Go Back   The Navara Forum > Tech Talk > General Tyre Chat

Old 15-11-2017, 10:55 PM

I've been unable to find anyone who can successfully align the wheels on this current 2013 D22, or my last 2010 model. The last guy tried very hard, but said something about the castor being problematic.
Sponsored Links

Old 16-11-2017, 10:01 AM

The problem is with these utes is the castor.
Only way to do it properly is adjust a little at a time not all in one go, if you know what I mean.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 18-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Teach me, I'm all ears.

The 2010 I had always pulled VERY hard to the left.

The current 2013 pulls VERY hard to the right.

I have my own theory, but am keen to hear yours.

Old 19-11-2017, 07:59 PM

An aligner at Pedders told me once that the problem most shops have is that they align to the specs in one go according to the info on their screens. They do one side to specs and then the other.
The way he told me is that you gradually work your way up to the specs and tighten each side up as you go.
An allowance is made for the camber on the road and for the weight of the driver sitting in the car.
It does take longer but he reckoned it's the only way to do it properly.

Now I am in the hands of the shops just like everybody else and would never even attempt an alignment.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 22-11-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d22 View Post
An aligner at Pedders told me once that the problem most shops have is that they align to the specs in one go according to the info on their screens. They do one side to specs and then the other.
The way he told me is that you gradually work your way up to the specs and tighten each side up as you go.
An allowance is made for the camber on the road and for the weight of the driver sitting in the car.
It does take longer but he reckoned it's the only way to do it properly.

Now I am in the hands of the shops just like everybody else and would never even attempt an alignment.
That makes sense.

One guy tried for about 2 hours to get mine right, I had to call time on it in the end, as he was getting a bit OCD. He would get one side right, then do the other side, check the previous side & it was out again. Finally get them both in spec, test drive, he's still not happy, fiddle, fiddle, drive, fiddle fiddle, drive - you get the idea!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Got some new tyres today as the old ones were starting to let go in the wet and getting a bit noisy.
Can't complain with the old Dynapros clocking up 152 000kms with still 3mm to the wear indicators.
Replaced them with another set of Dynapros but found they have robbed me of 3mm tread.
The old ones had 15mm tread depth but the new ones only 12mm.
Still made in Korea with a date stamp of 10th month 2017 on all 4.
The shop had a deal with buy 4 and pay for 3, so happy days.

Soooo much quieter in the cab now and a totally different driving feel.