2012 D40 thai build - Basic offroad set up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vomitbomb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I infrequently go offroad and when I do it's normally for a bit of exploring or travelling between campsites etc. I have been on a few outings where I've had the only car so the mods I'm interested in doing are more for piece of mind. Not interested in bog holes or hill climbs, just getting places in a comfortable and reliable manner. You might call it entry/pansy level.

The things I have in mind are:

• bull bar (mainly just for the ability to run a winch)
  • winch (for piece of mind, may never be used)
  • snorkel
  • 2 inch lift

Anyone had any experience with a similar setup and costs associated? I'm looking at getting ARB to supply and install the bits but it doesn't appear easy to get definitive costs on anything. Maybe some advice on items I may have overlooked as well?

Last edited:
Start with suspension, that'll be around $2500.00

Bullbar, thats good to keep roos and other stuff off the front of the car, plus pushing over saplings etc. Another $2500 - $3000

Snorkel, don't bother.

Not much help I know, but it's a start.

Start with suspension, that'll be around $2500.00

Bullbar, thats good to keep roos and other stuff off the front of the car, plus pushing over saplings etc. Another $2500 - $3000

Snorkel, don't bother.

Not much help I know, but it's a start.

Thanks for the reply siringo.

I'm probably just overly paranoid about water. I've drowned and killed an engine before (dirtbike) and that cost a lot. I imagine a Navara would be a little bit more expensive.

Hey there, I've recently thrown a few $$$ at my car since the start of the year so I hope I can give you some of my knowledge as others have done for me...

Ok, my bullbar is MCC Falcon and cost me $1300 supply only. Figure $350 for fitment.
I got a suspension quote from zordo on here $1600 delivered supply only.
Winch is a supercheap ridge ryder 9500lb got it for $370.
UHF is oricom 300 from supercheap for $200 with 4.5db antenna.

All this I installed myself so fitment costs are nil.
Don't worry about a snorkel but I do recommend a UHF as there's often no mobile reception in the places we tend to go.

Hope that helped.

Hi ,
a bull bar, winch and Accessories , a 2 inch raise in suspension, good tyres, snorkel , 2nd Battery, good lights, Uhf radio . Just to start .
I wouldn't be without a snorkel especially in the dust gets cleaner air from up higher than down in the dust of the wheel and road . Bull bar for fending off objects and mounting your winch and lights. A 2 inch raise will get you through most of the crap and if you are really worried get some bash plates. lets face it your 4 feet are what grips the ground and road tyres just wont cut it at least a set of at's . 2nd Battery because you will want to have accessories running such as fridge, phone chargers and inverter. Uhf I agree that in the bush they are great but the amount of absolute Richard crianiums on the radio around town make it a bush toy in my truck. Just my take on basics .

Greg

Bull(Roo)bar is essential - if you hit one at reasonable speed without one it can be a major incident ($2500).

A 2" lift ($2000) and decent tyres ($depends on choice) will help you get most places.

Then I would consider underbody protection as the sump drain point is in a very silly spot and puncturing that would be a bit of a drama ($700 ARB).

A snorkel is a good idea because if the increase air flow to the engine and less dust ($800 ARB).

A catch can is a good idea to stop recyled oil and diesel vapour back through the air intake (<$200).

Likewise an ERG blanking plate stops exhaust gas going back through the air intake (<$20).

You would only really need a winch if you are tackling some pretty serious stuff - generally a shovel, some sweat and a snatch strap will get you out of most stuff.

This forum has lots of good advice so start by searching for the things people have listed here already and you will get a good idea of what you need - and what is a bit excesive.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup.

D40, Factory bull bar, UHF, snorkel.

Just ordered - Dual batteries, 2inch lift & front locker.

Post this, new tyres (can't come to grips with replacing new ones)

If I had my time again, I wouldn't of gotten the factory bar and gotten after market (tip for anyone who don't want to make my mistake!)

Latest posts

Back