1st gear abit low maybe ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just wondering if you guys use first gear all the time or use 2nd gear more when taking off from traffic lights etc etc on flat ground ? my reason for asking this is it seems like 1 st gear is rather low abit like my old ford courier 2 x 4 drive ute where i only used 2nd gear unless 1st was needed on a hill start etc. [ 2.5 ltr 5 speed navara ]

First time that question has EVER been asked in this forum about a Navara. Kudos for an original question!

Is it too low? Depends. Go 315/75R16s and see how it feels.

No I don't think it's too low, if ever you get in a situation that you need it you may even want it lower, it's not a road car so just general driving around doesn't really show the need for it but I'm glad it's how it is, especially when crawling in traffic at idle it's gold even though that's not the idea behind the gearing.

you would have to be the first to think that :/
1st gear is tall in navaras compared to other makes.

i'd rather it a bit lower.

some guys have had to use low range 1st on hill starts when towing.\

yes i know this first gear ratio would be great for off road and hill starts etc but for normal road use from traffic lights it seems to me the 1st ratio is quite low , all other gears are great just the first gear gets me off the mark slow and around 20kmh without reving the guts out of the engine. maybe its just me and normal for a 4 x 4 manual.

Even my auto d40 1st seems low. But then agian it's my 1st diesel and really wouldn't want in any higher. When Towing

yes i know this first gear ratio would be great for off road and hill starts etc but for normal road use from traffic lights it seems to me the 1st ratio is quite low , all other gears are great just the first gear gets me off the mark slow and around 20kmh without reving the guts out of the engine. maybe its just me and normal for a 4 x 4 manual.

It's normal for any commercial vehicle.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie this forum, I only just signed up today and I was going through these posts and I noticed this one. And I had to think something similar with the D22 QD32 2000 model. It's got fairly low 1st gear, well I think it does anyway. I don't drive any other vehicles other then my Navara and I'm a learner but could of had my P's months ago. And also another thing I've noticed as well, not sure whether ya like this with all manual gearboxes, but with mine I've basically got to come to almost a compete stop before I can put it into 1st from 2nd gear! Does anyone know what that would be? I'm just curious that's all because it seems as if something is blocking it from going into 1st until I get to a certain speed and it doesn't happen with any other gear! Thanks guys.

I would prefer a slightly lower 1st gear when climbing rocky bouncy stuff when in 4x4 so you dont have to drop it into low box.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie this forum, I only just signed up today and I was going through these posts and I noticed this one. And I had to think something similar with the D22 QD32 2000 model. It's got fairly low 1st gear, well I think it does anyway. I don't drive any other vehicles other then my Navara and I'm a learner but could of had my P's months ago. And also another thing I've noticed as well, not sure whether ya like this with all manual gearboxes, but with mine I've basically got to come to almost a compete stop before I can put it into 1st from 2nd gear! Does anyone know what that would be? I'm just curious that's all because it seems as if something is blocking it from going into 1st until I get to a certain speed and it doesn't happen with any other gear! Thanks guys.

Changing down into 1st when you are moving should probably only be done when you are fully loaded and/or towning and you are struggling up a hill.... or difficult terrain.... or engine breaking with a super heavy load..... otherwise just slow down in 2nd and use the brakes....

There is nothing wrong, the reason you have to be almost stationary is because of the low gearing, they're geared this way so they can pull weight more easily.

Latest posts

Back