Unkn0wn's D21 Dual Cab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unkn0wn

Reaction score
Hi Guys n Girls,

I have been lerking around these forums for the past few months and only just realized I never made an introductory thread fro my Nav. Anyway after the recent changes, I figure it might be time to introduce you all to my ride.

I purchased my Navara about 3 months ago, with the long term intention of putting a sr20det Silvia motor into it.

It was a pretty stock Td27, 4wd dual cab d21 with a big canopy thing on the back. Still had the standard 16inch rims and 205r16 tires.

This is how it was when i got it

DSCF0276.jpg

Soon after i removed the canopy and fitted a toolbox

100_0038.jpg

the next thing I did was buy an ice box and we made a removable strap mounting system. Also a reinforced bracket and front tow hook was installed.

IMG_1992.jpg

more recently 2inch body lift was fitted a set of secondhand 16*8 rims with 31' tires.

DSCF0744.jpg

Last edited:
DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

That's pretty much how she is now. I will be fitting flares shortly, as the rims have a positive offset and the tires sit outside the guards.

I have a set of Gu rims, these are 16*8 with a 0 offset and suit the Navara much better. These will be getting power coated and new 32' tires placed on them in the coming months.

Ill keep this updated with pictures each time something in the car changes, but if all goes to plan it should be powered by a new motor before the end of the year.

Christian.

Last edited:
Geez I bet you were glad when you put the ice box in, the lean the tool box gave you when it was the only thing in the tub was savage.

Few Minor updates...

Fitted a dual cigerate socket with 2 usb adaptor under the Cd player. Ill wait till i get and mount a cb with it before posting photo.

Purchaed a set (5) series 2 Gu patrol rims with 265/75/16 tyres, so now i have those pluss my Gu series one rim with same size tyre. 4 on car and two spare.

DSCF0893.jpg

Went for a 4wd trip with some mates today (verry dry) :

DSCF0912.jpg

DSCF0921.jpg

best way to clean under the car, more carwash places need these (closer to me anyway) :

DSCF0944.jpg

Reasonably sure I broke something 4wding as the front right makes a godawfull noise while in 4wd and starts to vibrate thro the car above 20km/hr however its fine in 2wd.

While looking around the area noticed all the bush's need replacing and looks like the tortion bars need tighting as we are almost riding on the bottom bumpstop.

Christian

Hey man, I got your PM

Sounds exactly like a broken CV. Bit of a bitch to replace them.

If it's not far off the bottom bumpstop then it's close to max ride height. I'll do a write-up in the D21 bible at some point on setting ride height to factory.

Hey man, I got your PM

Sounds exactly like a broken CV. Bit of a bitch to replace them.

If it's not far off the bottom bumpstop then it's close to max ride height. I'll do a write-up in the D21 bible at some point on setting ride height to factory.

hmmm, wonder if i should get a macanic to replace or DIY. is there a writeup on replacing CV's around?

If its close to the bottom bumpstop its low. when its close to the top bumpstop its high. when we fitted new suspention to my mates d22 the instructions said to wind it up untill it was aproximatly 2cm from the top bumpstop.

Hey mate where is tht car wash? Nice photos looks like the mundarin powerlines

Yeah mate it was at the lines. the car wash was is near maddington bunnings. Aprox here : MAPLINK

Had to look at a photo to catch up there - too cold outside - my bad, you're right, close to bottom bumpstop is low. Putting a guide up soon.

Hey Christian, have a look at what part of the CV is broken, you might have the right side on the diff I gave you.
Considering how long it took us to get the diff out, you should be alright to change it yourself. I'll give you a hand if you do.

Drew

Hey Christian, have a look at what part of the CV is broken, you might have the right side on the diff I gave you.
Considering how long it took us to get the diff out, you should be alright to change it yourself. I'll give you a hand if you do.

Drew

Hey,

I thought the part that broke was from the diff to the wheel hub's ?

I found this on eBay and thought it would be easier to replace entire assembly instead of just the joint.

FRONT CV JOINT SHAFT FOR NISSAN NARAVA D21 1986-04/92 (eBay item 370494408114 end time 30-Mar-11 10:49:41 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

While im under there im going to put the welded diff in, hopefully help me go over things slower and not break CVs by using to much right foot.

Christian

Yeah sorry mate, was thinking we took the whole lot off, not just from the joint.

Good idea about the welded diff cos I think mine isnt doing so well!!

Just spent most of the day playing with the Nav.

Since last 4wd adventure, had an intermitant clunk coming from the rear diff. Drained the oil, came out like off-yogart. Took of the rear diff cover, found some white foamy crap that my mate said was possibly due to water in the oil. Cleaned it out, found no damage, put together with new oil and its not making the clunking noise anymore.

Checked out what i thought was my front CV issue. Looks like my front diff is busted, not the CV. I assume some teeth are missing somewhere. In 4wd at certain times none of the front wheels will spin. If you give it a push, hear a clunk and they start spinning. Sometimes stop, sometimes keep going. but they make a hell of a noise.

I have a spare front diff (thanks to drew) that we welded up. Looks like this has to go in verry soon.

Jacked up the tortion bars as she was almost riding on the bumpstops before. Is so much more comfortable to drive around in. I think before it was bouncing of the bumpstops instead of having corect suspention travel, now it seems good.

So im happy with it, just need to change over a diff!
Christian...

Hey thanks drew, I came home today, had a can of V and got to work on the Nav.

I wanted to remove the diff a different way to how we did it, but turns out there was suspention components in the way, so it came out excatly the same way we did your spare one (lifting engine, crowbar, lots of yelling and fustration etc).

I did make a video of the dead diff, so everyone can see. Once again ill post up some pics when i take the cover off and view the damage.

video is here : YouTube - unkn0wn - D21 Td27 Busted diff P1

Christian

Yeah I got your email this morning, I dont think there is any other way of doing it!

Safe to say that diff is cactus!

Latest posts

Back