2013 Navara Cape York Adventure!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems strange how many people happen to be planning a trip for the same year, but 2013 is the one we planned to give it a go. So very keen, the new nav should be fully ready by then and the young fella at least a year old so its perfect timing for myself and the wifey!

Aboslutely keen to do it with a bunch of like minded blokes/families! I usually air on the cautious side but with support I'm even more keen!

A bloke at work bought a paj 2nd hand that is fully kitted out and has done the OTL many times and its nothing special... so I'm sure the horror stories are true but stem from those that have no idea or attack it at the wrong time of year....

NA_R33 said:
It seems strange how many people happen to be planning a trip for the same year, but 2013 is the one we planned to give it a go. So very keen, the new nav should be fully ready by then and the young fella at least a year old so its perfect timing for myself and the wifey!

Aboslutely keen to do it with a bunch of like minded blokes/families! I usually air on the cautious side but with support I'm even more keen!

A bloke at work bought a paj 2nd hand that is fully kitted out and has done the OTL many times and its nothing special... so I'm sure the horror stories are true but stem from those that have no idea or attack it at the wrong time of year....

Reason I planned for 2013 is so I'll have time to have the Nav 100% setup by then and planned a home purchase first :)

Only dick-brains fail on the Old Telegraph track!

G,day gents,

For those of you, who are concerned about the Navara’s off road capabilities on the Old Telegraph track, don’t be too concerned. I did it this July towing a Jayco Hawk off-road camper trailer.

The worst crossing for us was the very first one Palm Creek. It was chewed up pretty bad so we end up bypassing that crossing and headed 60 ks up the Northern bypass road until we reached the turn to Heathlands Ranger Station. We then back tracked through Gunshot, Dulhunty River, Alice creek and we finally camped at Ducie River.

The worst crossing was on the Northern section of the Telegraph track at Nolan’s Brook. The lessons hear is quite simple, no snorkel or car bra do not attempt crossing due to the deep nature of this crossing. We witnessed two vehicles which sunk and hydraulic their engines. When we arrived at Bamaga BP service station, we were advised that 28 vehicles so far this season failed to make it across Nolan’s. When we left a week later, the figure was 30. So many dick-brains with very little grey matter between their eyes, F—kem they deserve there outcomes.

All I did was walk the crossing and watch the line the previous vehicle had taken. I then duck-tape the D40s doors and the camper trailer doors and vents, fitted a car-bra and with my snorkel fully sealed gently crossed in 2nd low creating a bow wave and when I was nearing the other side, give it a few more revs to pull out the camper trailer. I also had my winch cable and snatch strap at the ready.

The really embarrassing thing was just before we got to the Jardine River crossing my youngest daughter wanted to go the toilet. So thinking that the passenger side of the Northern bypass road was firm, then pulled over only to be sunk to the f—king axles in bull-bust. (You can read about that in my up coming article on my trip to Cape York)

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

I keen to give as good a "yep i'll go" as i can 2 years out. Was planning (and really looking forward to it) to go next may but the mrs has changed that with a 2nd child due the month I was planning on going.. bloody women. anyway 2013 sounds good and if the family don't come i'll head off by myself!

edit: and i hope to see a number of good trips organized over the next few years. I gotta get out there and do it!!

Last edited:
Hey Al you seem to have experience... Wifey is due late feb with our 1st, would it be ok to have him bouncing around the back of the car at age 1??

haha i'm no expert, i have heard to plenty going with infants on trips even as young as 6 weeks but it comes down to your personal decision. I reckon you really need to wait till they have good neck strength control, By 1 yr they should be fine but it really depends on the baby. You can get good neck support or pad them with rolled up towels to support their heads. I reckon if you got a good seat and head support their fine. I forget when my son had his first trip with slow bumpy stuff, maybe 18mths? He tends to just go to sleep lol. Oh and congrats mate. Everyone is gonna have a different view i guess thats just mine and my wifes. Heck one of my brothers was born in Bamaga when we lived there and you can bet my parents didn't have fancy car seats like today. In the end they aren't made of glass and they adapt pretty quick.

2013 cape york trip!

This trip does not have to be a Navara Asia sanctioned trip! As one member as already stated;

“We don’t have to go as a club, we don’t need insurance all we need is a few likeminded people who want to do the cape trip in a relaxed /family friendly environment and enough time for people to get organised and prepared”

As previously stated, there are a number of alternative tracks on the developmental Rd and the Telegraph-track, so that is not a problem. However, not all the crossings have by-pass tracks. But that is not an issue. The real issue is the number of people on the track during June/July period. After coming back this time and striking friendships with several locals up there. I would personally recommend going up there in August for the following reasons;

1. June/July is the busiest time because of the School holidays around Australia. Good camp spots are hard to find during the school holiday period. That’s why we are pulling our kids out of school in August 2013.

