet scoop with yours?

Thanks for all your help guys. Intercooler is now on the agenda for next project.
Does anyone know if FFI will be at the Perth 4x4 show ?
Cheers

Glad to hear yours is still going well! Yep- they're a great size for convenient fitting, but not so much for really effective cooling. Have you fitted a bonnet scoop with yours?

ben85, I did a search last night & found your thread about your bonnet scoop. Looks good, nice job.

Well I still haven't got around to installing an intercooler but here's something that has been bugging me and please don't abuse me for being old and slow and non mechanically minded and I can't remember if I've asked this question before .:santaclaus:
A turbo forces air into the motor. Correct ?? or not.
Surely if a turbo lets go, it will throw forward not backwards.
So just how does an intercooler help if the turbo goes ??

Cheers and merry xmas to all
Oldie
:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back