07 Nissan Navara D40 - Engine Problem.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara86

Reaction score
2007 NISSAN NAVARA D40 4.0 Petrol V6

Problem- Heavy ticking noise from timing belt area that comes and goes.

For the passed 6 months i have had a noise that would sound exactly like a timing belt problem coming exactly from the timing belt area. I have had the timing belt replaced twice which does seem to hide the problem for a few weeks. whether the mechanic has greased up that area while changing the belt has put a temporarily mask on the noise or if its something mechanical that is causing to damage the belt to give the ticking noise...

Either way shouldn't expect a mechanical problem especially replace the timing belt twice on a car with under 60,000km.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated,

Mitch

Welcome to the forum, Mitch.

My Navara's just coming up to 66,000km and its only major noise is still the fuel injectors when the engine is cold. This is alleviated somewhat (noticeably) by using 300ml of 2-stroke (JASO-FC Castrol Activ 2T) in a full tank of fuel. So, I don't have first-hand experience with this problem, BUT I do want to take a look through the manual and see if there's something obvious in there.

When the belts were replaced, did they change the tensioner as well? That's about all the manual indicates is in that area. I can't imagine much else that would be in there doing that - the manual doesn't show much else in there.

If the tensioner is sticking, you could have exactly the symptoms you describe (ticking that comes and goes). It would come as the tensioner is stuck and the chain loosens up, then it would go away as the tensioner picks up the slack.

Back