2. August means less tourists which = better camping options at the prime camping areas; ie Lion’s den hotel, Chili beach, Elliot and Fruit bat falls, etc

3. Less traffic on the Bloomfield track, Developmental Road and the Telegraph track etc

4. Less people at the Tip.

5. Most importantly, for those members who just want to travel the Peninsula Developmental Road to Bamaga/the Cape. The water levels across the various creeks and rivers will be minimal. Two wheel drive vehicles drive to the Cape all the time. It’s all about timing!

6. The weather is at its best in August.

Also as previously stated; for those of you, who are concerned about the Navara’s off road capabilities on the Old Telegraph track, don’t be too concerned. I did it this July towing a Jayco Hawk off-road camper trailer.

The worst crossing for us was the very first one Palm Creek. It was chewed up pretty bad so we end up bypassing that crossing and headed 60 ks up the Northern bypass road until we reached the turn to Heathlands Ranger Station. We then back tracked through Gunshot, Dulhunty River, Alice creek and we finally camped at Ducie River.

The worst crossing was on the Northern section of the Telegraph track at Nolan’s Brook. The lessons hear is quite simple, no snorkel or car bra do not attempt crossing due to the deep nature of this crossing.

We witnessed two vehicles which sunk and hydraulic their engines. When we arrived at Bamaga BP service station, we were advised that 28 vehicles so far this season failed to make it across Nolan’s. When we left a week later, the figure was 30.

So many dick-brains with very little grey matter between their eyes, F—kem they deserve there outcomes.

All I did was walk all the crossing's and watch the line the previous vehicles had taken. I then duck-tape the D40s doors and the camper trailer doors and vents, fitted a car-bra and with my snorkel fully sealed gently crossed in 2nd low creating a bow wave and when I was nearing the other side, give it a few more revs to pull out the camper trailer. I also had my winch cable and snatch strap at the ready.

If you are interested in heading up to the cape in 2013 let us know! Remember we all do not have to travel as a group. We all have different needs; some of us travel slower than others, some of us might want to spend an extra- night at a certain location. Some of us might want to walk various tracts or even try some gold prospecting. We can always organise to set up to meeting points at various locations. The aim is having life-time experience and all meeting one another at tip for that famous group photo.

PS, I will be heading up in August 2013 with my father and father-in-law who will be driving a fully kitted out GU Nissan Patrol wagon. My family and will kitted out in our GU Nissan Patrol wagon and our Jayco off road camper trailer.

Regards,

RLI
:idea:

ive kept an eye on this thread and its looking good. i will be heading to cape york July/August 2012 with a bunch of mates for the first real trip in the nav and i cant wait. i will make sure i get heaps of piccies up once it happens but its still 7-8months away yet. then mid 2013 i may be heading to kimberleys with my brother and a few of his mates.

should be fun

Rusty

ive kept an eye on this thread and its looking good. i will be heading to cape york July/August 2012 with a bunch of mates for the first real trip in the nav and i cant wait. i will make sure i get heaps of piccies up once it happens but its still 7-8months away yet. then mid 2013 i may be heading to kimberleys with my brother and a few of his mates.

should be fun

Rusty

Good onya Rusty!

I wish you and your mates all the best.

Regards,

RLI

i have heard to plenty going with infants on trips even as young as 6 weeks but it comes down to your personal decision.

Yep our youngest was 6 weeks old when we did that trip - we are planning on going again in September next year (yep we know wet season - just makes it a bit more challenging) - Wife & kids fly to Cairns (from Brissy) - I drive straight through to cairns - we do the trip in an easy 2 weeks and then everyone comes back from Cairns on the train (including the d22) - We have 3 x 4wd's at this stage - anyone is welcome.

As a side note - it is a very easy trip these days - the first time I went to the cape was 25 years ago in my dad's VW - we had no problems except the river crossings and for those we chained the vw between 2 4wd's to stop it floating away.

Yep our youngest was 6 weeks old when we did that trip - we are planning on going again in September next year (yep we know wet season - just makes it a bit more challenging) - Wife & kids fly to Cairns (from Brissy) - I drive straight through to cairns - we do the trip in an easy 2 weeks and then everyone comes back from Cairns on the train (including the d22) - We have 3 x 4wd's at this stage - anyone is welcome.

As a side note - it is a very easy trip these days - the first time I went to the cape was 25 years ago in my dad's VW - we had no problems except the river crossings and for those we chained the vw between 2 4wd's to stop it floating away.

G,day Dirtjockey,

I hope you and your family had a very merry and happy Christmas.

Q: I am curious to know the cost to transpost the D22 from Cairns to Brisbane?

Regards,

RLI

Hey RLI,

thanks Christmas was good and peaceful - it' always nice with young kids - i think they make it more exciting.

I am curious to know the cost to transpost the D22 from Cairns to Brisbane?

