Stepho's D22 Build Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepho_62

Reaction score
Right O u lot. :fans:

I've been meaning to get my stuff in a sok so to speak for some time now and start a build up thread.

For a heap of reasons I've been unable to make it happen but nowz the time.

Soooo Drag up a chair, fill your glass n break out the :popcorn1: n Ill get on with it.

Chapter 1, the story thus far. :blasign:

I was looking for a replacement for my trusty 1998 Tdi 300 Cab Chassis Land-rover commonly known as Princess Fiona

DSC01625.jpg

Last edited:
Stepho's D22 buildup Pt 2

Christ, the admin perlice r after me already.

I've always been a Nissan man having owned a beautiful 1990 Model GQ Patrol which I had turbo charged, re sprung, etc etc etc.

I looked and researched, thought about it a lot and eventually decided on a 2.5l YD25. So the search began. I had seen one in the paper on a couple of occasions and went to look at several but they had big ks and or been knocked around really badly. I thought about purchasing a new one but was too tight so I just kept looking. I eventually I found what was to become known as "Gypsy" and managed to score it for a reasonably decent price. from memory I paid $22,990 with 56400k and 5 Months of warranty left.

This was the net result. Here is the vehicle sitting in the carpark at QLD transport the day I transferred it into my name. Looks ver, um virginal eh!

020_zps150c01fc.jpg

So, clearly the first thing that fell off the back of a truck to be fitted was a Bullbar. Now Im not a ARB fan, as a matter of fact Mr Brown (Anthony Roland that is) products are just a wee too expensive for me but it was last years stock and well what can I say. I also asked them to price out over $7500 worth of additional equipment, n I was told "ill give u a good discount where I can" their discount averaged over the whole lot was 1.85%.

056_zpsb4bab63f.jpg

The second bit was a Beaudesert Exhaust and I have to say that I was less than impressed with the company and their customer care. The exhaust didn't fit from the word go. It appears that the dump pipe was poorly made from the outset and i had to put some pressure on them to even replace the faulty part. It cost me an additional $150 to have the faulty engine pipe replaced and they weren't remotely interested in reimbursing me.

As for the product, well stuff me. U wouldn't credit the difference. Turbo spools up at least 400 RPM lower with a hefty increase fuel economy.

IMG_0649_zps061b8044.jpg

Next with some serious help from Zordo, I've popped in Ironman Springs and bars with Bilstein shocks at the front and EFS at the rear. The rear came up 55mm and the front about 60. Ive wound the front up to the point where the boot on the CV has about 10mm clearance to the lower contorl arm.

201207_zps2cc32436.jpg

Last edited:
Stepho

That exhaust is a Lil close to that member for my liking. Does jit make a crazy clanking noise when driving etc?Wat went down with beau exhaust? I was considering one of there systems but they haven't contacted me back with prides etc. So I looked into Scott's rods system,s and they don't do 100cell cats only 200cell units. I could always get it and smash it out seen you don't need them lol

Hi

I have not long fitted a Beaudesert 2-3/4 to mine. Full system was around $1200 from memory. System sounds good with no drone and a nice turbo note. You can look it up on YouTube if you search Beaudesert YD25 exhaust and listen to it.
I am now getting an extra 70-80km per tank with the exhaust. So I'm back to we're I was pre bull bar canopy etc. 700km per 65 liters. I was down to 620km before the exhaust. Heaps better performance towing to now. Pretty impressed with the service to order it 11:00am on the Tuesday and was on my doorstep in Sydney at 10:30am Wednesday, less than 12hrs. So can't knock that.

Cheers Brad

I carn't knock the beau exhaust either,i did get mine fitted cause i was lazy but noticed better performance and fuel economy on the drive back unusual but on the dyno boost was 16psi after exhaust stock was 15 before i was told they don't do ceramic coated dump pipes anymore due to problems mine fitted late last year is just straight pipe no coating heaps of clearance all around,only thing i don,t like is with the back windows down a drone occurs at abot 2000rpm

Hmmmm still undecided on beau system or Scotts rods 3" system. Scotts is a tad cheaper for larger pipe. s stated still waiting for beau to contact me back

Beaudesert Exhaust

Stepho

That exhaust is a Lil close to that member for my liking. Does jit make a crazy clanking noise when driving etc?Wat went down with beau exhaust? I was considering one of there systems but they haven't contacted me back with prides etc.

As i mentioned they were not interested in fixing the problem until prodded. After spending the additional $150 to have the engine pipe they sent up fitted, that was the end of it. The clearances are much better and as I said the product really does work well.

