08 d22 2.5cr blowing smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I own a 08 d22 nav with the 2.5 litre cr turbo with 28000km. When taking off it blows alot of smoke for first and second gear.

Just wondering if this is normal or do i have a injector/fuel pump problem?? Or has anyone else had this problems??

Cheers.

Mine had the exact same problem with 29k on it with some other issues also, is in at Nissan as we speak for the week getting injectors looked at and fixing up gearbox/transfer case issues along with the 30k service.

Fairly normal, as long as it's blackish! Mine has nearly always done it but recently it started to get worse until I followed maddogrc's ECU reset procedure (which worked BTW) and is now only blowing the same amount it always has.

Cheers Brad

My 08 used to blow smoke like that, I told Nissan at the 10,000 k service and they reset the ECU, fixed it up.

Fairly normal, as long as it's blackish!

absolute BS !

they do NOT blow smoke. if they do something is wrong. if its always blown smoke then its been faulty from new.

Australia has two problems...... crap fuel which makes diesels blow smoke and idiot mechanics who think blowing smoke is good/normal.

What colour smoke?

Black smoke = too rich, probably injector issues or ECU reset required

White smoke = atomised unburnt fuel in exhaust stream, probably stuck injector

Blue smoke = piston rings, valve guides or excessive PCV input (oil catch can might solve symptom but not cause which may be worn/damaged piston rings causing excessive blow-by)

Brown smoke = passengers terrified beyond the point of voicing concerns normally, slow down!

You can BS me all you like mate but when I was looking at buying the bloody thing it was common knowlege that NAVARAs blow smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive got to agree, every d40 I test drove did, mine does, lots I have seen on the road do.

Only at take off mind you, mine seems to blow it because it is overfueled, ie waiting for the turbo to spool up and start making power. Once it is spooled up it doesn't blow any at all.

Mechanics have told me that a common rail should not blow any, but they do.

Sorry Matt I deleted my post because I didn't want to argue about it!!
Australia has two problems...... crap fuel which makes diesels blow smoke
I can't argue with you about the fuel comment though!

Last edited:
good diesels just don't blow smoke. its rare to see a smoky motor over here. in fact its illegal !

between us and a few mates we have about 7 navaras, mostly D22 and D21. NONE blow smoke. i've seen the odd D40 blow a bit. in fact i've seen more common rails that keep putting puffs of smoke out.
our fuel is better than it used to be but its still not good. mechanic was telling me of the toyotas they service that the fuel filter comes out black :(

none of the nissans, toyotas etc should be blowing smoke. either you have really bad fuel or something is wrong with the engine. either way you need to fix it as the motor is not going to last long.

edit: i should add that we used to get lots of jap imports that smoked. easy enough to fix, just tune the pump to suit our shit fuel. unfortunately you guys have been fooled into thinking that smoke is good. manufactures are to cheap and lazy to tune the motor on your new vehicles to suit the poor fuel.

Last edited:
Australia has two problems...yes i agree.

1/ too many internet experts

2/too many foreigners shitcanning our home.

thanks heaps guys. i got that reset precudure from maddog ecu reset and tried it this arvo and seemed to work straight away!!! Will definately give it a good run in the next couple of days to really test it out though.

old tony, its black smoke just while im into it from standing still till i hit 3rd. i realise diesels blow smoke but this was getting pretty bad!!!

cheers guys for your help will let yous know if it didnt work!!!

I'll have to try this ecu reset. My ute blows so much 'black' smoke it's embarrassing. I'll have a crack on sunday, any tips much appreciated.

ECU reset

Hello to all,
Interested if someone can provide the procedure for the resetting of the ECU for the2009 2:5CR T/D D22 Nav. Mine also smokes abit on take off - especially noticable at nite thru headlights of car behind you - I run BP Diesel from 95% the same garage and use Flash lube diesel conditioner ............and (hopefully without starting another " debate " ) add the old 200ml of 2 stroke oil at most tank fills. The ute runs a DP chip set on position 5 out of 7 and a 3" exhaust and 3" dump pipe - and a thermo fan on the intercooler........and YES it has smoked BEFORE I started using the 2 stroke oil-in-fuel mix.......ute has approx 9700klm on clock - been using the 2 stroke mix since approx 7000klm.......and MAN -what a DIFFERENCE to smoothness and quietness of the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers to all

Hi Firefly,

I'm not going to argue on the 2-stroke deal. It looks like adding $3 worth of oil saves me $7 worth of fuel per tank (seems to be an improvement of 1 litre per hundred km). For that reason alone it's worth it. The DP chip can only really provide benefits by adding more fuel so that's a possible area to look at.

In the meantime, from the thread on the D22 ECU here:

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes.

Good moaning to all,
Thank you Old Tony for those directions re reset ECU.........diid what they said.......but dont know what " SES s/b blinking was " ...............looked on dash for any blinking lights.....none I could see. Hope I did the procedure correct. Vehicle started ok with no fault lights showing...( only started it - havent driven anywhere yet ). Thank you again for your help.

Kind Regards,
Simon.

Back