2014 ST (Spain) 5 speed auto - tyre comparison

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andell

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether the increased size of tyre will stuff up gearing and revs in my 2014 ST 5 speed auto D40 or not. Going to try the Kumho MT51's.

265/70R17 tyres compared to the stock 255/65R17 tyres are 39.5mm bigger diameter, 124.09mm bigger circumference and 19.75mm bigger rolling radius. That's an increase of 5.17% and the speed variance according to my tables is 4.92%.

I know a lot of people run 265/70R17s okay but I am a bit concerned the auto won't cope too well with the increase.

Anyone running 265/70R17s with the 5speed auto care to comment?

Ta
Andy

Afternoon buddy, I run a set of cooper st maxx in 265 70 17. Also have the 5 speed auto with a custom built canopy. Truck ways in at 3 tonne compared to standard which is closer to 2 tonne. Auto handles the larger tyres really well. Revs are lower at 100/110kph. Don't have any regrets.

No issues I ran 32s on the 2014 ST Auto and now have gone 33s and havent noticed a massive difference. While there is of coarse a loss of power with 33s I am still happy with the grunt that the D40 puts out with the AUTO. Plus you could always go a chip & Exhaust combo to help out if it was a massive difference.

I have 265/75/16's and it drives better, and the speedo is closer to correct. very slight increase in fuel, but I drive it fairly fast everywhere so that is probably just me.

Yeah mate im running 265/70r17 and I reckon its a great match up . It does take a bit more to get rolling but I put a windbooster in and now goes like scalded cat . Im due for another set of tyres and will go the same size again .

I went to 265/75/16(same size as 265/70/17) in 2010 st auto. Did notice power decrease especially going up hills. Most noticeably was diesel consumption went up significantly. I lost 75km a tank and I drive very easy, but they were also mud tyres, so this May account for some of that too. Loved the look and the increase clearance though. For most people the trade off is worth it. For me however I do a lot Kim a week so I,m going back down to 265/70/16 and to either ht or at tyres.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be trying the 265/70R17s Kumho MT51's in a week or so. Will report how they go..

Had the Kumho MT51's for a couple of thousand kms and I think they are worth it although the fuel consumption has increased by about 1km/100kms. Haven't done heaps off road yet but looks like they'll handle the slippery tracks okay which is mainly why I got them. No highway noise to speak of compared to a full muddie. Remains to be seen how they wear.

Latest posts

Back