fuel/water seperator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
hey fellas, just been reading a topic on the web about water in diesel fuel and what it does to the engines...escpecially the new commonrail engines running 60,000psi in fuel pumps and common rail... plus issues with using low sulphur diesel is just another topic. so was thinking bout installing a fuel water seperator in the nav to eliminate the damage and save me $10000 in repairs to the navara.

any ideas on brands that are best suited for 4wds??

cheers
Rusty

:cheers!:

stock one is only so-so.
overseas models can come out with a factory fitted separator before the main filter.

the problem i see with the single setup is you have high flow through the filter (makes it less effective) its one shot and filters do not catch everything the first time through. so small bits of water can get get through in normal usage.
most of the engines will pump the entire tank of fuel through the injection pump every 5 minutes or so. with the amount of stirring that it causes that will be water going through as well. water gets caught easly if its a bubble of water. if its stirred up and separated through a tank of gas its easier for that water to get through the filter. thats where fuel additives can work well in helping all that small bits of water join up into one lat of water which is easily caught by the filter.
have a look at marine fuel filter setups.

ideally you want fuel to be pumped through a basic filter and returned to tank. that way it gets multipliable passes through the filter before going to injection pump.

CAV's can be good but they can be a bit small in flow.

jsut to bump an old topic ive decided on a Stanadyne Fuel Manager 100 Series with glass bowl on bottom and 150micron pre filter... im thinking bout running it inline with the standard filter cause its only 30micron filter and i think the genuine is 10 micron..

has anyone got ay pictures of there fit and could u please post them up...

will post mine up once its done and tested

Thanks
RustyNav09

fuel seperator

Repco had fuel seperators on special last month I think under $200.00 .We have 10 Holden Colarado's at work and had to replace injectors on 2 of them so far both approx 60000km on clock .No warranty as Holden said contaminated fuel but we use Caltex fuel on fuel card .Comprehensive insurance paid but not the point.

We had similar thing to one of out work colorados but it was petrol not diesel. The fuel manager kit is including some fittings and bout 750mm of hose, glass bowl and easy removal filters and bowl empty is easy with swivel on bottom. Plus filter is 30 icon with a 150micron prefilter

full kit was $190 from terrain tamer in archerfield.

where is best place to install before factory filter,.after factory filter or instead of factory filter?

I would install after factory unit as it is not as fine a filter so let it catch larger particals then aftermarket unit will last longer

picked up my Terrain Tamer Fuel Manager 100 Series Fuel.water seperator today. its a Stanadyne Filter and Housing 20micron Filter and houses and fittings in box. Again 100 Series made by Stanadyne. Im going to install before factory filter that way its only filtering smaller stuff on the genuine flter which will lead to longer life of filters. Also im sure the genuine filter is 10micron filter so theres no point filter to 10 micron then it going through a 30 micron filter which will do nothing.

Hoping to have it in this wknd or late next week as i have to work this wknd but i dont know how long the days will be

Rusty

picked up my Terrain Tamer Fuel Manager 100 Series Fuel.water seperator today. its a Stanadyne Filter and Housing 20micron Filter and houses and fittings in box. Again 100 Series made by Stanadyne. Im going to install before factory filter that way its only filtering smaller stuff on the genuine flter which will lead to longer life of filters. Also im sure the genuine filter is 10micron filter so theres no point filter to 10 micron then it going through a 30 micron filter which will do nothing.

Hoping to have it in this wknd or late next week as i have to work this wknd but i dont know how long the days will be

Rusty

Very keen to see the install, may do the same with mine.

Regards
Greg

HI all, to all my common rail buddies with yd25 d22s. i have just installed my Stanadyne 100 Series Fuel/Water Seperator with glass bowl. I got this unit from Terrain Tamer at Archerfield and cost me $190 including bowl, filter, fuel hose, a couple brass straight fittings and the brass blank fittings.

For my install i had to buy 2 more brass fittings at 90degree bends and 1metre of 40x40x3 Aluminium angle (if u have some left over from a job u only need 170mm of it). As stated before you only need 170mm of the 40x40x3 angle but i could onnly get 1metre length from bunnings. Also i got 6mmx30mm bolts with double washers and nylocs. You can go up to 10mm bolts if you want the holes are big enough.

Here are some pictures of ths Completed Install. I will have some more pictures to add of the install but they are on my brothers camera

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

Please note you do have to remove air box to install this as its uncomfortable to install with box in the road.

You will need to keep pushing the fuel primer until it goes hard again. This takes a lil while my arm was dead after it.

There have been some issues with other cars fuel pumps not being able to handle 2 x Fuel Filters but i have no problems with mine. The Stanadyne filter is a 30micron filter and the genuine is a 10-15micron so its not under pressure and doesnt need a lift pump.

Hope this gives you some ideas. i will get the rest of the pictures up asap

Cheers
Rusty

Last edited:
also i forgot to mention that a have cut 20mm off one of the 40mm sides of the angle and used it as a long brace across back of filter housing to give it some more strength.

the section circled red is the 20mm offcut form one fo the 40mm sides

IMAG0097-1.jpg

just another shot form the top

IMAG0099.jpg

Last edited:
just a picture of the bracket laid out on the deck. few small illustrations that might help people out if they end up doing there own

100_1815-1.jpg

Last edited:
Filter has be installed now for 1.5weeks. have had no problems with pressure and no air getting into lines. am very pleased with install and would recommend it for cheap insurance against bad fuel

I know I'm dragging up an old thread here, but just wondering if anyone has put a CAV filter on a 2.5 common rail D40. I have bought one, but since read they are not recommended for common rail engines.

I know I'm dragging up an old thread here, but just wondering if anyone has put a CAV filter on a 2.5 common rail D40. I have bought one, but since read they are not recommended for common rail engines.
flow rate is what you have to watch with any diesel. common rail in itself makes no difference.
flow rate will change a huge amount due to what filter you put in it.

great info and pics Rusty. can i buy one of these units on line or buy phone ?
can you list all needed parts so i can mention these to the guys at Terrain Tammers so all is there as they will have to post this . cheers.

great info and pics Rusty. can i buy one of these units on line or buy phone ?
can you list all needed parts so i can mention these to the guys at Terrain Tammers so all is there as they will have to post this . cheers.
I've got one of them on my d22 too. I used the 32 micron element for a pre filter. You can buy them online, they are around $100 from memory for just the filter and a kit can be a bit more but it depends how much you want to source yourself. You need 10mm x 1/4npt barbed fittings x 2 and 1/4npt plugs x 2 for the filter head. The head has arrows marked for direction of flow. I did see a kit available for the d22 which had a bracket that mounted where the air pre filter was on the zd30 models, obviously this won't be any good for the yd25s with the dual batteries. It isn't a lot of work making a bracket.

A word of warning though, if you are going to mount it to the factory fuel filter bracket, I would recommend reinforcing it. Rustys did crack a bit after a while on rougher roads.

Here's a picture of mine
b1889bc83b2f9d011e50d37c96c18cce.jpg

32dcbaabeeea55b377df7976f466ef76.jpg

thanks Bods, iwill have to buy 2 as my son also needs this unit for his engine safety . i thought 3mm was abit on the thin side when Rusty mentioned his aluminium angle size used, i do have a length of 8mm flat aluminium lying around that should do the trick well. cheers.

Latest posts

Back