1999 D22 Towing upgrade?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juz63

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a D22 Newbie. Just bought an old but very serviceable 3.2 (japanese) with 135,000k's on the clock. V. Happy so far! However, after looking high and low on the net I have finally found the sticker in the front drivers side door (not before buying) which proclaims my towing capacity as 1.8T as opposed to 2.8 which I originally found in my search. I have a 2T tipping trailer which weighs 780k all on it's own with a pretty high Weight at the ball too. I think part of the confusion is from the fact that it (the car) was first reg in 2000, so I was looking at capacities for 2000 models not '99.... Anywho, my question is this. Can anyone tell me why there seems to be a jump in capacity (or did I just settle on some erroneous info)? Or why the capacity is so low for these earlier models/ what work needs to be done to up the rating? Is it Lowauthe chasis is weaker than required or because it's got drums on the back not discs. or because the motor is not considered strong enough? Or what? Did they just review criteria and change them after 2000? I'm stumped. Is there anything I can do without too much fuss to improve legal tow capacity? Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on my problem.

Everything I can find on the 99 model shows 1500kg towing braked.
The 2000 S3 (released 06/2000) is listed as 2000kg braked.

The rating is purely done by the manufacturer. It can not be altered after first rego.
ARB does offer a kit for Toyota Landcruisers to increase CGM/Towing capacity but needs to be fitted before first Rego.
Not much help.... sorry.

Thanks BJ, Yeah, the sticker says at the top 1500Kg for 4x4 "all variants" but then at the bottom it says 1890Kg for 4x4 QD32. I know with some other fourbys. some folk can get an engineer to upgrade by upgrading suspension/brakes and with some even beefing up the chasis..... although beefing up the chasis might just be a step too far in my books

Last edited:
GCVM increased when the ZD30 came in.

The vehicle tare, braking system, transmission, chassis and suspension are not significantly different between the D22 S1 and S2. The engine output is, so this will be the main limiting factor. The QD will pull your load at highway speed, but it will take longer to get there. Cooling system capacity also has an influence on GCVM.

You're not going to turn any heads towing 2T with that vehicle, so don't be too concerned.

Thanks Dion. Not sure if it's retro-fitted or stock but there's an extra fan on the front of the radiator... so, hopefully, that at least takes care of the cooling a little. I understand that it won't pull up to H/way speeds too quickly, it won't do that UNloaded... No rice puddings are quaking in their metaphorical boots. : 0 More concerned about legality than the vehicles ability. Thanks again for your answers guys. Cheers, justin.

Post-rego you can get a vehicle's GVM (the total maximum mass of the laden vehicle, NOTHING to do with the trailer) increased but there's nothing you can do to alter the GCM (which is the total maximum mass of the laden vehicle plus the laden trailer).

If your car has a GCM that is 2T or more above its GVM then you can legally tow that trailer after getting the vehicle inspected by an engineer. Engineers will NOT adjust the GCM. Your brakes, suspension, chassis and VERY importantly, the towing hitch and its connection to your chassis are the overriding concerns here.

To legally tow 2T in NSW you need to have an electric brake controller. You only need a breakaway brake monitor installed in your cabin if your trailer is over 2T. You will need 2x safety chains, rated shackles and if the ball weight is significant, using a weight distribution hitch is highly advantageous. If you're taking it to an engineer to have it inspected for approval (providing your car's GCM allows for it) then having all of it set up ready will help the engineer - they'll know that you've done your homework and are serious about doing it right. BTW - cross the chains over underneath the tow hitch.

It's all moot if your GCM is too low. GCM is max trailer weight + GVM - you should be able to argue that reduced vehicle mass can be applied to the trailer. This means that if you have a car that has a GVM of 2.5T plus a towing capacity of 1.8T (which is a GCM of 4.3T), you should be able to limit your car's mass to 2.3T and tow 2T (= a GCM of 4.3T).

I don't know if that works in Victoria. You'd have to discuss it with a certifying engineer first, or your version of Roads and Maritime Services. I've called the technical department of ours (at the time known as the Roads and Traffic Authority, or RTA) and have spoken with a number of people who were approachable and knowledgeable.

Back