1969 Honda Z50 K1

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bvandermaat

Reaction score
Now I know this is a Navara forum but I thought I would start a built thread for my motorbike. As stated it a '69 K1 Z50. I have had this since I was 5 and it has always been a bit shoddy looking. My Dad bought this from an old blokes back yard for $300 and had to get a shovel to dig it out of the ground. We purchased 2 K1 and 2 '82 Z50R. One K1 was used as payment to a friend to rebuild my K1 and the Z50R. The other Z50R was used as scrap parts. Throughout the years of my ownership I have decided to paint it a few colours. The last time I painted it was when I was 13, and I Painted it yellow and black. As digital cameras were not around when I was a kid this is the oldest photo I have of it. From about 5 years ago.

attachment.php

Now it was originally dark blue, the fuel tank was light blue. I still don't know what model the tank is from but I suspect it is a K0 tank. I have purchased a new K1 tank. The frame has been sent off to be sandblasted which should be done by the end of the week. I should get it back around the same time that I receive the new parts I have ordered for it. Then I will take it in to be painted. By the end of it I plan to have it back to its former glory. Looking something like this.
img_0433.jpg

In its lifetime someone has decided to cut the headlight mounts off the forks. When we had it rebuilt the handle bars came from an '82 Z50R, the seat is from god know where but it has DELTEK written across the back of the seat.
I have purchased a new tank, headlight assembly, headlight brackets and chrome front and read mud guards. This list will go on but my budget doesn't sadly.

Anyway that is about it for now. Just have to find somewhere to get the engine rebuilt once I can afford it.

Attachments

• Image017.jpg
    Image017.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
I, like so many others, learnt to ride on one of these. They are a fantastic little machine. I was only thinking the other day about maybe tracking one down for a cool toy for me and something for the kids to play on. But finances won't allow, not if I want a lokka!

Cheers Brad

If it has a compliance plate you an get it registered.

Who ever decided to get rid of the headlight brackets decided to take the plate off as well. One thing I wish it had. Since they are made before indicators were compulsory all it needs is a tail light and head light. I will be fitting both of these and hopefully registering it.

I, like so many others, learnt to ride on one of these. They are a fantastic little machine. I was only thinking the other day about maybe tracking one down for a cool toy for me and something for the kids to play on.

I have been tossing up over the years if I should do it up or restore it. The restoration side won out when I found Z50.com.au. I plan to restore my bike and then create a 140cc version using the spares they have available the following year. Roughly, including spares I have, the new bike would be $1500ish.

Alright after a bit of research the seat and tank look to be from a Deltek Rockhopper which was a kit built and sold here in Aus. The kit was basically a rolling chassis that you could stick what ever motor you wanted in. The most common was a Victa 125.
They look a little like this, But as they were a kit bike there are so many fuel tank differences.
dbce_1.jpg

Sounds like a bit of fun aye?

I have started a Thread on a Minibike forum which anyone interested can follow.
Will be great to take this bike out to some of the 4x4 meets and let people have a turn.
Truly a classic bike. Anyway here is the build thread. A lot more to come.
1969 Honda K1 Z50

Alright so those interested I have stopped working on this bike since I have it to a level where I am happy. I decided I would start another bike so that I could take the Navara off the road for a while and get a few things done to it like a boost compensator and the injectors rebuilt. Then a 2 inch body lift and 2 inch suspension. Just a matter of saving the dough now.
Here is the finished (for now) result of my bike. The honda flag is on backwards in this picture but I have fixed it now.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back