04 navara under powered

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a manifold leak may make it a bit slower and can sound like a scream.

the butterfly? which one?
theres one in the main cross over pipe and the other is in half of the inlet manifold.
shutting the main cross over pipe one will stop the motor, thats what its there for !
if you shut the other one and it just about stalls you have a blocked inlet manifold/head.

if i was you id unbolt the exhaust so that the is no muffler's left and go for a drive and i reckon the noise will have stoped.
cause it happened to my mates, we thought the turbo was about to go bang.

yeh ive had enough so i took itto the diesel mech in orange. they have had it for 2 days and no word yet. im kinda bit worried hahaha. hope its a simple fix.keep yas posted. thanks for the replies

just got the price for new injector pump and to find the problem with my navara. 4900. im sp ,pissed off this has happened..... does that sound rATHER dear or about right????

Sounds about right, may aswell put a new injectors through it for good measure.

Dave.

New electronic type pumps just cant handle water like older stuff.
I worked in the Torres strait for quite a few years and water in the fuel tanks was common when the boys would pull the bung from the over head tanks to get the last of the fuel,
Older vehicles, hiluxes cruizers would basically fill up the whole pump with water, but new filters and bleed them out and away they go,
Then we got a Rodeo, fuel pump in the tank, one dose of water and it was out of action. A Dx navara got a dose of water and would start and run fine, smooth but way!! down on power. That one was not mine to fix but it would need the pump doing etc.
So all of us with late stuff need to be very careful with the quality of fuel we put in.

^ Gotta agree mate. But the extra caution needed is worth it for the extra power.

Dave.

absolutely. seen way to many stories about vehicles dieing just down the road from the gas station. even here we have had vehicles chew out pumps and injectors due to bad fuel.

however nothing stopping you fitted an extra water trap/filter etc.
one of the problems is the pumps flow such a large amount of fuel back to the tank, that it gets constantly mixed which makes it harder for water to drop out.
had thought about putting the pump outlet into the pump inlet, but fuel temp is also a major issue.

well i got the ute bck all up $5076. now why i dont mind paying that as it sounds like about what it costs. but the ute goes no better at all really. my brothers ute just flogs mine.

the bloke who did the work also said the turbo is still making 15psi so the turbo must be ok right??? but he said its leaking out nrea the manifold and dump pipe.but i didnt get those fixed yet as i needed the ute asap.

could these leaks be causing the under power feeling. they also checked for blocked exhaust and it was fine. the motor compression was 380,400,380,400 which they said was good????
i think i need to drive another stock ute the same to see what it goes like as my brothers may have had chip or something done. my just does not pull like his.. far from it

not sure how they would check if exhaust is not blocked with out taking dump pipe off.

i would fix the leaks which will probably mean pulling the dump pipe and cat off and check how clogged up the cat is.

check what else has been done to it, is EGR been blocked off, any ball bearings in vac pipes etc etc.
the other thing to it could be a case of different fuel.
it would probably pay to compare the two utes side by side. see if one is actually quicker rather than just feels quicker.

oh yeh his is def quicker than mine. and returns a good 150km per tank more.. yeh im not sure as they most certinaly didnt take exhaust off...if i unbolted exhaust from first box and took for a drive could this find out if it is blocked????

they blocked egr and tcr i think it was and said something about still remaining at 20%

oh yeh his is def quicker than mine. and returns a good 150km per tank more.. yeh im not sure as they most certinaly didnt take exhaust off...if i unbolted exhaust from first box and took for a drive could this find out if it is blocked????
no, only way would be to unbolt the cat. its rare to block up a muffler but fouled cats are much more common. the cat is bolted to the turbo so its a bugger of a job getting it out.
they blocked egr and tcr i think it was and said something about still remaining at 20%
can you expand on that. whats TCR ?

if they blocked EGR did they do butterfly mod (disable egr butterfly) ?

its really hard to do things over the net so more info the better.
you could compare what boost it gets at various rpm's to the other vehicle.
that should give you an idea on what the fueling is like.

btw did they try new MAP (boost) sensor?

yeh they cleaned up the boost sensor as it had build up around the thing. and i quote of the papeer they gave me"blocked egr and tcv remained the same at 20%" what ever that means. didnt say they did butterfly mod or anything like that!!!!! i reckon the cat is the next thing to check whn i do manifold gaskets etc. is the cat of ther bottom of dump pipe or is it straight of turbo???

build up around the boost sensor? can you explain a bit more??
any build up is inside it, usually oil and dust.

the other thing to, if the inlet pipes are oily check the rubber joins are not leaking when it hits full boost.

tcv could be timer control valve. 20% being the duty cycle. otherwise no idea :(

got any pics of the motor, especially the vac tube connecting to the butterflies.

yeh mate they didnt do a great deal of explanning. and as u said about not checking the exhaust im bit worried as they said they did. hope they didnt do some other things theyve charged for...

i think ill just pull cat off when the time comes and go from there...

Latest posts

Back