2006 D22 3.0L ,LAcks Power, Terrible fuel Cons

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom21

Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first post and am hoping to find a way forward with my sons recently purchased ZD30 which is running like crap!
Late 2006 ZD30, 140,000kms
Symptoms: Terrible fuel cons - 520km/tank
NO Guts: no torque, even hard to start off on small hill.
Runs Ok: eg no smoke, idles well
Noticeable lag from idle thru to 2500rpm at standstill when you put your foot down.

Mechanic is trying really hard with it. He has blocked off EGR, replaced wastegate actuator (thanks Jamie @ Forefront - who also did say that it wouldnt be that); Turbo seems to be boosting fine and within spec;

How do i safely pull the codes?Tried teh accelerator method. Was reluctant to short out pins 1& 8 on diagnostic connector. Is this OK to do this?

Any help appreciated :) On the surface teh motor sounds and looks great - until you need to go anywhere with any sort of power.

cheers scott

Last edited:
if no engine light on while driving then i doubt there will be any codes stored.

check fuel lines for air leaks. it may be sucking air in. clear fuel line on pump outlet look for bubbles. get someone to rev the engine when you do this.
also check the one way valve in filter head is working ie fuel con't be sucked back down to tank.
no blocked/bent/crimped fuel lines. fuel breather is not blocked.

otherwise pull the glows and see what they look like
then pull the injectors and get them tested.
compression test engine.

Dodgy boost sensor maybe, try checking the voltage or borrowing one. Where do you live?

Attachments

• boost sensor.jpg
    boost sensor.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 86
Hi there
Far south coast nsw
Cheers

Nowhere near me then. Having poor fuel economy but not blowing smoke and a lack off power is unusual. ZD30's aren't that complicated compared to newer models so theres not too many things it could be but hard to figure out when its not in front of you.

Could also be the throttle position sensor on the accelerator pedal. They read 0.4 volts at idle up to 4.7 volts at W.O.T. Try doing a pedal reset, which is to leave it idle for 10 minutes.

Doesn't really sound too bad. You are getting 12.5 l / 100. What tyre size do you have on? Use a gps to measure your fuel consumption, the speedo isn't all that accurate. As for the torque, it's in the zd30's nature to have no torque below 2500rpm.

Nowhere near me then. Having poor fuel economy but not blowing smoke and a lack off power is unusual. ZD30's aren't that complicated compared to newer models so theres not too many things it could be but hard to figure out when its not in front of you.
Hi again
Thanks fir the info. I Checked sensor terminals with car at idle . Is that right? No voltage at all. Which of the three pins should I check. Dc volts I assume . Seem to make no diff to engine running at all. Didn't have fault light before. Since I reconnected now have fault light.
Cheers scott

Doesn't really sound too bad. You are getting 12.5 l / 100. What tyre size do you have on? Use a gps to measure your fuel consumption, the speedo isn't all that accurate. As for the torque, it's in the zd30's nature to have no torque below 2500rpm.
Hi there
Thanks.
Took a friends d22 for a drive. Similar rig. Heaps of torque compared. This is terrible compared to his. Tyres are bigger than standard. Shouldn't be that much diff.
Cheers again

Hi again Thanks fir the info. I Checked sensor terminals with car at idle . Is that right? No voltage at all. Which of the three pins should I check. Dc volts I assume . Seem to make no diff to engine running at all. Didn't have fault light before. Since I reconnected now have fault light. Cheers scott
Yeh sorry. Don't have fault light as previously stated. Cheers

I can't remember which pins are which, but one will be at battery (-) 0V, one at battery (+) 12V, and the third will range from just over 0v at no boost and up to almost 5v at full boost.

Should read 2 volts warmed up at idle according to the manual. Check it at the yellow wire with it plugged in as it would normally be with the engine running.

Attachments

• boost sensor 2.jpg
    boost sensor 2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 51
The white wire in the middle of the brown plug on your accelerator pedal reads the throttle position, 0.4 at idle up to 4.7volt flat out.

Attachments

• IMG_7988.jpg
    IMG_7988.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 46
The white wire in the middle of the brown plug on your accelerator pedal reads the throttle position, 0.4 at idle up to 4.7volt flat out.
Thanks rumpig
Do I check with the plugs connected or unplugged at the brown plug ?
Thanks again I really appreciate the help
Cheers Scott

Yes, this will have the nps. Do a search on neutral position switch test and see if it helps.

Thanks rumpig
Do I check with the plugs connected or unplugged at the brown plug ?
Thanks again I really appreciate the help
Cheers Scott

Check it with the plug in and ignition on or engine running. You should be able to stick a multimeter probe down beside the wire.

Tyres make a big difference. When I bought my d22 it was running 29" tyres and getting 750ks of a tank.
Now with 33's I'm lucky to get 550 doing highway driving

Latest posts

Back