08 Jap D22 Front/Rear Diff Ratios

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
Gents/Ladies,

Just entertaining the idea of throwing a set of 33" on the old girl soon-ish, my mate who has an 03 ZD30 has its shoes with 33's and also has his ratios changed and it's great to drive. So now I figure I may do the same in the near future.
What I'm wondering as I can't find specific info is where can I find the specs on my Jap build D22 for front and rear diff's??
Also if anyone has done this what did they change from and to and how have you found it since?? It will have an auto Lokka in the front soon as well, though this shouldn't effect changing the ratios.
I just don't want to stuff the clutch by upgrading half a job.

Cheers Steve.

Front is the R180 has a 7" crown wheel in it. Considered to be the wear part of a navara drivetrain. Can be helped with a locker of some sort, I suggest a selectable locker like a ARB or Eaton.

Rear is a C200 and has a 8" crown wheel, similar in strength to a Dana44 or an 8" hilux rear diff. Again it will benefit from the fitment of a locker.

Stock ratio is 4.375, it can be ok for running 33's but it is a little sluggish off the start. If you do lots of low range and highway work then a set of 4.6 gears is ideally suited. You can go 4.88's but they are suited to a 35" or 37" tire.

Next option is cost, to lock and re-gear both your diffs you are looking at about $500 - 600 ea for the gears, $1500 for a locker and another $500 - 900 for labour and bearings. Id allow $3K for each diff.

I have done this myself and the nav will do some crazy shit, it will just break in other areas like hubs and cv's. Ive actually destroyed 3 front diffs hence why I went down the SAS path

Isn't a v6 front diff a C200 also. Also I had heard ARB didn't make a locker for the C180, but that could have changed.

V6 front diff is an R200 and I believe in the old days there was no air lcoker for the R180 but I think they are available now through some companies

I'm pretty sure arb do that r180 front locker now have done for about 12 months! I could be wrong but I have a 2.5 cr 2010 so if that is the diff in the front of mine arb called to let me know in toowoomba but it was heaps expensive

Thanks guys and thanks Dilmah appreciate the information you answered my question precisely to what I wanted to know. Though spending around $1200 to hold $1200 worth of shoes I may have to wait awhile but I def will considering it. Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back