2010 D22 Dual Cab Review

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splinter

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been a happy T31 X-Trail owner for the past three years but now thinking of upgrading to a new D22 ST-R dual cab ute. Net comment ranges from very good to very bad by users and reviewers. My main concern is towing ability as I'd want to pull an Avan Cruiser (approx 1500kg fully loaded) and don't want to either be a danger on the highway due to low travelling speed through underpower or be guzzling fuel i.e 15-20 L/100km.
Can anyone address these concerns and give me some idea of just how good and/or bad these vehicles are please?
Thanks in advance,
Splinter

Welcome to the forums Splinter.

Not owning a D22 I can't say for sure that your concerns aren't warranted however I do know there is a large number of D22's on here that tow 1.5t without issue on a daily basis and I don't think too many of them are quoting 15+ on the fuel figures.

Like any manufacturer Nissan make lemons and there is a chance you could end up with one but remember that bad news always travels faster and louder than good news therefore it's not unlikely to hear a lot of bad stories. There has been a few nightmare stories from D22 drivers on but over all the majority of owner are pretty pleased.

Mate, there is a thread on here dedicated to fuel consumption. Check it out. I love my d22, haven't towed much yet though, buy yeah kind of figured that's what it's made for.

Hi Splinter, I regularly tow a Coromal Silhouette which tips the scales at 1090kg unladen, loaded up and it would be close to the 1400kg mark and I can honestly say I can't feel the van at all on the back so long as the brakes are set right. We were recently looking at upgrading to a full van and weren't too concerned about the weight so long as we could keep it under 2t loaded. Anything over and it would, IMHO, be a nightmare on longer trips. (BTW we kept the Coromal for now)
I think the weight you'll be pulling is ideal, just remember it's how you drive that determines the amount of fuel you use ie. don't let the engine labour in a higher gear than is necessary. I tow in 5th mostly once the vehicle is moving along nicely and always drop back to 4th for a decent hill. I've met Hilux drivers in parks that sit on 90km's religiously and in 4th gear trying to be fuel conservative, bugger that!!!!
I manage to get the same l/km on trips as I do running around town (short trips) with the ute loaded full of plumbing tools etc. which is anywhere between 11 & 13 litres/ 100kms.

Hope this helps cheers Brad

Guy's,
Thanks to you all for your input. Much appreciated. I took wifey down to the local dealer this morning (Sat), took one for a test drive and have signed up, expect to take delivery next week. I managed to squeeze another grand for my trade and a set of rubber floor mats out of the dealer, but despite my best negotiating skills, couldn't do any better. I was surprised by the ride comfort and quietness of the ST-R. Road holding and handling seemed fine, and barring any nasties that might crop up in the future, I think the vehicle will serve us very well.
Now I'm a member of the forum, I will post further comments once I've had a chance to experience the vehicle. Thanks again for the welcome and your response to my inquiry.
Splinter.

Latest posts

Back