03 ZD30 Engine stops whilst driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave. Maybe he was suggesting that as its probably quicker and easier to replace the whole motor with a recon rather than stripping head down ?

did they do a gas test on the coolant?
did they pressure test the cooling system?
did they do a compression test?

i would do all three before doing anything else. IF its a cracked head you can be sure its also cracked pistons.

also if its blows white smoke on start up, have a smell of it. coolant smells different to unburnt fuel/oil.

Tweake - No gas test of coolant that he talked to me about but yes to a pressure test of cooling system which lost some pressure when motor started but they could not find any obvious leaks ..... and then yes to a compression test which he called a "head" test which he said initially tested Ok but when they then pressured up the cooling system it caused an obvious profusion of the white smoke from the exhaust, leading him to believe a cracked head or head gasket but then after further talking with certain suppliers about getting a new head gasket was informed that its more common for the zd30 motor to also crack the head.

With respect to the white smoke it was definitely lighter smell - slightly sweeter than diesel - more kerosene like and it was light and evaporated rather than being heavy like an oily smoke and drifting for while

So if cracked head and then probably also cracked pistons as well - are you saying cheaper / better to chase a full recon motor rather than fixing what I have ?

Last edited:
sounds like its time to pull the head off.
its very rare for a diesel to blow a head gasket. generally they crack the head before blowing gaskets. the exception is corrosion.

i would pull the head, see what the problem is then decide what to do.

Ditto. Removing the head will let you see any damage - if you've been pumping fluid out the crack for a while it's going to be obvious. Examine the pistons. If they LOOK ok they might be - but they ought to be x-rayed to be certain (yes, that means pulling the block).

If you do strip this engine down and rebuild it, you will know its condition. A reco motor ought to be in good condition. A second-hand (eg from a wreck) is an unknown quantity and isn't something I'd spend a lot of coin on.

Thanks Rumpig. It might be a little late time wise but it could be an option and it cant hurt to ask for the right price even if a day or two late. I have another mechanic doing a quote tomorrow so might be better placed to chase options after that. thanks heaps.

I talked with Nissan and they tell me the zd30 engine part no. they have available is 1010 BC628 - and they indicated that the BC628 stands for a Nissan Patrol part.

Can anyone here tell me if this would be interchangeable into the Navara. The guy I spoke to didnt know and his boss was away until tomorrow.
thanks

The Patrol version runs a different turbo and uses a Mass Airflow sensor instead of the Navaras Boost sensor, and has 2 oil pressure senders where the Navara has 1. I Don't know of anyone swapping engines between a Patrol and a Navara but if you use your old ancillaries i don't see why it couldn't be done.
The Patrol came out with the Direct injection but later changed to Common Rail which wouldn't be compatible with the Navara ECU.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys. I think I will be going with a new head and a rebuild of other bits damaged. The mechanic is suggesting pulling the whole motor out as easier to work on if out of the car and if doing that then he then suggests we look at replacing the water pump, the clutch, the injector pump especially if intending to keep the car for a while to regain some of the $$ losses.

I havent heard of any of these other bits being a consistent problem on a car with only 140,000 km on it but he's right if one of them went in the next 12 months, I would be spewing . Of course its all relative to coin and like most of us I havent got a money tree in the back yard, so any thoughts ?

No Dave , No chip. I was thinking of it and after cruising the forum was also thinking about a suspension upgrade as its starting to get a bit sloppy in the corners when wet (tyres still good) however I wont be able to afford any of that now.

OK the news just keeps going from bad to worse. With the head pulled off the mechanic identifies that the diesel injector pump has delaminated wiring (may be the cause if initial stopping problems) and it needs to be rebuilt - apparently at a cost of at least $3,000. I'm beginning to think that I should just driven it off the Cairns wharf and claimed insurance job!
This is going to cost a packet (probably $6-7k at least) for a motor always fully serviced at the recommended intervals... ..... not liking Nissans much right now .

Last edited:
That's horrible news dude. 1 positive is that your estimate of price is still cheaper then a new engine. (Normally quoted 9-10k)

Hope you get it back in the road.

I just did my pump exchange from united $2800 including injectors. New motors are cheap now $6000 in wa from head exchange. Good luck!

$7900 all up inc new head, new water pump, thermostat & rebuild of diesel injector pump.

A few $k more and I could've bought another one same age / km and used it 4 parts. sad , sad, sad.

Latest posts

Back