D22 custom tune

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseretis01

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm from Melbourne and looking at getting my d22 remapped.Any recommendations? I've seen ultimate diesel tuning advertised on Facebook. Any reviews on this company?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys
I'm from Melbourne and looking at getting my d22 remapped.Any recommendations? I've seen ultimate diesel tuning advertised on Facebook. Any reviews on this company?
Thanks in advance

Scanfix will remap with a Quantum tune for $600.00.

Try the horsepower factory also at Dandy,Turbo tune Dandy and diesel performance tuning have no experience with any of these just came up with quick google there is another mob on Hammond rd dandy,Mtq Engine Systems

Try the horsepower factory also at Dandy,Turbo tune Dandy and diesel performance tuning have no experience with any of these just came up with quick google there is another mob on Hammond rd dandy,Mtq Engine Systems

Thanks Hugh yes I did Google search and spoke with these places. I am hoping to get recommendations through experience not just a search

Thanks Hugh yes I did Google search and spoke with these places. I am hoping to get recommendations through experience not just a search

What modifications have you done do warrant needing a custom tune?

Custom tunes are a bit of a misnomer really, I spoke with one bloke in Melbourne charging around $1000.00 (or $1200.00 with Dyno time) and he admitted that the Dyno time makes almost no difference.

Many companies will flash a base map (usually outsourced or provided by their hardware/software contract) and make minor adjustments to the MAF tables and call that a custom tune.

There is little need to reinvent the wheel when companies (abroad) have done the hard work and refined their maps thousands of times to be readily available at a low cost - look up Quantum Tuning or Sting ECU Remapping.

HPF might be truly custom tuning, but that said they could be acquiring base maps from their hard- or soft- ware provider - I've never asked them.

When I had my ECU remapped, I actually did not want a custom tune as I trusted the R&D of the Quantum team over a diesel mechanic I don't know tinkering with the tables in the ROM.

Unless you have a seriously modified vehicle (minor intake/exhaust do not count) then my recommendation is to get a reputable base map and always put the best quality diesel in your rig - Do that and you could be driving in the centre of Aus or at the poles and the ECU compensation/dynamics will take care of the rest.

To qualify my comments, I've been through this exercise with my D40 and previous vehicle's I could tune myself using open source resources. I've bought maps online, have been through the custom tuning process remotely and observed that the iterations made over the base maps are minor.

Wow frqnt very insightful.
Thank you.
I tow 2T per day as you know d22 just struggle especially with the hills and extra weight of course. I though Custom tune is better because they tune your car specifically In stead of off the shelf chip.
I guess I'll have to do but more research
Thanks

2 tonne every day is certainly a drag, most of the tuners should be able to give you dyno results of previous work. As far as I know most reflashes give similar results to a good chip, it's a good idea to do the exhaust too they both complement each other.

Wow frqnt very insightful.
Thank you.
I tow 2T per day as you know d22 just struggle especially with the hills and extra weight of course. I though Custom tune is better because they tune your car specifically In stead of off the shelf chip.
I guess I'll have to do but more research
Thanks

You will benefit from having your ROM re-flashed, there is huge torque gains to be made in these engines.

By re-flashing/remapping/re-writing your ROM, far more of the tables that control the engine dynamics can be modified than a plug-and-play chip can alone.

It is dangerous to just increase boost without adjusting timing, injector duty cylce etc - which is where the chip's fall short.

In a very primitive sense, a chip is like adding more fuel to a fire - the fire actually needs oxygen in the correct quantities to burn efficiently. And those tables controlling the quantities need to be flexible to accommodate change in conditions beyond what we can control - like the denser air on a cold morning.

A custom tune suggests that they take the stock tune and make adjustments until they achieve max power, best economy or whatever you ask for. Nobody really does that as companies have developed base maps which afford increased performance/increased economy/somewhere-in-between.

The custom aspect of these tunes is making slight adjustments to those (already improved) basemaps - which are negligible and not worth the money for a stock vehicle.

So - IMO - you should get your rig remapped with a performance tune from Jason at Scan fix. Spend the saved money on a silicone intake pipe and intercooler hot pipe and you'll still record a saving over HPF or similar offerings.

If any of that is unclear, I can try explain better.

it's a good idea to do the exhaust too they both complement each other.

Also note, there is no such thing as a performance increase without compromise so running a performance tune - which would be nearer the vehicles limit - and towing 2T will have ramifications to exhaust temp's (EGT's).

Given you are towing, I also recommend an exhaust upgrade. Or at least a downpipe upgrade.

2 tonne every day is certainly a drag, most of the tuners should be able to give you dyno results of previous work. As far as I know most reflashes give similar results to a good chip, it's a good idea to do the exhaust too they both complement each other.

Thanks for your response happy John
I'm actually looking at 3 inch turbo back exhaust system with hi flow cat. Should I get hi flow muffler or no muffler? Again people telling me difference things. Is after market ok or stick to your reputable brands? Any recommendations for exhaust places?
Thanks

Get a muffler, it will make the same power regardless. Everyone has a different opinion about exhausts and sizes, the main restriction is the dump pipe. Beaudesert is what I fitted the price was not a concern but the tuner told me he got the best results from them.

Thanks for your response happy John
I'm actually looking at 3 inch turbo back exhaust system with hi flow cat. Should I get hi flow muffler or no muffler? Again people telling me difference things. Is after market ok or stick to your reputable brands? Any recommendations for exhaust places?
Thanks

Straight through muffler actually flow better than plain pipe (according to magnaflow at least) not that you'd notice it. If you want it louder dont get the muffler.
The cat is more of a restriction, but the hi-flo ones are pretty good. They also add a bit of quiet compared to no cat.
DEA exhausts are pretty good. Afew people on here, myself included have them and are happy with them. about $600 delivered depending what you get.

Latest posts

Back