ZD30 Idler Pully/Fan Belt how to.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yakka

Reaction score
A how to for idler pully replacement, you can use part of these directions to replace the fan belt also.

First remove the fan shroud. To do so, climb under and remove the lower arch by unclipping and then lift out the upper section.

Attachments

• P1070414.jpg
    P1070414.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 731
Next remove radiator hoses and drain system (make sure its all cooled down first!!) Then remove radiator by undoing the top brackets and lifting out.

Attachments

• remove hoses.JPG
    remove hoses.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 703
Next remove the 4 bolts securing the fan in place and remove fan (make note of which bolts go where during this entire process)

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 816
Next identify the tensioner and the nut which allows the tension on the belt to be released, remove belt by fitting a socket to this nut and releasing the spring tension, taking care to note or take photo of the way the belt is routed.

Attachments

• tensioner nut.JPG
    tensioner nut.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,239
  • tensioner nut1.JPG
    tensioner nut1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,471
Now remove the tensioner assembly and undo the pulley using a torx driver, replace with new pulley.

Attachments

• tensioner removed.JPG
    tensioner removed.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,502
  • tensioner assembly.JPG
    tensioner assembly.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,490
Refit the tensioner assembly and follow the previous steps in reverse installing new belt and appying locktite/permatex or similar to all bolts as they are refitted. Fill with new coolant, run engine with radiatior cap off to purge air from system and top up.

These are the part numbers as supplied by Repco.

Hope this helps anyone with the process. I did this job following a high pitch noise that developed at a certain rev range which was identified as the bearing in the pulley. Its a pretty easy job, don't be afraid to have a crack at it.

Attachments

• pulley part No.JPG
    pulley part No.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 983
  • belt part No.JPG
    belt part No.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • new installed.JPG
    new installed.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,482
Last edited:
Hi Yakka

Good write up
How much did the parts from Repco cost? They should have been cheaper than Nissan.I my have to change my idler pully soon as my one is making a bit of a noise.

Shane :cheers!:

Thanks for posting and putting up pics. Really usefull, I have been carrying spare fan belts, thinking that should I break one, I would have to figure out how to fix it... at least I know where to start!

Hi Yakka

Good write up
How much did the parts from Repco cost? They should have been cheaper than Nissan.I my have to change my idler pully soon as my one is making a bit of a noise.

Shane :cheers!:

Off the top of my head, about $60 for both... would have to look back through some receipts to be sure but it was bugger all really. I do recall buying coolant and brake pads etc etc at the same time and only spent a couple 'a hundred.

good write up there. i was able to replaced mine without removing the shroud though but then again i've small hands.. :rock:

so you can do this without removing the radiator and shroud my raditor and pipes have been flushed recently and would be pointless to take em off

Yes, you probably could do it without removing the radiator/shroud, but it'd be tight and I like to keep the skin on my knuckles where possible!!

turns out this wasn't the noise but yer took the radiator shroud off but not the radiator or the fan

good write up ,i am thinking of doing a belt change and was just wondering after how many km`s should they be done .

Not too sure on km's, would have to check the service manual, but if its showing signs of cracking or hardening/perishing I'd be doing it (the under side is where you'll see it best).

When you do, have a feel of the idler pulley and if there's any play in the bearing do it aswell. In fact I'd be doing both for the sake of another few bucks.

yeah I think the belt is ok so far but I`m nearly at 150 k and was thinking I would put on a new one and keep the old one for a spare .This way I could prevent getting caught out when least expected.Also great idea about the idler pulley.

yeah I think the belt is ok so far but I`m nearly at 150 k and was thinking I would put on a new one and keep the old one for a spare .This way I could prevent getting caught out when least expected.Also great idea about the idler pulley.

Fair enough, good idea to have a spare. My idler failed at just under 100k so you've not had a bad run.

great info, thanks mate, ive managed to wring out 165k out of mine, starting to get a touch noisy tho, this will be helpful.

Latest posts

Back