Last edited:
Stepho's D22 buildup Pt 3

Just checkin, No mod perlice around.

Right into it again.

I meant to say yesti that the combination of the Ironman Torsion Bars and Bilstein Shocks seems to be a great combination. I wound the bars up to the point where there was 10mm clearance between the CV boot on the bottom side on full droop and the lower control arm. When got the vehicle on a level piece of concrete in the car park I used a laser level to measure the heights of the body to the top of the wheel arch. there was 18mm fall rear to front and +- 3mm left to right. I was pretty happy with that.

So on with the story. I had a bit of a rest between the exhaust n the next bit of development (can't rush these thing you know and I do live in the tropics) but out of the blue I scored a pair of blue digital gauges for Gypsy One being a pyrometer and the other being a boost gauge.

I trundled off n brought a black ABS plastic Pillar Pod off some crowd in Victoria and the net result is below

159_zps7a419625.jpg

I also got some grey trim spray at an obscene price but hey I do live in ripoffville. First coat went on an hour ago.

Hi Stepho, nice build up so far L:confused3:King good. any chance you could find the name of the place you got pod from. Keep the updates coming, cant wait to see your results. I will get around to doing a build up thread for mine soon. like you said it takes time to get them together.

Cheers Brad.

Stepho's D22 buildup Pt 4

Where was I?????

Oh yeah, drag out the :popcorn1:

I'll have to do this in a couple of parts due to the Mod Perlice but next on the agenda was the mod of the Intercooler for a pressure tap on the outlet.

So, off to the Welders to put a piece of plate on the side, 45 x 55 x 5, then into the Drill.

160_zps6826f678.jpg

Drilled,

161_zps4b00b121.jpg

Tapped

163_zps8d45e362.jpg

Next post plz

Last edited:
Stepho's D22 buildup Pt 5

I must stop using Emoticons but I kinda like the popcorn junkie :)

AND Fitted :rock:

162_zpsb12ec33b.jpg

So back under the bonnet its gone, as i said earlier, first coat of trim colour has gone on the pod and we are off n getting somewhere. I've temporarily pugged the fitting until the sender goes in. The pod will be next and a spacer for the mirror. Why the mirror I hear you ask????? Well there is a reversing camera and screen to go in and the screen clips over the mirror. Problem is the screen wont fir over the mirror until I lower it about 10mm so that will get done too.

Thats all for now, more pics coming soon.

Last edited:
Hi Stepho, nice build up so far L:confused3:King good. any chance you could find the name of the place you got pod from. Keep the updates coming, cant wait to see your results. I will get around to doing a build up thread for mine soon. like you said it takes time to get them together.

Cheers Brad.

That one looks like the "autron" one. I have one of them too, but if you look on eBay there are 2 and 3 gauge pods on there fairly cheap. I think they are already painted grey too so they match without having to paint it yourself

Pillarpod n Instrument Install, Pt 1

So, Tonight the Pillar Pod looks like this.

Really not happy with this. I know that I'm not the best spray painter but I expected a better outcome.

I did it this moring n a reasonable good environment and despite the rain over the last 24 hours I didnt think it was damp.

I'll have to have a rub down n another go. :bad:

Pod_zps27edb2f0.jpg

Been a Bit Slak

G'day All,

Been a bit slak of late but busy as at work etc so no time for play.

Pillar Pod and Gauges are still perched on the end of the bench so no movement there but I have popped in a new Pioneer Head Unit and some sensible speakers.

Oh n a 40 Channel UHF as well. :blingbling:

photo_zps62847067.jpg

Last edited:
On a roll here :)

Here we go again :redcool:

I love it when a plan comes together. I was given these rubber mounted Hella's n I was a bit dubious about using them but I fired one up last night and they give out a beautiful thin pointed beam, Just what a bloke wants for a driving light.

A bit of fabricated mounting involving perlin bolts and some mat black spray and the mounting is done.

Just need to rat up a relay, a switch and a few other bits n all will be good with the world :rock:

Nav_Fend_zps4b43cec9.jpg

Canapes, Well not really but mighty fine anyway

:deadhorse:

Well, at the risk of flogging one. Here is my latest addition. This little gem was purchased second hand and parked in the shed. I stripped it down to its bare shell and then resprayed all of the black frames.

Then, life got in the way as it tends to do and I had packaged up and stored all of the bits. Man, if you are intending to do something up, take pics as u disassemble it. Sometimes it takes a while to remember where stuff goes if its been 12 months or more.:confused2:

Nav_canopy_1_zpsd2276f91.jpg

:rock:

Latest posts

Back