Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

Location of Suction Control Valve on a V9X Engine
Old 29-09-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Location of Suction Control Valve on a V9X Engine

hello to all I am trying to locate the Suction Control Valve on my 2011 STX550 Navara I have looked in my Workshop Manual and can not find it anywhere I would have thought it would have been in the engine control section but it is not unless it is under a different name any help would be much appreciated
many thanks
cheers Pete
Sponsored Links

Old 30-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

Not sure the 550 has a SCV , i've only heard it mentioned in relation to the 2.5 .

Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 AM

thanks for the reply Rumpig mmmm I thought that might be the case but they do sell them https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-N...8/113130710577

my reason for asking is my vehicle is blowing a bit of black smoke at the moment and someone suggested it might be the suction control valve it blows the smoke under acceleration but when cruising it disappears there is no loss of power and fuel consumption is around 9.5 to 10.5 (fully loaded with work stuff) suburban driving so I figure the injectors are Ok I have followed another STX550 and did not notice any smoke coming out of that just not sure what is causing it .
I had a Dyno Test done about 6 months ago and all seemed good with that but they mentioned that it was blowing black smoke under load and they were not sure why this is where the suction control valve came into play as the fella said it would be a good place to start and the cheapest
but I can not seem to locate one on this engine .
cheers Pete

Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

If it's blowing heaps of BLACK trying running a decent injector cleaner thru it and also change your air filter.
I also suggest checking the horrible hose clamps on all the piping.
The original piping down to the intercooler is known to go super soft when hot and sucks in on itself under harder acceleration, may pay to replace with a hard pipe.
Lastly if you have a snorkel, check if your piping is clear - definetly a pain to do but better to be sure

Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

The SCV (if yours has one, which is likely) sits on the top of the pump, at about 1 o'clock as you look at it from the front. It has a black electrical connector on it.

I wouldn't suspect the SCV for smoke straight away, as Manning says. I'd look at air filter, MAFS clean (it's in the air intake, unlike the YD25, yours is part of the air tube itself just outside the air filter). You MUST be careful with this. Do NOT EVER poke anything into the MAFS. You can spray it with electrical contact cleaner, but don't touch the innards, it's extremely sensitive (and expensive). If the MAFS is dirty, it will report the incoming air stream incorrectly to the ECU and the ECU will calculate fuel and boost incorrectly.

You could whack a Bluetooth OBD adapter (ELM327) in and watch your boost pressure. The V9X should easily produce 20psi of boost. If you're not getting that, and boost pressure doesn't rise fairly quickly when your engine revs climb, your turbocharger might be less responsive than it ought to be. This will probably be a bearing issue, and may show itself as a sloppy impeller/turbine shaft. This shaft shouldn't wobble, if yours does then your turbocharger may need replacing.

As Manning says, checking the air path is important. Also make sure your battery terminals are nice and clean as erratic electrical connections can cause problems which might result in commands to the turbocharger or fuel system not being as accurate as they ought to be.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 02-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys for the replies much appreciated I will check all that out I have got a snorkel fitted but it was only done 2 weeks ago and it was doing the same before then just went for a run up to Gosford and fuel is sitting on 9.3lp100k and ran like a treat up and back .
I will check the MAFS as that makes sense I am using a KLM air filter also have a Forge Industries intercooler with hard pipe conversion there was a small oil leak on this but has been fixes by replacing Orings .
the smoke only happens when I deck it once the revs catch up it goes away or if running up a steep hill and the gears are hunting for a second or 2 and labours in-between gear change just feel bit sere sorry for the people behind me they get a puff of smoke in there face .

Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 AM

oh forgot to mention the boost pressure is at between 20 to 24 full boost and is quite reactive (have a boost gauge installed )
thanks again

Old 03-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

As mentioned above, black smoke is due to excess fuel or lack of air. Once the turbo starts spooling, the air component is covered, it is before you start getting boost that you generally get smoke as the ecu increases fuel above the amount of air available. To get boost, you need fuel, too much fuel (rich mixture) produces black smoke, overfueling (white smoke) is unburnt fuel being pushed out the exhaust.

I don't really know what you mean by KLM filter, but if you mean K&N (one of the oiled ones), I would be buggering that off and fitting a paper one. The biggest issue (apart from letting fine dust through) with oiled ones is coating the MAF sensor in oil, which in turn gives the ecu either incorrect readings or they are delayed. If you have one of those filters in at the moment, try changing it out with a paper one, clean the maf sensor and disconnect the battery to reset the ecu, then drive it around a bit to see if the issue is still there.

Either that or follow 200 series landcruisers around and see what bad smoke is like haha

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Old 03-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Hi Bods
yeh sorry I typed K&N filter but auto spell did it again and yep its the oiled version its due for service shortly so I will get a genuine one to put back in I gave the MAFS a clean last night with some circuit board spray but didn't touch the sensor it self as Old Tony suggested but didn't read do anything .
and yes its before the boost kicks in as soon as it has spooled up the smoke goes away
I have followed a couple of series 200 and yes they do chuff a fair bit of black smoke behind one yesterday coming up Bulli Pass in Wollongong
thanks for your help Bods Much appreciated
cheers Pete

Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

The 200 series cruisers I have seen around perth lately remind me of the smoke screen that the bat mobile puts out haha.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk