D40 Intercooler kit - DIY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunus88

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Decided this week that now the Nav is running as it should it has motivated me to do something exciting with it.

I work in sales in the mining industry in the Goldfields, WA. I have access to some of the best steel prices in the country so made sense to do this DIY. So far I have spent $150 and have a massive box full of polished S/S 2 1/2" and 3" elbows. Love the perks of my job.

Have decided to make a custom intercooler/intake kit for the D40.

What I have chosen to go with:

Am using 304 grade S/S for all the piping and the intake. Will be keeping this system as stock looking as possible. Will be following the exact same routes the factory piping takes. Could have all this powder coated black for the 100% factory look but I honestly love the look of polished S/S so will be keeping it like that.

Welds will not be done by myself as I want them to be perfect. One of the guys who is a coded welder at work will be doing all the welds by TIG for the super clean look.

For the intercooler core itself I will be going a generic 450x300x76mm core with 2 1/2" outlets. There is no need to blow loads of cash on this as what's good enough for my mates 1000hp maloo is good enough for my <200hp nav :)

For the hose tails I will be going with brass at this stage until I go and suss out a few of the hydraulic suppliers in town and see if there is a better alternative...IE a weld on h/tail etc. It's been a while since I've had to supply them so unsure of what's available.

I have a few more things to chase up before I can get underway on this.

- Intercooler core - 450x300x76mm
- Silicone joiners/reducer - Ordering now
- Clamps - Ordering now
- Fittings for misc. hoses
- 1m of 2 1/2" S/S 304 thin walled pipe
- 1m of 3" S/S 304 thin walled pipe

Now, I will have excess material for sure. Who knows, maybe enough to make another kit. But will add pics/details as progress is made. Should have everything done by next Friday 25/10/2013.

Im doing a water to air setup early next year so I will be watching your build thread with keen interest

Hey Shaun your mate has 1000hp in his maloo and you 200 in your nav as well as wanting to work where you do i want the same mechanic he must be god.

Yeah its twin turboed. Runs on E85. Spent some serious coin on it! Too much IMO.

My D40 does not have 200hp.... I typed <200hp. Meaning less than.

Just ordered some more items for the FMIC

Got it done in Perth. All I know is a place NOR as he's from up that way. Took ages to get done. Works away will try get a hold of him if you like and let you know the shop? Remember him saying they had heaps of killer cars in there though. I don't follow V8's or take much of an interest in them so I never asked much about it haha.

Yeah cost him more than that hahaha. His first round of mods like custom cam, some head work, tune, otr, big exhaust etc. cost him like 10K+. It made something like 500rwhp in NA form which made it pretty quick, nothing amazing though...It just made a ton of noise and rocked side to side haha.

500rwhp NA in a 6.2 is a fair effort.. That size cam would make it rock and roll for sure :lol:

Love to hear more info on it.. Dwarfs my Supercharged 600hp thats for sure!

On this is for sure, after driving the Navara for a few days, hopping back into the VE makes it feel like a supercar :)

Think I need to look at a catch can while I'm at it :)

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 206
Few pics as promised. Will be making this in sections as we get some free time. Unfortunately, cant do it all at once. Urgent job came in today so that halted that idea... Still needs pickling but looks good so far.

Will be doing the intercooler > motor section at the end when we mount the intercooler. Will then be finishing off the feed pipe to the intercooler once mounted.

Intercooler will arrive next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 152
Completed and installed first hard pipe and intake utilising factory air box. Made a pretty noticeable difference. No more low rpm lag and it really pulls through the midrange now with little to no hesitation. Didn't think it would make such a substantial difference!

Latest posts

Back