Fuel return pressure switch/sensor?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharknado

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I moved to Cairns last year and 4WD is just what we do up here so I bought me a used 2012 D22 with the YD25 and it's been a great ute for the past 8 months. However when I was leaving work yesterday everything went to shit.

First, it wouldn't start, it would crank but not fire. Priming the fuel filter could get it to idle as long as you kept pumping it and then would sputter out if you stopped. So being fairly new and under warranty, I had it towed to the dealership where I bought it.

So the mechanic called and told me the fuel return pressure switch (or sensor?) had shit itself because my engine had been chipped. To repair it, the whole fuel rail needed to be replaced and of course wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'm new to diesels so really have no idea what any of this means so hoping someone could help me out!

1. Does this even make sense??? (I'm not really convinced)

2. Since I bought it with the chip already installed and was never told about it, is there a way to go after the dealership to cover the repair bills?

Cheers in advance

-Brian

If it is actually chipped and they sold it to you without telling you then they have to cover it... If it works fine when you pump the primer try changing the fuel filter first. Or even removing and refitting it as it doesn't take much for the seal to leak and let air in, which will cause the problems you are having.....

Fuel rail would be the last thing I would suspect. The problem is they just plug the computer in and it supposedly tells them what's wrong, but there could be another problem that it causing that fault......

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I had it towed straight to Nissan thinking it was going to be a warranty job, so never had a chance to check the filter, I would like to think they'd be smart enough to try that first but I'm quickly losing faith being that it's been in there for a week and they still don't know what's wrong with it. The fuel rail tested good so their next step is ripping the high pressure fuel pump out and sending it away for testing.

It just seems really strange, is there really no way to test the pump without taking it out? Would a chip really cause the pump to shit itself?

Does it actually have a chip? I'd be looking right into that first in case they are trying to be dodgy...

Someone pointed it out to me when I first got it saying it looked like a chip but I never made anything of it. I asked the guy at the dealership to send me pictures but they haven't done that either. I definitely think something dodgy is going on, it seems like they're tunnel visioned on finding something chip related so they can get out of warranty but aren't really following any logical troubleshooting process.

Someone had mentioned to me (not sure if true) that the real reason for removing the high pressure pump is to check and see if low quality fuel has been going trough it (farm diesel maybe?)

G'day everyone,

I moved to Cairns last year and 4WD is just what we do up here so I bought me a used 2012 D22 with the YD25 and it's been a great ute for the past 8 months. However when I was leaving work yesterday everything went to shit.

First, it wouldn't start, it would crank but not fire. Priming the fuel filter could get it to idle as long as you kept pumping it and then would sputter out if you stopped. So being fairly new and under warranty, I had it towed to the dealership where I bought it.

So the mechanic called and told me the fuel return pressure switch (or sensor?) had shit itself because my engine had been chipped. To repair it, the whole fuel rail needed to be replaced and of course wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'm new to diesels so really have no idea what any of this means so hoping someone could help me out!

1. Does this even make sense??? (I'm not really convinced)

2. Since I bought it with the chip already installed and was never told about it, is there a way to go after the dealership to cover the repair bills?

Cheers in advance

-Brian

If your cars been modified, with a chip then the dealerships within its right to refuse a warranty claim.
Unless they sold the car to you, then - go hunting! as the cars less than 10 yrs old they are meant to provide a warenty and if they sold it to you with a chip, well...thats there fault.

would have been wise to remove it before you sent it to them, but now they know about it you cant go backwards.

i would ask them what kind of chip it has, or ask the previous owner then Followup witht he chip company about faults.

So I think the problem is that I got a used car warranty (3 or 6 month) from the dealership when I bought it, but it's now expired. However it is still covered by the new car warranty provided by Nissan which is what I'm trying to get the warranty work done under. So the used car guys are saying that their used car on is expired, and the nissan guys are saying it's modified and I'm stuck in the middle with no ute for 2 weeks now and a possible $1500+++ bill. I've asked the service guys for info and pictures of the chip and they've given me nothing. I'm just really curious as to how much damage can a chip really do? They told me the one I have installed works by connecting to the return fuel pressure valve, it controls the valve to increase rail pressure by not allowing as much fuel to return to the tank. That's about all I've got from them so far.

Latest posts

Back