D40 Engine making oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajannav

Reaction score
Vehicle Specifications:- 2007 Nissan Navara 25819Kilometers
The present owner brought the vehicle to me back in November a couple weeks after having the oil changed and found that the oil was about 2" past the full mark. I adjusted the level by letting out 1.5L, in February I noticed couple drops of oil at the tail pipe and upon further investigation, a considerable amount of oil in the inlet components:- turbo, inter cooler, including the hose from rocker cover to turbo with the exception of the air filter box . I cleaned all the oil contaminated parts, checked the spill tube for leaks per the maintenance manual, no leaks were found. Reset check engine light, changed oil and filter. I test drove and the engine performed well, Vehicle came back after today700 miles with oil 3/4 inch over full and check engine light on. Could you tell me if there are any other Navara vehicles with reports of this problem of making oil?
I have included pictures to document my findings, I would appreciate any assistance you can offer in troubleshooting this problem that will lead to a solution.

Last edited:
i also struggle to read my dipstick after refilling with the correct amount. the oil level always shows 2 or 3 cm above the full line, but it doesn't look like a clean line, so i assume it's picking up oil in the tube when you push it in

Pretty sure I have read about similar problems of diesel contamination in the oil. I believe that the oil can be tested to confirm this.

When you say the present owner brought the vehicle to you are you saying you are the mechanic the owner is paying you to fix the problem?

The reason I ask is because I know two mechanics that handle oil fills differently, one fills up as per the service book and expects 5.7l to be used if the book says so and the other fills up according to the dipstick. They both check the dipstick before the vehicle leaves yet only one has had an issue with overfills and it's not the guy who ignores the book.

When I first started doing my services the mate and I looked for the capacity in the book and had a similar issue, wasn't the larger capacities you are talking about but it was overfull. Subsequent oil fills we use the dipstick, fill it up, run it, check it again, repeat as required and I've never had an issue since.

Similar thing happened in my old mans BT50, first service he measured out the amount of oil that the service manual said was required we only took that much to the workshop and come fill up time we had more than we needed. Again not the kind of figures you are talking about but it still makes me ignore the book and change oil as per the dipstick

Ok, thanks but I found out that the fuel pump front seal is leaking diesel and causing the oil level to rise.

Ok, thanks but I found out that the fuel pump front seal is leaking diesel and causing the oil level to rise.

That would be a better diagnoses....the can't make oil out of thin air..

And I also use the dipstick for oil filling ..never an amount

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you found the cause of the "increasing oil" and it's not a moment too soon - get the engine nice and hot and it could suffer from "diesel runaway" where the blow-by feeds the combustion process. It's very dangerous for the motor.

Oil in the hose from the rocker cover onwards is to be expected. That hose is called the "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" (PCV) hose. Combustion gases that seep past the piston rings fill the crankcase and have to go somewhere. Superheated oil becomes a vapour and also exits the crankcase via that hose, and that's what you're seeing. It's designed to do that, but fitting a catch can will help remove a large proportion of it and keep the rest of the intake a fair bit cleaner.

Latest posts

Back