fuel/water seperator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
water drain /filter with a 30 micron filter fitted ? my main stock navara fuel filter is a genuine brand, also i noticed the white and red coloured filters are not genuine as opposed to the white and blue ones which are genuine 100 series type. so lets say the factory fuel filter is a 10 micron and fitting the new water trap / filter unit as in pics is a 30 micron, will all be safe with the fuel pump flow / restriction with this micron size??

Last edited:
Yeah mate. Looking at the spec sheet, the stanadyne / fuel manager fm100 flows 80us gal/hr (dunno what that is in metric, but I recall around 100lt/hr) so won't cause any restriction to the pump. Unlike the cav type that will cause a massive restriction. Also, from the specs I can find, the d22 yd25 runs either a 2 or 5 micron stock fuel filter, so 30 micron as a pre filter is good as any finer than this basically renders the stock filter useless. The elements in these filters are chemically treated to remove water, I have also noticed a fair bit of sediment in the glass bowl on the bottom of mine from the swarf in the long range tank that I couldn't get out before fitting it. I have the white/red filter which came in a stanadyne box, so I assume it is genuine haha

Yeah mate. Looking at the spec sheet, the stanadyne / fuel manager fm100 flows 80us gal/hr (dunno what that is in metric, but I recall around 100lt/hr) so won't cause any restriction to the pump.
has anyone actually tested how much the pump flows?
i think the common rails are somewhat better than the VE/VP style pumps and not effected so much by the extra restriction. but even still, got to be a little carefull your not adding to much restriction.

some one tested vp44 pump by plumbing the outlet into a container and see how long it to to fill at a certain rpm.
or you could fit a vac gauge to the fuel line.

on ebay Deisel systems australia have these single fuel manager 100 series units for $118, just need to buy fuel hose and fuel line fittings. they are 30 micron size. is this the same as Stanadyne you mentioned Bods ???

has anyone actually tested how much the pump flows?
i think the common rails are somewhat better than the VE/VP style pumps and not effected so much by the extra restriction. but even still, got to be a little carefull your not adding to much restriction.

some one tested vp44 pump by plumbing the outlet into a container and see how long it to to fill at a certain rpm.
or you could fit a vac gauge to the fuel line.
I thought someone had, I can't recall what the flow rate was though... I will have a look and see what I can round up. They do fit these to most of the new common rail diesels and I haven't heard of any problems.

I thought someone had, I can't recall what the flow rate was though... I will have a look and see what I can round up. They do fit these to most of the new common rail diesels and I haven't heard of any problems.
common rails are better but not fool proof.
be real careful of what filters you fit. those units are 80gph max ie with no filter.
i've seen some units drop right down to 20gph when they fit a low mic filter.

unfortunately its not always easy to find manufactures flow rates for the actual filters.

common rails are better but not fool proof.
be real careful of what filters you fit. those units are 80gph max ie with no filter.
i've seen some units drop right down to 20gph when they fit a low mic filter.

unfortunately its not always easy to find manufactures flow rates for the actual filters.
So it turns out 80gph is 300lt/hr haha

Hopefully this is readable
a4129b4af921254da13f6f43f3ebb805.jpg

So it turns out 80gph is 300lt/hr haha
i don't get the joke, not this late at night.

i know with zd30 fitting 72gph lift pumps (probably 60gph in actual use) and that can't keep up with what the IP pumps in the high rpm's.
someone did test the flow rate but i can't recall what it was.

i would expect common rail to be similar in flow. fortunately common rail is not as touchy with inlet pressure as ve/vp pumps are.

the catch is what is the filters actually flow in use.

Not really a joke, just that my guess on the conversion of gph to lph was nowhere near...

I will have a look through the rest of the data sheet and see if I can find any flow rate with filter...

No, but your standard one does. Water watch will alarm you if there's any present.
Filters don't, but do fill up how do you know it's full?

These ones have a glass bowl on the bottom so you can see the water. There is also a water sensor that you can fit to them. If you knew how well the standard filter "separates" water, you would see why people fit these ones. In other words, it doesn't do a very good job at all

as Bods has mentiond, these FM-100 units don,t just trap water that is life saving to the common rail deisel engine but it will also trap other particals up to 30 microns in size so by placing this unit inline before the main original fuel filter more filtration occurs and what gets through the first 30 micron won;t get through the standard 5 to 10 micron filter. fuel injectors and fuel pumps have a longer life with this fitted and for the cost on the fm-100 why not .
previous pics show how easy these are to install.

These ones have a glass bowl on the bottom so you can see the water. There is also a water sensor that you can fit to them. If you knew how well the standard filter "separates" water, you would see why people fit these ones. In other words, it doesn't do a very good job at all

i don't think its a case of the factory unit not doing a good job, its usually that the amount of water is more than what it can handle.
they pump so much fuel through the water trap fills up very quickly due to its size. once its filled the suction overcomes it and sucks water through with the fuel.

a pre filter helps a lot by adding a lot more volume. but still if you get 10 liters of water in your fuel tank, nothing is going to stop it. you just have to be quick to shut the engine down before it sucks water through.
this is where you want the water sensor on the pre filter. if that goes off you have a small amount of time to pull off the road.

Latest posts

Back