$400 - they run a service 3 times a week and you need to book in advance. But I think it's a good way to finish and wind down - you have 24 hours on the train and get home refreshed - the kids can run around (kind of) + it's quicker than you could do the drive and probably cheaper if you take in fuel & at least 1 nights accomodation. About the only restriction is that you cannot carry any fuel (except whats in the vehicle).

Hey RLI,

thanks Christmas was good and peaceful - it' always nice with young kids - i think they make it more exciting.

$400 - they run a service 3 times a week and you need to book in advance. But I think it's a good way to finish and wind down - you have 24 hours on the train and get home refreshed - the kids can run around (kind of) + it's quicker than you could do the drive and probably cheaper if you take in fuel & at least 1 nights accomodation. About the only restriction is that you cannot carry any fuel (except whats in the vehicle).

G,day dirtjockey,

That's not a bad price at all. It's info like this that allows the folks out there another option to think about, especially if you have young ones!

The whole idea is to have a great holiday for everyone, even our handbrakes! er wifes/partners

Good onya mate,

Regards,

RLI

G, day folks,

Just enquiring if any members from the forum will be heading up to Cape York in August 2013?

If so, and you would like to meet up some ware on the track or at the tip, please advise.

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

I would love to do a cape trip in 2013 but the only problem i would have no one to go with(recovery 4bys) so for me to go i would have to tag along or go on an organised venture.

i a few guys from here were looking to make a trip up i would be happy to form part of the team

i want to go, of course can not confirm this far out. leaving from gold coast

It really depends for us.

As it is, we have a Birdsville trip in September this year - hopefully with a run out to Big Red and Poeppls' Corner. In November we've got the Muster in the Vic high country.

We want to fly to Uluru in March/April, so a trip up to the cape in May/June is a bit close. We've also got an east-west trip planned "at some point" - that trip will take us a month to complete!

However, it is not beyond the realms of possibility for us to make the Cape next year. We might yet chuck the Uluru idea or we might have saved some extra cookies and be able to do the trip.

It seems like there's a few people quite keen on it. If we go, we'll just tag along - we'll take the caravan as far as Weipa and will do the tracks further north from there.

It really depends for us.

As it is, we have a Birdsville trip in September this year - hopefully with a run out to Big Red and Poeppls' Corner. In November we've got the Muster in the Vic high country.

We want to fly to Uluru in March/April, so a trip up to the cape in May/June is a bit close. We've also got an east-west trip planned "at some point" - that trip will take us a month to complete!

However, it is not beyond the realms of possibility for us to make the Cape next year. We might yet chuck the Uluru idea or we might have saved some extra cookies and be able to do the trip.

It seems like there's a few people quite keen on it. If we go, we'll just tag along - we'll take the caravan as far as Weipa and will do the tracks further north from there.

G, day young!!!!!!!!!! Tony & Helen,

As previously advised on this thread, Ally and I and my father and our two girls are planning on a 30 day trip in August 2013.

If you are interested in heading up to the cape in 2013 let us know!

Please remember we all do not have to travel as a group. We all have different needs; some of us travel slower than others, some of us might want to spend an extra- night at a certain locations. Some of us might want to spend quality family time with one another’s families.

However, for those of you that is comfortable to tag-along that’s fine too! We are there to help everybody reach the Cape and back home safely.

Please remember this is a very special and unique time, we can always organise to set up to meeting points at various locations on the way up to Cape York! The aim is having life-time experience and meeting one another at tip for that famous group photo.

As previously stated on this thread, the Navara’s (i.e., D22s and D40s) are more than capable vehicle’s for travelling to Cape York. For those of you, who are concerned about the Navara’s off road capabilities on the Old Telegraph track, don’t be too concerned. I did it this July towing a Jayco Hawk off-road camper trailer.

I will be heading up in August 2013 with a fully kitted 2002 4.2 turbo intercooled diesel GU Nissan Patrol wagon, err, I mean, err (an imported Navara 600 4.2 turbo intercooled diesel wagon) and our Jayco off road camper trailer.

I will have all the relevant recovery gear. All I need you to need to have is a quality snatch strap.

You can safely tow your average caravan to Weipa and store it there. From here you can then camp in a tent or swag to the Cape.

I will put forward a draft itinerary soon for your perusal and discussion. I will also put forward a draft trip planner and cost projection sheet also for your perusal. I.e., accommodation costs, food, fuel, permits and other incidentals.

On average it will cost between $ 4 and $ 5,000.00 to do a 30 day trip to Cape York from Coffs Harbour NSW.

keep posted to this thread!

PS, if i croak between now and 2013, please have a drink for me at the Tip! Or, i drink Johnny Walker Blue label!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

We care planning another trip up there in about Aug -Sept 2013 for about 6 weeks. 3 Navs, Patrol Dual cab and a Cruiser Dual cab. Maybe when it gets a little closer we can talk.

Back