2" lifted old man emu springs sag?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav05ST-R

Reaction score
Hey guys
just wondering if you 2 inch lifted leaf springs sit flat or do the curve without load.
Thanks Luke

OME are well known for sagging to the point where they become inverted. Depending on the springs application it could be slight curved or flat and still give 2" of lift.

Should sit flat with a little curve, cant sag. Without proper shocks it might sag.

Shocks have absolutely nothing to do with the ability of a spring to hold up the weight of the vehicle.

Thanks heaps for the reply's guys was just curious as my mates hilus have a decent curve in them.
Thanks Luke

Hi all...just joined the forum..i see lots of helpful info! i was wondering about the ome leaf springs that i have on my D22..without load they sit flat...with load they become inverted, is this normal? i use it for farmwork...maybe i should get heavy duty leaf springs?

Hi all...just joined the forum..i see lots of helpful info! i was wondering about the ome leaf springs that i have on my D22..without load they sit flat...with load they become inverted, is this normal? i use it for farmwork...maybe i should get heavy duty leaf springs?

hey mate i have medium load and they still flex really well and cary shitloads don't think you could fit enough in the back to move heavy duty ones
Luke

my ironman 2 inch springs sit a little off flat (still slightly curved) with a few hundred kgs in the back

I put OME 200 kg load kit in a couple of years ago, and almost straight away they flattened out and invert a little when the back is full.
Im happy with shocks and bars and the ride, but if I could do it again I'd try a different rear spring.

also have OME leaf's and without load they sit pretty flat. Put it next to another navara with factory suspension and the back sits the same height, i don't see any lift in mine. taking it back next week

Apparently leaf springs work better when they are flat. ?? shrug, i dont know. I've done probably 60,000km on my OME springs, loaded with probably 400kg on top of the steel tray most of the time, frequently with probably over a ton. I specified the type of loads they would be used for when i ordered them, so I assume they're the heavy duty ones. They were pretty much flat when I got them, the extra height is achieved from the way the eye is bent. My ute definately sits a good bit higher in the back than stock, especially when unloaded. If they've sagged its not by much. The standard leafs were shagged after the same amount of abuse, they would invert under a decent load parked on an even surface. The omes don't, they have worked better loaded and unloaded than the standard items. Heavy duty shocks dont hurt either, when you hit big bumps with a load. The standard ones were pathetic from new. Also the difference in articulation between the standards and the OMEs was chalk and cheese. I dont want to sound as if i work for the cunts tho, I'm sure there are better products around but iv found them superior to standard in every aspect.

Last edited:
there solution was to add another leaf which will roughly give 15-20mm lift, i'm still curious as to why the leafs sit flat with no weight in the back

also have OME leaf's and without load they sit pretty flat. Put it next to another navara with factory suspension and the back sits the same height, i don't see any lift in mine. taking it back next week

i think it has to do with it being IFS, the overall height of a IFS vehicle is lower than a solid axle front end vehicle and if the rear springs had the same or close to the curve that solid axle 4x4 do than the arse would sit ridicously high, thats my thoughts though

Iv got ome leaf springs and std torsions wound all the way up, it still sits higher in the back than at the front will post pics when i get around to it.

dunno if this helps pretty average photo only one i had on hand, 2 inch old man emu seems to still have a slight bend in the springs. weight in tub when pic was taken includes arb canopy, cargo drawers and roughly 45 litres of diesel in sub tank.

Attachments

• 20120411_55.jpg
    20120411_55.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 160
thank you guys for your replies...will post a picture when i get a chance, to show you how the leaf springs sag when loaded..but from some of the responses i can see this is just something that happens with this suspension on a D22..still, the ride is way better than with stock suspesion

Latest posts

Back