08 d22 2.5cr blowing smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoke,

I own a 09 str, i basically can do a james bond move. On a slight rise give it some in 3rd and a load of black smoke covers everything behind!!?? little overdue for 10k service,, slightly worried

Tell them when you take it on for a service, might just need the ecu re-mapped or possibly injecters might need looking at, mine played up with a heap of black smoke around 18k-20k, they reset ecu and now no or hardly any black smoke........should do the trick?

Tell them when you take it on for a service, might just need the ecu re-mapped or possibly injecters might need looking at, mine played up with a heap of black smoke around 18k-20k, they reset ecu and now no or hardly any black smoke........should do the trick?

Mine now has 21,000km on it and still blows so much smoke. More than any other d22 navara I've seen on the road, and there is a shit ton of them in Canberra. Goes in for a service next week so I'll get them to do the ecu reset. I've brought up this problem the last 2 times it's gone in but they assure me it's fine. I'm not picking it up till it's fixed

I have a 2nd 08 d22 2.5cr that blows quite bad. From the above posts it is likely the injectors or chip. Does anyone have an idea how much this costs to get fixed? The navara has now done 109000km. No loss in power, fuel economy down a bit...

Welcome to the forum, Teamcook.

The first thing to do is choose the lowest tune on the chip and see if the smoke has gone (or reduced itself to a satisfactory level). If it does, then your culprit could easily be the air filter! It might be worth making sure your turbocharger is spinning freely as well, although if it still has all its power I'd imagine that the turbo is fine - it's always worth checking.

If the air cleaner is ok, run a bottle of injector cleaner through, take it out to a nice steep hill and gun it going up. Then take it out to the freeway and let it breathe for a bit.

So really if my car its chipped and boost is wound up and its smoking a lot I should be ripping it out taking it to Nissan to fix it the putting it all back in?

Do the cheapest, easiest things first. Turn down the tune and see if that fixes it, which indicates that something is causing the fuel to not be burnt completely. That could easily be an air filter. Cheap to check!

The next thing is to throw a $10 bottle of injector cleaner in. If your injectors are in good nick the cleaner won't hurt them, but if they're dirty you'll get the obvious result.

Taking it out and "blowing out the cobwebs" might also help. Quite a few people swear by this - take the car out and don't be gentle on the throttle. Let it rev out to 4000-4500rpm. Give it a chance to breathe well and "clear its throat". It might work!

Alrite so I already had on my todo list for tomoz was to clean air filter as it is a kn unit. I stick paper in for the time being. Also ill turn boost pressure down etc. I'll have to install my chipit software finally lol. I regularly use injectors cleaner anyway so they should be fine. also could it be a cause of not having a cat converter in the exhaust system? It's 2.5" turbo back with just a muffler in it.

Not really. The CAT is supposed to remove NOx from the exhaust, not soot (soot removal is by the DPF which you don't have). If the smoke is black, then something is either over-fuelling or under-airing during the combustion process. The only other thing it could be is something dampening the combustion like EGR does. You do get a fair amount of EGR from the PCV. Do you have a catch can?

If it were a over-eager reductant feed (fuel injected into the chamber during the exhaust stroke so that it's squeezed out into the exhaust to help the CAT) then the smoke would appear white. Performance wouldn't suffer but fuel economy would be disastrous.

It's over fueling or boosting. I'll start as stated and clean the filter and ill drop the tune on the chip. Ordering the cat tomoz cause it really needs one. And maybe a resonator to replace the muffler or even a hotdog style muffler to replace the oval unit a have

Rusty.

I am going to try the ecu reset from this post tomorrow. I will also run a bottle of injector cleaner through it.
Already did the injector cleaner once with no change inthe amount of smoke. It only blows when you accelerate, highway travel is fine.
If I reset the ecu and run I hector cleaner and it still blows, can I get the injectors cleaned or do they have to be replaced?

If you don't have a DPF - and you don't, DPFs are only on STX Dual Cab automatics from 2006-ish to 2010-ish - then SOME smoke on acceleration is perfectly normal. You'll see it even more at night, the headlights of the car behind will often make even a small amount of smoke look like a cloud.

Injector cleaner doesn't always work, but it is always a good first measure because for a small cost, it will remove small amounts of muck from the injectors that might be causing the injector to spray poorly into the cylinder. The best clean is through removal, where the injector can also be inspected for damage. Small pits on the surface of the injector port can cause erratic spray patterns resulting in slightly less power and more smoke, and these would require replacement.

You could just say to hell with it and toss them out, but the best thing is to clean the air filter, making sure there are no other air intake restrictions and your airflow sensors are clean (electrical contact cleaner works well) then compare how yours performs alongside a similar vehicle.

Injectors from Nissan aren't cheap. Get "genuine" ones through Nizzbits instead of a Nissan dealer. I used "genuine" because Nissan don't make their own injectors, they use a third party anyway. I can't remember who makes the injectors, it's a company starting with 'S' I think - someone else might remember and post it up.

Thanks for that, especially the Nizzbits parts. I have never had to check injectors before, is in complicated on this engine?

Hey guys. 2008 D22 ST-R with YD25 no engine mods.

I do get some black smoke on take off and when accelerating. When cruising I don't notice any, I take it this is normal?

Latest posts

Back