3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's making a simple job a bit more involved isn't it...

Is there somewhere in the standard dump pipe to put the probe in?? Drilled and tapped in maybey??

Depends on the probe. Some have to be electrically isolated. There's some convenience in using the EGR port - you block the EGR securely without risk of it filling with soot+fuel and lighting up like a solid fuel rocket.

well i have finally ordered my blanking plate off ebay (i know, easy to make but i just don't have the time). hope to have it in a week or so.

what are your experiences with fuel economy? i have been keeping a log for the last couple of fills and i seem to be averaging 11.6 L/100 around town. Is this on the money for a stock truck, and should i expect it to be much better after the plate/vacuum line mods?

cheers,
Tim

i'm always interested in data.
most cases fuel economy improves slightly. however have heard of a couple where it went worse.
one downside of blocking egr and butterfly mod is that the engine now uses more air and is much more reliant on turbo performance and intake restriction. ie a dirty air filter or a hot air intake will make it worse.

i blocked the egr off today and re rooted the hoses and unplug the swirl.
seems to be a lot more smoother. not big thing i didn't notice it sure dus draw more air in through the snorkel. i also notice on my boost gauge at idle the sits a fraction higher than zero. before the mod it used to hover on zero. this anything to be worried bout?
also when im driving up the high way doing 100. the engine seems do make a constant raw sound. i think its more to do with it drawing in so much air through the snorkel and intake. would i be right by saying this or have i done something wrong??

it will draw more air through. sounds will be a bit different dut to that. you will be running more boost at cruise.

Hey boys I blocked my egr awhile ago near the turbo and also near the motor now what's happened is the pipe from turbo side to driver side has snapped just wondering if I cut it do I also block on the drivers side so there will be 3 blanking plates in 1 on the turbo side and the 1 that is on the driver side closest to the front and now also a 3rd were the pipe is is that right or should I take the plate out closest to the front and just blank were the pipe is ?

If it's blocked at the turbo end AND blocked at the inlet manifold end then nothing in between will matter, leave it all there so it LOOKS right but it all serves no purpose now. What would a third blanking plate achieve ?

Yeah the only reason I was going to take it out was because it's like cut in half and it's rattling driving me insane I blocked at the one labeled 1 just wondering if I take the pipe out at 2 do I have to block that one as well ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385255275.118159.jpg

if the egr pipe is broken you only need to block it at no1 (ie inlet manifold) and at the exhaust manifold end.

So I don have to block number 1 also ? Because the pipe is completely snapped in half was worried that shit would get through #1 if I don't block it ?

You said you had number 1 blocked already AND at the turbo (exhaust manifold end) so NO you don't have to block at number 2, cut the pipe off close to the flanges at both ends and bolt the flanges back on especially at the turbo end to sandwich the blanking plate properly.

Anybody local to the Central Coast, NSW able to give me a hand with this I'll chip in for a carton of your choice :)
Cheers,
Amanda.

Hey guys trying to get my head around this! Once you swap the hoses around will you end up with bits of hose left over or should they all be used when the have been changed? Cause when I look at it ( the engine) It looks as if their would be nothing connected to the black solenoid?

Hey guys trying to get my head around this! Once you swap the hoses around will you end up with bits of hose left over or should they all be used when the have been changed? Cause when I look at it ( the engine) It looks as if their would be nothing connected to the black solenoid?

Just checked mine and that's how it's always been - black one connected to nothing. That's cause you don't need it to close the EGR butterfly anymore.

Last edited:
done mine a week ago ended up with one piece of tube left over just used it to join in and out of the last thingi (don't know the name of it)

So I just done this mod today, and I must say I'm not sure if there was much point in doing it. When I took the original gasket or what ever you call it to put the blanking plate in it looked brand new! I was expecting lots of carbon build up on it. It does shut off more smoothly now but I didn't notice much in performance wise if any. Will probably notice it when I next tow the jet ski or a load of wood. Also just wanted to make sure I did this last bit correctly I disconnected the red plug as I read somewhere that it disconnects the swirl valve? Can anyone please just let me know if this is correct!
Cheers chris

Did this today, ran it with snd without the red plug connected and noticed no discernable difference...anyone notice anything between running the red plug in or out?

Overall happy with the mod. Seems to have a littls more get up down low. Let'srsee how fuel goes

Back