Go Back   The Navara Forum > Tech Talk > General Tech Talk

D22 Fuel filter plunger issues
Old 18-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Garage
Default D22 Fuel filter plunger issues

Hello, I have seen this thread posted a few times but I cannot figure out the remedy from any other posts so I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any tips, here is the problem I have -

I changed the fuel filter for the first time on my D22, when I went to pump the plunger i found that there is no fuel plunging from the tank to the fuel filter inlet, or through the filter and out of the outlet. Does anybody have any advice on what this may be? I don't know whether it may be a dodgy seal on the new filter or if the plunger is faulty (as its the first time ive changed the filter), or i was reading on other threads that I can push the fuel through the lines with compressed air?

Just wondering on where would be the best place to start, Any help would be appreciated as it has become a real frustration! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 18-05-2011, 02:10 PM

My Mood:

Yeah I recently did the same thing and was told I only had to pump it a few times but nothing seemed to happen. It wasn't untill I had a really good go at pumping that sucker that any fuel travelled up the line and primed. Once it was done the plunger was really stiff to push. I was there for probably a full minute pumping like a mad man. Must of looked suss. Hope that helps

Old 18-05-2011, 11:38 PM

Garage

Haha yeah the mrs might get a bit worried if she's listening... I've given it a real go but not having any luck,
Does anybody know Would it help to get a vacuum pump on the inlet or outlet fuel pipes at the fuel plunger or I read where someone hooked an air compressor up to their fuel tank and forced it through.. Don't really know which way to go... Was even thinking of sticking a primer bulb on the inlet line to see if that will help bring it up in the future... Does anyone have any advice on which would be the best route to take?
Cheers
Tim

Old 19-05-2011, 12:19 AM

I had the same problem last week.

Get someone to pump air into the fuel tank while pumping the primer. In my case it took almost an hour of on and off pumping. What ever you do dont start the car untill the filter is primed, otherwise you will be priming all day.

Goodluck

Old 19-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Garage

Thanks for the advice mate! Do you just pump air into the fuel tank at the fuel cap where you usually fill up?

Old 19-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

So , as a preventative measure, should you use hose clamps on the fuel line when you change the filter?

Too much to write here, so go check out my Garage!

No Primer
Old 19-05-2011, 08:15 AM

My Mood:
Default No Primer

Had similar problem pulled the prime roff and found small piece of crap under the valves in the pump cleaned out and working fine now .Only has to be small item to stop one way valve not to seat properly
Chris

Old 19-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Garage

what size are the rubber fuel lines on the filter,i wanna replace every piece i can find aswell as get another filter head as mine wont prime either.

Old 20-05-2011, 12:56 AM

Garage

I think the fuel lines are about 10mm, I have found a cheaper fix as I priced a fuel plunger setup at $250 from a mate at Nissan, which isnt too bad but there seems to be a bit of a common flaw with them,

so I decided to plumb in a marine style priming bulb (used to prime fuel lines on outboard motors) on the inlet fuel line to give the existing plunger a hand drawing from the tank, the setup only cost about $30 and worked like a charm, I'll try to chuck a photo on if I can figure out how to.. Would definitely recommend giving it a try

Old 20-05-2011, 01:30 AM

Garage

There's the pic if the priming bulb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4152250501.jpg
Views:	1719
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	3626