2014 D40 low range issuses

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIKREELFISH

Reaction score
hey guys iv owned my navara for about 3weeks now, iv done abit of 4wd in it know mostly in 4wd high, go into some boggy sand that other day, flicked into 4wd LR, Auto btw, and i noticed in manual mode its still changing gear, and you cant even get close to ringing it neck, changing at around 2500-3000 half throttle, i dont have this issue in 2wd of 4wd HR, only in 4WD LR, i took it to nissan and asked them to take a look, and told them the issue is only in 4wd lr, and could they check it out, so i leave the nav with them for a few hours, come back they couldn't get it do do it, strait away i ask did you test it in 4wd Low Range, nar just 2wd and 4wd hr, (wtf) i told you the issue was in low range only, why didnt you test it in low range, then he began to ramble on about this and that, pissed off i jump in my nav drive out the front put in low range 4wd it starts smashing through gear at 2500-3000 half throttle, turn around drive back to nissan, demand some one come for a test drive with me, being built like a brick shit house they complied with my request, get the service manager to come for a spin, show him what its doing, oh your right this doesn't seem normal, Yeah NO S*#T, so i told him he can work out what the issue is as there are no fault codes, then ring me when they have an idea and i'll bring it in, as i need my Nav For work and cant go long with out it, as im not going with out my brand new car why they try and work out whats wrong with it,

has anyone heard of this issue with Low Range 4WD smashing through gears at low revs ? or is this a normal thing, after all this is my first Navara ill up load a video later, so you guys can see whats going out, Cheers NIk

I have heard complaints about the 550's changing up gears when people are trying to go down hills in 1st low but cant say i have heard of anyone complaining in the 4cy YD25 version.

Sounds like they're using the 550's gearbox in it now. Same symptoms - ONLY in 4LO it will happily ignore your gear choice.

There's a fix that Raptorthumper developed, but it's manual intervention and requires cutting wires to the transfer case.

thats right old tony it just changes gears when it wants, it's a pain in the ass, if i knew it was like this i wouldnt of bought a navara, the demo model didnt do it,

thats right old tony it just changes gears when it wants, it's a pain in the ass, if i knew it was like this i wouldnt of bought a navara, the demo model didnt do it,

you drove the demo in low range at revs higher then 2500grand??

Be interesting to see exactly which gearbox it has - sounds like the 550's box. I wonder why they're putting that in the car now?

Nissan's website offers a choice of auto or manual for the ST, but no choice on the STX, so I can only think that it's a different box in yours - but why it's behaving like the 550's box is beyond me.

The spec sheet for 2014 models shows the 5-speed auto with manual mode as an option - looks like they have rejigged the boxes for the 2014 range, and worse than that, they've not resolved the 4LO issue.

It's worth making noise about, because my belief is that it's a software issue and therefore changeable without great expense to Nissan - it's just a motivational thing.

same same

mine is doing the same sort of thing, D40 ST. give it some shit in low range
to get through the bog and it dies in the arse like its upshifted to far. tried manual mode in 3rd gear along the hard beach and looked at the dash a second later and i was in 5th at 25 kph. Bogged twice now because of it.
gotta go see them pricks at nissan again.

Back